Author Topic: heading to Texas; prayers & support for my daughter  (Read 7267 times)

Keri

heading to Texas; prayers & support for my daughter
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:02:57 pm »
Many of you know we're headed to Texas Wednesday for our son Scott's graduation from basic military training in the USAF. We're so excited and proud!
We would appreciate your prayers and support for our autistic daughter, Shannon (age 19). We will have very long days of having to arrive on base by about 6:00am then stand outside, walk a lot and sit through two ceremonies in the nice 100+ Texas heat! We hope and pray she will deal with this without getting frustrated, agitated and disruptive. Shannon goes through phases sometimes with her behaviors. Right now she's having a difficult time. She likes travel, so it's not that. Just please pray that she will get through this okay. We don't want to miss any of the ceremonies. It is a once in a lifetime thing. She also is really looking forward to seeing Scott - so we hope and pray it can be a special family time.The ceremonies are on Thursday and Friday. Sunday we say goodbye again as Scott heads to tech school (he will remain at Lackland in San Antonio).

I appreciate all the support I always receive here on the forum.

I'll post pictures when I get back!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

Re: heading to Texas; prayers & support for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:14 pm »
Keri~
I will definitely be in prayer about this - I hope all goes well.  I wish that Texas wasn't SUCH a HUGE state so that we could get together!!

Peace & Safe Travels,
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:44:05 pm »
Keri, thoughts are with you all... safe/good journey!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:58:39 pm »
Wow, Keri, that went really fast.

Prayers for Shannon's serenity go with you.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

texsooner

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 06:15:17 am »
Keri, congrats to your son...that's quite an accomplishment...you must be very proud. Sorry for the hot weather down here....it's been a brutal summer. Feel free to bring some cooler weather down here with you! Prayers to your family for a safe trip and enjoyable time while in Texas.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

grega

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:34:20 am »
Keri ......... prayers and good thought from another east coast postie!  A safe trip to you and your family, with a return to this ideal mid-Atlantic weather.

(Sorry for that, all you nice Texans.)

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:09:29 am »
Keri .....

My thoughts and prayers for safe travels, Shannon's peace, and a joyous celebration with Scott.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Ellenmn

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
I will keep you all in my prayers. For all of you to have a safe trip,for your daughter to have a GOOD trip, and for your son's continued success.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:16:00 pm »
Keri ~

We've had friends with autistic children and I know how difficult a long trip and a lot of sitting and waiting can be for such a child.  I also realize how important this ceremony is to your family, especially your son.  I won't venture to post suggestions that may help you deal with Shannon in a way that allows her to enjoy this occasion because I have no expertise to draw from.  I'll just do what I always do in these situations that seem outside of our power to handle, and that is to join others in prayer for Shannon, you and your husband as you try to savor this important family experience.  I'll also be among the many looking forward to viewing your photos of the event.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »
Keri, 

Safe journey for you and your family.
May all find peace and joy during your special visit together.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Joe B

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:30:00 pm »
Keri,

I hope everything is going well on your trip. Congratulations to your son for graduating basic training. Two of my son's friends from here in town just graduated basic at Lackland Air Force Base (today 8-27-09).

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD

Keri

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:04:54 pm »
Thanks, everyone! We're through the ceremony part where she needs to remain quiet. Now it's just spending time with Scott, tomorrow off base and Sunday back on base. It's been an adventure with Shannon (but it always is, and that's ok)! The ceremonies are very special and moving.

Yes, the weather is brutal down here (I grew up in south Texas so it didn't surprise me). The food SURE IS GOOD!

I'll try to post pictures when I get back home. I'm sure I'll neeed to consult Steve with how to do this again!

Joe, your friends' sons graduated with Scott. Do you know their flight number or squadron name or number?

As always, I appreciate everyone's support, prayers, etc.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 07:30:21 am »
Keri ....

So glad you made it through the ceremony OK.  Now enjoy your time with the family ..... in spite of the heat!  Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Prayers continue for a safe return home.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:17:07 am »
GOTTA LOVE TEXAS!!  Glad all went well!  Eat LOTS of that GOOD FOOD to sustain you thru your winter!!   ;D

K   :D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joe B

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 09:44:20 am »
Keri,

One of them was in FLT 577 (Dorm B-1). Also, in the address was 331 TRS and Unit 3 ? I spent 4 years in the army, so I don't know what all of the AF abbreviations stand for. I did send a letter to one of them during basic and those abbreviations were in the address.

Joe B.
2.9 cm AN left side
MRI 5/13/09
Translab 6/04/09 Tampa General Hospital
SSD