Author Topic: Open MRI without contrast?  (Read 4695 times)

lholl36233

Open MRI without contrast?
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »
Hi,

I have a friend who has 30% hearing in one ear.  She had an open MRI that didn't find anything.  I haven't asked her but do you think if an open MRI was done without contrast, there could be a tumor that wasn't picked up?

I have an explanation for my hearing loss.  She doesn't?

Laura
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Open MRI without contrast?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »
Hi there,

I was told that Open MRI's are not as useful as the Closed kind; however my first one was in an Open MRI and it showed up because I had the contrast. The contrast is key. 

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

lholl36233

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:02:41 am »
Thanks Kate.  I thought the contrast was key.  I'm going to ask her next chance I get.  It should come up because she is a good friend who knows my story.  Her bad ear is her right and my bad ear is my left so we joke that together, we have a good set of ears.
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:46 am »
Her bad ear is her right and my bad ear is my left so we joke that together, we have a good set of ears.

Laura,
It gives new meaning to the phrase two heads are better than one:-)

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

lholl36233

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:20:01 pm »
I found out today my friend did have contrast with her MRI.  If she has no tumor, she has no explanation as to why she only has 30% hearing in one ear...

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »
What state does your friend live in?
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

lholl36233

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »
We are in MA.  If the doctors she went to can't figure it out, she should definintely try someone else.  My diagnosis wasn't good but at least I know what is going on.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
There are many on this site from that part of the Country. Phyl for one. Maybe when she reads your post, she will chime in.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 05:21:47 am »
thanks Kate... yep, out here in E. MA.

Hi Laura,
As we know, there are extreme many reasons for hearing loss and AN is only one of many reasons.  If your friend has the MRI (open or closed) with contrast, the contrast is the key for picking up any kinds of growths, incl AN's.  If she had the MRI with constrast and no growth (thank goodness!) was found, IMO, she should continue to work with her ENT to try to find reasons.  Example, my grandmother has extreme tinnitus over the years, cause unknown (growth ruled out).  My mom has a perferated ear drum and has hearing loss..... so, it could be for a number of reasons.

I had my head MRI this past weekend... open MRI/magnet with contrast. I have the CD of my films that I am bringing into Boston this week. Have learned how to read my films (with help from the docs).  Can clearly see the AN (albeit, looking quite dead right now).  So, for me, the open magnet with contrast did just fine.

Here's hoping your friend finds answers soon... and that your situation/decision-making process brings you results you seek.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"