Author Topic: I'm off to NYC...  (Read 7865 times)

cindyj

I'm off to NYC...
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:40 am »
Hey, you New Yorkers, I'm going to NY next Wed to the US Open (tennis)...we are staying somewhere in NY or maybe it's Manhattan or ??  The hotel is on E 42nd Street...thankfully, Brad & I are going w/ another couple that knows what the heck they're doing.   

Anyway, I know it's a very big place, lots of people up there, and the odds are very, very slim that anything could work out, but I wanted to mention that I'll be there in case any of you just happen to live near where we'll be...maybe you work at the hotel or might be at the US Open!  Or, perhaps I might run into one of you at the Statue of Liberty on Saturday?  Stranger things have happend!  We'll be the ones with our mouths hanging wide open :o  and perhaps a slight Southern accent...I could wear my hat-by-Steve so you'd be sure to find me!

I will be very much like a fish out of water up there, but I'm very excited about it (except for the flying part :P)   Really, I'd love to meet any and all of you...wait, when is that lunch you guys do up there...I'll go check that thread...that is NY, right?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

GRACE1

Re: I'm off to NYC...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »
Exciting news!   I'll look for you while I am watching it on TV. 

Have a great trip.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:59 pm »
Oh, that's so cool, Cindy!  I'll be watching and cheering for the Scot.  Wear your hat so we can find you in the crowd.  Have a great time.
If you're talking about the Brunch, that would be Boston.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »
Cindy,

Have fun at the Open! I live in New Jersey and am going to the Yankees game on Sunday, but probably won't be going back into the city for a while after that.

And Nancy, the Bostonians aren't the only ones who meet for lunch/brunch!

The New York/ New Jersey group gets together, too, thanks to the good planning of Debi and Wendy, and I believe there's a get together tentatively scheduled for the first or second Saturday in October. You'll just have to come back to NYC and join us for that, Cindy.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:16:29 pm »
Hi Cindy,

I am right here in the center of Manhattan.  If I can help in anyway, please give me a holler.  As the wife of a newly minted postie, I feel like I have been through a lot, not all of it, but a lot!  I would love to meet up.

Miranda

Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:28:49 am »
Hey, Grace!  To change the subject entirely, did you get your support group invite?  Our next meeting is 9/26 - hope you can make it!

Yes, Nancy, I think I was confusing the Boston lunch w/ NY...knew it was somewhere up NORTH, it's all the same, isn't it ;)

Well, darn, Catherine, we'll just miss each other!  And this may be my one and only trip to NY, but if you ever get back down this way, please look me up.

Miranda!  You're in Manhattan?  Would love to somehow meet you and Ken...I'll PM you the details...know it's a long shot, but if it can be worked out, that would be great! (You have definitely been through a lot as the spouse of a new postie!)

Wayne, aren't you up there somewhere also? 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:21:49 pm »
Cindy,
There was a thread for a NYC luncheon. I live outside of DC and really wanted to go up to NYC for it (I like to crash other ANer's luncheons, like I did in MA). The thread was probably in Community around mid July.  You may find other New Yorkers there.

I love going to NYC. Don't limit yourself to one trip (I've been there a grand total of twice). Too much to do! Just don't take a teenage daughter who loves shopping to 5th Ave, and remember that Tiffany's is a very scary place.

If I hung out in NY again I'd rent a bike and ride it in Central Park - that's fun. Don't be afraid to ride the subway - I also found NYer's very helpful with good advice. One got me off a train that would have taken me out non stop to Shea stadium, when I was just trying to go a few blocks down the road.

Have a great time!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:36 pm »
Thankfully, Keri, no teens going with us at all...and mine are boys, anyway - and they're not much on shopping ;)  We will definitely be taking the subway everyday from the hotel down/over/up (?) to the Open - thankfully, the friends we're going with have experience with it...We do hope to get to Central Park on Saturday...haven't been on a bike since my surgery - might be time to try it out...or maybe not ::)  Just hoping for NO rain!

Cindy
feeling great!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:17 pm »
yo! Cindy! My boss is going to the US Open as well! :)

...and to think, you are only 4 hrs drive from here! 

Have a FAB time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindyj

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »
Hey, Phyl!  Tell the Boss to look for me!  I remember now that you had mentioned he was a big tennis fan...guess four hours is a bit far for us to meet up, but you know I'm looking for you to come to Alpharetta soon :)
feeling great!

GRACE1

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 07:40:31 am »
Cindy, I did not get the support meeting notice.  What are the details?

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

cindyj

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:42 am »
Hey, Grace!  Ok, I'll start a different thread out here about it.  But, while we're here right now, the meeting is scheduled for Sat, 9/26 at 10:00 at the Northside Drive branch of the Fulton County Library.  We will be having a vestibular therapist speak.

The invites go out from the ANA office - are you a member?  If not, that would explain it, if so, I don't know what happened. ???  I know at least some have received the notice.

Hope you can make it!

Cindy
feeling great!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »
might be at the US Open!  Or, perhaps I might run into one of you at the Statue of Liberty on Saturday?  Stranger things have happend!  

Cindy

Cindy,
Have a great time. Wow. The US Open!  How cool is that?

I was there in June with my sister and niece.  Lady Liberty is next to Ellis Island..If you have time, do BOTH. I find history fascinating and those definitely are symbolic.  BTW, at any National Park you can buy something called a Passport. You can "postmark" your book with the date  and location of your visit.  So at the Statue of Liberty, the stamp used in the book will state "The Statue of Liberty" and the date.

http://passport.eparks.com/store/

and cancellation locations:  http://passport.eparks.com/store/content/863/Passport-Cancellation-Locations/

Also,two great restaurants are Tao and Buddakan.

Have fun. Take pictures and post them for us.

Kate
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:38:20 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:59:53 pm »
Hi Cindy,

I wish I could meet up with you since I live in NYC, but am currently out of commission with hip bursitis(I feel like I've been falling apart since last year , plus, next Wednesday is the first day of school here and things will be chaotic.  If you come to NYC again, I'd love to get together.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wcrimi

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:21 am »
You are going to love the US Open!   ;)

I wish I was going on the same day. We could share wonky head tennis stories.  :D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move