Author Topic: re: weight gain ??  (Read 5600 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: re: weight gain ??
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:18 am »
I put on about 8 lbs. between my diagnosis and surgery. After surgery I could not drop a pound for a while even with working out every day. Now I am 7 months post op and lost 6 of the 8 lbs I put on.  I should be back to my normal weight in a month or so.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:57:41 pm »
Interesting topic! Now that explains my 15lb weight gain!
Or could it be all the treats I eat? I keep telling myself I deserve dessert - I had brain surgery!
yikes!
Michelle  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 08:47:59 pm »
nope i lost 17 pounds in the hospital over those 2 weeks and i have gained that back but no more.....  irritates my wife to death   lol
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 02:52:03 pm »
Late - but I thought I'd jump in, anyway. 

Until I reached 'middle age', I'd enjoyed a high metabolism rate and was relatively thin, although I always had a good appetite.  I began adding pounds in my early 50's - until I was a good 30 pounds overweight by the time of my diagnosis (at age 63).  Prior to my AN diagnosis and subsequent surgery, I'd lost the extra weight I'd put on over the past 20 years or so.  This fairly rapid weight loss was a result of the loss of my sense of taste (and the resulting loss of appetite) that I'd experienced in the months leading up to my diagnosis . Food tasted like cardboard and so, I just wasn't hungry.  Eventually, my stomach actually shrunk (I lost my 'pot').  I later learned that my loss of the sense of taste was due to the AN impacting my 7th cranial nerve (that can affect taste).  Post-op, my sense of taste returned and although my appetite returned with it, I managed to avoid a big weight gain (without conscientiously dieting).  When I asked my PCP about my (post-op) weight level, he opined that the traumatic brain surgery I'd just been through had possibly 'triggered' my metabolism back to it's original (high) level.  He also mentioned that I'd become used to eating less, which helped keep excess weight off, once my sense of taste returned, along with my appetite.  This may or may not be 'scientific' but it made sense to me. 

Why some AN patients gain weight post-op and others don't is a bit of a mystery to me, except that it may be connected with being housebound for a time (and bored) as well as simple genetics and physiology.  I maintain that skipping desserts and snacks, eating smaller portions and getting some exercise, even just walking, can help keep one's weight down - but I'm no expert.  Just ask my wife (who looks good but has been trying to lose some weight for years).  You can guess how she feels about my being able to maintain a stable, healthy weight without a strict diet.  Suffice it to say that we don't discuss weight in my house, anymore.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Buzzy1

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:17:55 pm »
I just scheduled my surgery and have all sorts of worries.  Is everyone put on steroids after?  For how long?

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 05:14:15 pm »
It depends on the doctor who's in charge of your care, but generally speaking everyone gets put on steroids at least while they're in the hospital.  Some get prescriptions to continue using them for a while after they are discharged.

I'd say that you don't want to be on them long term, but for the short term they help keep swelling in the head down after a pretty traumatic surgery (as far as the body is concerned) and promote healing..

I wouldn't worry about being on them for the short run..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:21 pm »
Buzzy ~

Post-op steroid use is nothing to be really worried about.  As Brian stated, steroids are usually prescribed to control swelling, which can be problematic with post-operative AN patients.  I had a 'taper-off' 5-day steroid prescription when I was discharged from the hospital.  After that, no more steroids were needed.  I never suffered with insomnia or weight gain.  As Brian opined, if you only take the steroids in relatively small amounts for a short time, their side effects shouldn't be an issue, as they weren't in my experience.  Again, ask your doctor what his post-op protocol is for AN surgery patients.  They're all different. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:03:36 pm »
Buzzy -

some are put on steroids, some aren't - depends on how your facial nerve looks post op.

I had a quick dose of steroids the day of my surgery - since I woke up with slight paralysis.  In my case, this one small dose did the trick.

Everyone is different when it comes to surgery and recovery. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sher

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:35 pm »
I blame everything that happens on my "Brain Tumor" LOL. Weight gain, not feeling like doing something inparticular, getting rid of soliciters, taking a nap...etc. LOL  ;D
1.2cm x 0.6 cm extracanicular component (7 mm) 05/08/08
MRI in AUG 08  showed 30 % growth
Having CK 9/30, 10/1 and 10/2/08
1/12/08 MRI shows swelling

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 03:27:04 pm »
I blame everything that happens on my "Brain Tumor" LOL. Weight gain, not feeling like doing something inparticular, getting rid of soliciters, taking a nap...etc. LOL  ;D

WORKS FOR ME...........

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year