Author Topic: Ready to pass the scarf on .........  (Read 4117 times)

mandy721

Ready to pass the scarf on .........
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:19:37 am »
Hello to all of you,

Ken finally came home last Friday after 17 days in the hospital, 8 on the medical floor and 9 in acute rehab.    The first night in ICU, I went home to sleep and later learned that he had a very difficult night -  meds were slow to arrive, the ICU received a number of new patients,  his  calls for assistance were responded to very slowly. He still talks about blood being drawn while vomiting.

After one night in ICU, he was moved to the medical floor.  We opted for a private room, but looking back feel that going to the neuro floor in a shared room would have been the better choice.    He was so weak  and out of it , that a shared room would probably not made much of a difference.  A benefit of the private room was that I was able to have a cot and stayed with him for days 2 - 8.  The room had a lovely river view, but the shades were mostly drawn during the day.  For the first week,  I questioned if he would ever be able to resume normal activities.  He wasn't eating, was  unable to sit up or get out of bed without assistance . When he was medically stable,  all he wanted to do was come home even though he still couldn't get out of bed on his own and could navigate but a few steps with the walker.  I couldn't begin to think about bringing him home at the point and insisted that he move to the acute rehab unit.  There was a bit of a fight with the insurance company to get that stay authorized on a timely basis. 

The move to rehab, one floor down, was mangled by the nurse on the medical floor. The room wasn't ready and that set off a chain of events that left my husband very agitated for the next 24 hours.  He was also beginning to deal with the complications from the surgery and was devestated.  After settling and starting   physical, occupational and speech therapy, there were signs of improvement daily.  Even my very stubborn, independent husband saw the benefits.   By the time he was released he was stronger and had quite an appetite,  his speech had improved, and he was walking with a walker.

Since coming home last Friday, he is receiving in-home therapy from VNS.   His balance and coordination are off and the fine motor skills in the right hand have been affected.  The right side of his face is weak and numb.  He had a platinum eye weight implanted and that has helped the function of the right eye. His sleep patterns are totally out of whack. This morning, his surgeon advised that it is OK to take Ambien, so I hope this helps him ( and me ) sleep through the night.  I am exhausted too.  Given all that, he is feeling a bit better everyday and now with the aid of a neat new cane, we are getting out on the streets of Manhattan and have even ventured onto to bus and subway.  Very nerve wracking for me playing interference with the crowds on the street, but satisfying to reach this milestone.  Over the past few days the weather has been more bearable, a bit cooler and less humid, so going out hasn't been too bad. 

Thank you for the support and thoughts over the last few weeks.  Let me know who the scarf goes to next.

Miranda

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Ready to pass the scarf on .........
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:10:49 am »
Miranda .....

WOW!  What a time Ken has had!  So glad he is doing better now ...... slow and easy is our motto for the first few weeks.

Thoughts and prayers continue for rapid improvement from here on out!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:26:24 am »
Glad to know Ken's at home and starting to see improvement.  Being home, as always, is some of the best medicine.  His sleep patterns should improve before too long...is he still on any steroids?  They definitley mess w/ the sleep...and other things as well.  Hope you can get some rest also!

You can just check the calendar to see who has an upcoming treatement and contact them to see what their address is for the scarf.  There is no "official" way, and certainly no right or wrong way to send it on.  Glad Ken was able to have it - I know it meant a lot to me...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »
Miranda ~

Thanks for the informative update on Ken.  I was sorry to learn of his post-op complications and 17 days in the hospital!.  Being  stubborn and independent, too, I can empathize with Ken's frustrations and can understand your stress from dealing with it all.  You are to be admired for your devotion and ability to successfully cope with a very difficult situation.

I'm pleased to learn that Ken is improving and while not 'out of the woods' quite yet, progress is being made, which is crucial to keeping one's spirits up while recuperating.  Your forays into Manhattan - including the bus and subway - underscore that progress.  The N.Y. weather is definitely improving (I live in Connecticut and our weather is pretty much the same as N.Y.C.) so that will certainly be a plus and an impetus for even more outside adventures.  Congratulations to Ken for his progress and kudos to you, Miranda, for your support.  If the folks on these forums have helped you both, we're pleased - because that's what we all try to do.  :)

The AN surgical calendar is fairly light for the next few weeks.  The nearest surgery date I could find was for Mike ('mjminer') who is undergoing MF surgery at the Mayo Clinic on Wednesday, September 2nd. 

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:35:24 pm »
I have just sent off an email to Mike about the scarf.  Having it close by meant a lot to Ken.  God knows what the past three weeks would have been without the scarf!

another NY postie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:38:07 am »
Wow....Ken had quite a journey so far!  I am glad you are home and recuperating and hopefully getting some sleep.  I am having surgery on Sept 23 at HEI.  If no one claims the scarf before my surgery, I would love to take a little magic with me.  I am local to you...I live in Westchester County, NY.  I will keep my fingers crossed that Ken continues to make lots of progress....
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »
Good to hear that you see improvements everyday.  My thoughts are with you both.
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:30:51 pm »
Hi Miranda and thank you so much for the update on Ken.  What a time he has been through (and same for you). 

My mantra... "day by day, inch by inch....".. .and my hope is that each day will become a little easier... for you both.

Please hang in there and check in when you can with further updates. Ken's journey (now, as a "postie") will be beneficial here for people researching options, etc.

Sending healing hugglez,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mandy721

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »
Hi,
I wasn't able to connect with Mike in time to send the scarf, so I sent him a photo of the scarf.  I have been in touch with Cheryl and the scarf is on its way to her for her surgery on the 21st. 

another NY postie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:04:39 am »
Hi Mandy...I got the scarf!  I've decided to put it on as I type since I just got put on some mega antibiotics to treat an upper respiratory infection that is going around NY and could really affect my surgery...ie. cancel it!  Arghhh!  I think I will be ok.  Called CA yesterday and will call today.  Still have 12 days to kick it.  I am channelling the magic - or pre-magic right now.  Expect a spontaneous recovery!:)

Hope Ken is doing better and making steady progress.
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

mandy721

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:22 am »
Cheryl - I hope you are feeling better.  Sounds like the scarf got to you at just the right time.

Donnalyn- Thanks for your thoughts.  We are sleeping, just not enough like everyone else!