Author Topic: Happy to be home!  (Read 3868 times)

JDJ925

Happy to be home!
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:30:19 pm »
My thanks to everyone for their expressions of support. I meant to have posted sooner, but I have been more exhausted than I expected (although I didn’t honestly know what to expect). The pain medication I’m on (oxycodone) tends to make me very sleepy; and by the time the sleepiness wears off, I’m not much in the mood for working at the computer.

My neck muscles are still weak from having spent 6 days of not having to support my big head. I think they atrophied a bit. So after about 15 – 20 minutes at the computer, I have to stop and take a rest. It’s taken me 2 days to type this whole message.

For those who are interested, here is a brief summary of my experience:

I was admitted to the hospital early Thursday (3/9/06). The surgery lasted 11 hours. I spent that night in the recovery ward because there were no empty beds in the neurosurgery ICU. The AN was removed from the right side, and the surgeons were concerned because I couldn’t raise my left arm after I was brought out of anesthesia. Thursday and/or Friday night (it’s all kind of a blur to me) they ran a cat-scan and an MRI to make sure there was no nerve damage to my arm. I was slowly able to regain full usage of the left arm; the temporary paralysis was most likely due to the fact that I had lain on my left side for 11 hours.

I spent Friday and Saturday in the neurosurgery ICU. I found it impossible to get any rest there because they’ve got you hooked up to so many monitors, and compressors, and oxygen tubes, and IV ports, and I don’t know what else. Every time I moved, it would throw off one of the sensors and an alarm would sound. It’s like trying to take a nap with someone standing next to you ready to yell in your ear the second you fall asleep.

At the stroke of midnight Saturday they transferred me to a semi-private general room. On Sunday evening, I was told that I had been scheduled to have a gold eye-weight surgically inserted on the following day. I was therefore not allowed any liquids or solids after midnight Sunday. Turns out that the procedure couldn’t be scheduled until 7pm Monday. So, needless to say, by Monday evening I was pretty uncomfortable.

I was released around noon on Wednesday 3/15/06.

My surgeon told me that they were able to remove the entire tumor. It turned out to be closer to my brain stem than they had thought it would be. The right facial nerve was severed during surgery. The nerve was sutured back into position, and the surgeon believes my prospects are good that a portion of the nerve will regenerate itself after a number of months.

There’s so much more that I feel I could keep writing for days. I’ve been amazed by the depth of generosity and compassion shown to me by my family and friends. Some of you have read the messages my wife has posted. For anyone that must go through this, I could wish no greater fortune for you than that you would have someone as supportive and loving as she has been for me.

Thank you again for thoughts and prayers.
JD
Translab surgery on 3/9/2006 removed 3.2cm AN right ear
Dr. Harry Van Loveren / Dr. Paul Boyev / Dr. John Susac
Tampa General Hospital

Battyp

Re: Happy to be home!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:38:51 pm »
JD I'm so happy to hear form you!  Glad you are home.  We've been sending warm hugs to you and your wife and kiddies!  I remember the beginning being very rough and day by day very slowly it does get better.  Know we are here for you and worry about getting better.  You're wife sound like a very lovely person!  Maybe one day we'll have to hook up your just a little bit south of me. Of course I can't drive that far yet  lol  I used to summer in Avon Park right next door to Sebring.  Take it easy don't try to push yourself too hard! 

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:07:55 pm »
[]
e:
thank you for shareing. what is the gold l weight for..I had radiation a year ago and trying to find a surgeon to remove my an ..it is  little 9mm now, started out  a 5mm in a year it is a 9mm .. so glad that you are doing good hope you have a good recovery.. we need fkor mor epeople that have had surgery to tell us updates that is what gets us threw this ...and good friends
I

radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Static

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 08:18:37 pm »
Glad you're home, I know it was great to be home after all the bs they put you through in the hospital!  You can't take a pee without someone wanting to measure it!  I know what you mean about friends and family support.  My DH was great after mine and all my neighbors cooked for him and my kids, and me too!  It's a good feeling knowing so many people are pulling for you and we're all here pulling for you too!  Take it easy and take things one step at a time!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 08:36:05 pm »
JD,
You are sooo lucky to be home!  I didn't get to come home for 2 months!  Dr. Love (Hubby) had to work--no one to take care of me.  Had to stay with relatives in LA then flew to Florida to stay with dear friend and practice my walking.  It was the dead of winter and we live on a jeep trail, up in the mountains, so no walking here! Lucky lucky you to have good caregivers!
My neck hurt like hell, too. The doc said there was soft tissue damage from twisting the head around and putting it in a big vise-grip. Hot packs and neck rubs!

Have you gotten your baby shampoo yet?  Bet the shower's spinning! Don't have to close the eyes with baby shampoo--no spinning (or not as much.)

All us wenches have been sending you and your family good thought and prayers for a good outcome and a speedy recovery. It will be a long road, but you aren't alone on it!

Best Wishes, Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:21:50 am »
Welcome home JD! Yep! this surgery does throw you for a loop. Acutally when I finally got off my pain meds and just went to tylenol/codeine, I started to feel somewhat coherent and functional again. Wow, They gave you some pretty powerful pain medication. I remember both my arms and neck being very painful. I was also told it was how I was laying on the table.

Glad you're home and give your awesome wife a hug for us!

Keep us posted

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 07:36:08 am »
Pain meds?  you guys got pain meds?  All I got was Ibuprofen...that seem to do the trick as long as I took it round the clock...Gee I feel so left out!   :-\

cookiesecond

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 07:43:49 am »
JD,
I praise God for your good report.You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
Take care and keep in touch,
Lynn

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 09:39:04 am »
Yea!!!  JD's home!!!!  Like I said before I'm watching you real close because I have a right side just a tiny bit smaller and will probably be following in your footsteps soon.  Thank you so much for the recap.  You sound very good right now and I'm happy to hear that.  Lots of thanks to your other half too for setting the example of taking care of you and letting us know how you were doing.  Keep us posted!!!!  Good luck in having lots of good days from here on out!!!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 11:40:42 am by Gennysmom »
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 10:04:45 am »
Jeff!  Welcome home! I'm thrilled you are able to check in with us!  Please rest, rest, rest, don't push yourself and know we are sending you soooooo many thoughts and prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery!

Welcome home!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 11:41:53 am »
Uh, oh, Batty and JD, they just said on our news here that there's big fires by Sebring and they're evacuating people.  Hope all's well there!

thecakes

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 12:18:25 pm »
  Welcome home JD.  Theres no place like home, is'nt that the truth.  You have been through alot so take one day at a time.  Baby steps.  Except all the help you can get.  I have learned that people are generous at these times.  One day I got 6 meals brought to my family in one day.  So many resturant gift certificates, gas cards, phone cards, just cards in the mail.  I have all of these in a shoe box.  Sometimes I get these out to look at and then I remember where I was and where I'm at today.  Thank you lord.

shoegirl

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 03:21:21 pm »
JD,

Welcome Home!  Hope you start feeling better soon.  Keep us updated on your recovery!  Best Wishes to you and yours!

Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 11:54:07 am »
Thanks for the update guys!!!!  Very cool!!!!!  Congratulations on your anniversary!!!  Lasagne and cake sound fabulous...I want some too!!!!  I'm sure every year will just get better from here.  I hope you have an absolutely fabulous night celebrating your anniversary and family that blossomed from that day.  Dance around and be silly and be thankful for this day.