Author Topic: re: weight gain ??  (Read 5602 times)

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
re: weight gain ??
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:06 pm »
Please tell me has anyone gained weight since AN surgery. ???  I'm probably reaching, for something other than food I eat. ::)
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: re: weight gain ??
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:04:28 pm »
Linny -

I have gained weight since my surgery - a lot in fact  :P

However, I don't attribute that to my AN or my AN surgery.  I attribute it to a stressful life as a single-parent (as in 24/7 custody) who is overworked and overtired.  I also attribute it to the fact that I love food and I stopped seriously exercising approximately 3 years ago - just about the time I was going through a horrific, very costly, divorce.

Post op when I was recovering and had lots of nausea and metallic mouth I lost a significant amount of weight.  But once the nausea and metallic mouth went away, I started eating again  ::)

I recognize that I am an emotional eater, and as you say, I am reaching for something other than food.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:10:18 pm »
Linny .....

I, as well, have gained unwanted weight since my surgery.  Like Jan I do not think it has anything to do with the AN surgery, per se.  However, I do think it has to do with the fact I am not on the go as much, nor exercising as much because of my balance issues.  Even though I think I am reducing my calorie intake, I know I must not be ..... hence the weight gain.  Also, for the first time in my life I have begun using ice cream as my "comfort" food, with dastardly results!   :-[

Tomorrow I will resume going to the gym!!   ::) ::)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »
I gained about 20lbs within the frist 2 yrs after surgery. And I DEFINETELY DO attribute it to the AN. Prior to surgery I was an avid alpine skier, mountain biker, hiker and overall very active person. I went to zero activity due to the balance issues I was left with.  I eventually got back to long walks and some light hiking in attempt to "push myself" to try and overcome the balance.  Everytime I thought I was getting back to some form of regualr exercise, I'd take a fall and hurt myself, almost like the AN is a conspiracy to keep me from exercising and keep me fat, also to keep me coming back to the ortho doc for hurt knees etc.  Also, the barometric pressure changes with storms in the winter kill me and basically put me out of commission with pressure headaches and severe vertigo. I find during these times I crave carbs,  bad carbs,  sweets, comfort foods etc.  I looked up the symptoms of SADS and it is very similar.  I finally got fed up with trying to get the extra weight off via exercise so joined a weight loss challenge for 12 weeks, kind of a weight watcher kind of thing with herbalife.  I managed to get 15lbs off,  wanted to go for 15 more, then I got the diagnosis of tumor #2,  so the heck with it,  I'm eating (&drinking) what I want LOL.  I've put 4 lbs back on in the 6 wks I've known about the new tumor, but seriously I'm going back to it to try and get some more off before I go in for surgey #2.  Having all this happen at 45-50 yrs old has not helped.  It's so much harder to get the wieght off as we age.  booo hoooo

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »
thanks everyone, I'M sure mine is from eating (comfort eater also )  and I used to go to gym etc etc. But no longer doing that one either (so sad)  . but I guess in a round about way it is the surgery .  I really got to try and get a handle on this. sorry Patti you have to go though another AN. :(  Good luck to you all.   :)  thank you for responding.
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

texsooner

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:48:17 am »
Linny, good question. Yes, I also did gain weight immediately after my AN surgery. I'm otherwise fairly fit/healthy and exercise quite a bit, but I gained about 10 pounds(of which 7 are still with me a year later) in about a month after surgery. Granted, my exercise routine was really cut back during that time, but I attribute my weight gain mostly to the 2 week steroid treatment that they put me on post surgery. I'm not sure if everyone is put on the steroid regimen post surgery, but it really had an impact on increasing my appetite and maybe altered my metabolism some. I prefer however to believe my weight gain was all muscle(that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:09:17 am »
Sounds like a good story Patrick,  SOOOOOOOOO  how come my "muscle" weight gain jiggles????   LOL

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

tenai98

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »
I put on weight prior to surgery because of a good man...lol....After surgery I put on more.  I've now shed 12 lbs in the last 3 months and I'l be happy when 10 more go...After surgery when on steroids, whenever I saw food I wanted food, hungry or not. I now exercise with the AE Active and eat alot of low cal foods...and I have Chia seeds....a super food
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:10 pm »
Linny,

Good question.  Right after surgery I lost weight.  The first week when I wasn't eating much.  Then I went home and had the attitude "I had a brain tumor and can eat what I want."  Not good.  Then I took up running.  I ran or did some other exercise every day for an entire year and am still sticking with it most days.  Unfortunatlely, I'm too good at eating to make up for the calories I might lose due to exercise and still need to lose about 20 pounds.  I do have pretty fit fat though.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 06:21:52 am »
I indulged myself prior to surgery, using the excuse that if I didn't make it through to Postieland, I would regret not having enjoyed the last few months of my life.  I also hoped that the metallic taste and other post-op symptoms would suppress my appetite.  Well, I'm managing just fine with the metallic taste; very little puts me off my food.  My lack of exercise is not due to balance issues but rather osteo- and inflammatory arthritis.  Hip replacement was postponed when something a little more urgent got in the way.  Fifteen pounds . . . ugh.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 09:41:52 am »
I lost 50 pounds when I had surgery BUT I needed to lose it - I was a BIG girl!!  ;)  I was able to keep it off until after my 2nd child.  I think a lot of it had to do with my facial issues and only being able to eat with one side and my appetite/stomach shrunk.  After a year, I had the 7/12, and so once again, I had to eat SMALL things!  I was VERY active (PE teacher BEFORE surgery - guess my intake had FAR surpassed my output for many years so I was still BIG!).  I really didn't "work out" any for years - but since I had had a stroke, just relearning all the things I had to (walking, writing, using other hand) probably burned a lot more calories than I thought since it was such an effort.  ANYWAY, I started working out again 2 years ago and have not looked back.  Even though I have balance issues, I just take them into account & go with it.  They have just changed out the machines that I like the most (an ARC trainer) for newer models and most have arm movement - I have to find the FEW machines with the unmovable arms so I can hold on!  Also, I started YOGA last year when I hurt my knee and I LOVE IT!  I just position myself against the wall so I can use it for support if need be and also just do what I can.  That is the beauty of YOGA, everyone is really doing some different combo to meet their individual needs!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

joebloggs

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:20 am »
I lost a fair bit of weight just after surgery because I wasn't eating much, but then I put it back on and a bit more - partly because I wasn't as active due to the immediate post op balance issues and I seemed to pick up a doughnut fetish somewhere along the line.  Having said that, I had a thing for doughnuts before the surgery too.  Mmm.  Anyway, it's starting to shift now I'm at work and more active.  So that's good.

Kay: I'm going to a yoga retreat in January in Thailand... I wish you could come!!!  It's going to be super special - 10 days in the jungle next to a lake... I'm taking a paddleboard!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

epc1970

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:21 am »
Linny
I initally lost weight immediatly post op but once I was off the steroids and since I was not as active as I had been pre op I probably gained 15 lbs in 6 months....food was my comfort tool as well. Now that I am back to my regular exercise rountine-walking and yoga (a yoga retreat in Thailand=dreamy!)  I have lost all but 2 or 3 lbs that I had gained.
Erin

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 11:51:00 am »
Oh My GOODNESS JB!  I would LOVE to come with you - that would be so awesome but alas, I guess I will have to take care of the 3 curly girlies instead...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

joebloggs

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 11:52:50 am »
Next time eh?!!  I wish I had three curly girlies - they would be curly girlies too if they took after me!  Wanna swap??
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!