Author Topic: Return to work  (Read 3060 times)

Patrick-OC

Return to work
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:11:41 pm »
Well, I had my first day back at work two months after surgery.
I'm on light duty so that helps.

Still have lots of dizziness and that doesn't seem to be improving much lately.
Physical therapy has helped and I even tried water exercises for strength.

I made it through the day. I sure miss my naps though.  ;)

Patrick
5mm Middle Fossa removal on 6/30/09
House Ear Clinic & St. Vincent's Hospital
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz & Stefan

epc1970

Re: Return to work
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:30:31 pm »

Hi Patrick
Oh the naps.....sigh.....I miss them still  ;D Your stamina will build up over time. I wonder if vestibular rehab would help with the dizziness??? I never had balance or dizziness post op but do know that vestibular rehab can help target and hopefully reslove those issues. Good luck with the rest of the week and take it easy as you get back into the the routine of work-that lovely fatigue can get you when you are least expecting it! Take Care.
Erin

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »
Glad you're back to work!  Hang in there, Patrick!  It does get better and better over time...just may not be at the pace you want, but you'll get there.  It's amazing how your brain can be retrained to function very well without the benefit of two functional vestibular nerves.  I still find that parking garages make me wobbly, no matter how good my balance is most other places. 

Be patient and persistent!  ahhhhh....naps......

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:59 pm »
Patrick -

returning to work is a great milestone - but I know from experience that it isn't always easy.

I originally returned to work half days and that really helped - but even then I too missed my naps  ;D

Things will get better in time and the fatigue will pass.  Supposedly the longer your surgery was, the longer the fatigue continues.

My surgery was 7 1/2 hours and I was fatigued for many months.  

Hang in there and rest when you can.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:15:04 pm »
Patrick ~

Congratulations on reaching a significant recovery landmark!  Although it may be difficult at first, time and your determination to achieve normalcy will get you through and soon, you'll be handling work just fine, without a need for naps.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Desilu

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:59:12 pm »
Hi Patrick,

Walk as much as you can. I took at least two good long walks everyday until I went back to work. I must admit uneven sidewalks posed a bit of a problem but after a while you get used to looking for them. When I returned back to work, I continued to walk my dog after work and she lost 4 pounds! Try taking a short power nap right after getting home (about 20 min) that worked for me. Hang in there, it will get better, maybe you are just pushing yourself a little to much. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Patrick-OC

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:29 am »
Thanks everyone.
The first week is done now.
Physical therapy focuses on balance issues and they have improved a lot since surgery.
I just have some more work to do.

I'll keep you posted on what develops next.
The nurse at work thinks I am unsafe right now.
I have 11 weeks to show that I can do everything the job requires or it's back to disability.
I have confidence that it will not come to that.

Patrick
5mm Middle Fossa removal on 6/30/09
House Ear Clinic & St. Vincent's Hospital
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz & Stefan

sreda

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:50:44 am »
Hey Patrick -
I had about the same size tumor and surgical procedure at House that you did, and one of the same docs (Brackmann). I went back to work after a month, and continued to improve steadily after that. I had my energy  and most balance back after about 2-1/2 months. Take it as easy as your body tells you to. A good support system helps too - friends or family who will help with errands and chores when you are just worn out. Recovery is not an even progress line either - some days you'll feel MUCH better, and other days, not so peppy. I have next to no lingering significant effects of the AN these days, 4 years post-op.
SReda in S.Carolina. Good luck to you !
Sis
Left side 4mm AN removed middle fossa 8/2004 at House by Drs. Brackmann and Hitselberger. 48 yrs. old