Author Topic: Post-op Update!  (Read 6323 times)

Kathy M

• Kathy
Post-op Update!
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:28 am »
Hi Guys!  Yesterday, I went to see the neurosurgeon yesterday (2 weeks following my 3rd surgery related to infections from the AN surgery in January).  The stitches came out and the incision looks better than it ever has at any point in the healing process!!!!!  Could this be IT?????  Dr. Tew is very well pleased.  I think my body loves titanium!

Barring any nasty side trips, I will return to work on Sept 29.  In the meantime, I going to work on getting my strength back - this journey has really taken a toll on me in the last few months.  Fall is my favorite season, so I see nice walks in my immediate future.

Sept 28 will mark my one-year anniversary of the pronounced symptoms that finally caught my doctor's attention enough to refer me to a neurologist.  From there, I begin lots of one-year anniversaries - one-year from diagnosis, one-year from first consultation...you all know them well.  I intend to never forget them and do my best to celebrate them with a vengeance!!

For those of you who think you'll never be better - hang in there!  We've just got to keep positive, keep trying, keep having faith, and above all else, keep doing all you can to get as healthy as you possibly can be and enjoy your life.  I'm thinking that this 3rd surgery was my last for a very long long long time!

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Post-op Update!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:52:20 am »
Kathy -

Dr. Tew isn't the only one who's pleased with this news  ;D

Here's hoping this is your last surgery for quite some time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:41:31 am »
Sounds promising. If anyone deserves to be done with their surgery, you do, Kathy. You have been very patient. Fingers crossed!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:45:12 am »
Kathy,

I'm so happy for you.  I hope this is your last surgery period enough is enough and you've already had too much.  Stay well!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:08 am »
Congrats, Kathy!  It's been a long haul, but you've traversed it like a champion.  Hang in there..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:31:01 pm »
Really good news, Kathy!  So happy it looks like you're finally at the end of this thing - best of luck as you return to work later in the month!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:43 pm »
Kathy,

wellness hugglez and wishes running amock and abound... great update and let's keep you on this healing path! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:10:17 pm »
Kathy ~

Ūber congratulations on your progress!  It definitely looks as if you're finally done with surgeries - hopefully, forever!  I applaud your decision to try and get your strength back and for returning to work in a few weeks.  Walking is a very good exercise and in the pleasant autumn weather, therapeutic.  Well, it was for me.  I also echo your advice to other AN patients that patience and determination as well as a positive 'can do' attitude are all critical to 'coming back' from AN surgery and any related problems.  It does take time, but time passes and with work and some spirit, ultimately, we can surmount the obstacles, regain our normal life and enjoy it for many years to come, as you will.  Well done!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:50:46 pm »
Great news...Nothing beats  a nice walk in the fall.......the smell of the earth is very soul soothing
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 05:31:24 am »
Kathy,

Congratulations! Always great to hear great news. Continue with your good recovery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

moe

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 09:27:23 am »
Yea, Kathy!
That's the spirit. You are in inspiration to others :)
No more surgeries!!!!!!
Enjoy the beautiful midwest fall weather and get out there and walk, walk, stop and smell the fall leaves..... (Might have to wait a month on that).
I grew up in K.C. and still vividly recall those gorgeous colors.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kathy M

• Kathy
Kathy M's Update Sept 12, 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 07:35:45 am »
You all just warm me up like a soft blanket (and that feels really good this morning in Ohio!!!).  My incision is now completely sealed up, not a sign of nastiness, and there seems to be some hair trying to grow on the spot that has seen so much misery with infection and surgeries and debriding.  In two days, count 'em "2", I can toss out the baby shampoo and use my own hair care products - not that I'm counting or anything - since January 10, I have only used my own products for about 4 months out of the year - the rest of the time, I've been battling this lousy infection, prepping for surgery, or recovering from surgery and have been relegated to using only baby shampoo.  I am so excited!!!!!

So, for the next 2 weeks, I am trying to schedule every routine, followup, or necessary doctor's appts while I'm still off.  My 6-month MRI (a little past 6 months due to my fixation on infections) is Tuesday - a bit nervous!! 

AND - here's some words of advice for all.......  I requested to have written records of all of my procedures, imaging reports, and referral info.  Last May ('09), when I thought I was done with all of this, I was reading some of the reports and stumbled upon the original MRI report that initially found the AN (this MRI was done in Oct 08).  The first 2 pages were devoted to the AN which, of course, caught everyone's attention.  But on page 3, there were 2 paragraphs devoted to "evidence of subclavian arterial stenosis, both sides" that even I knew had nothing to do with the AN.  When I asked my family doctor about this, he stammered and stuttered and then claimed he never got a copy of the report (which I don't believe) and referred me to a vascular surgeon.   Yesterday, I had a test that involved 3 blood pressure cuffs on each arm, exercise, and pre-post exercise measuring of how long it takes my pulse to be heard at my wrist and upper arm when the cuffs are squeezed (my apologies to all of you who have medical expertise....that's my layman's explaination!!!).  Anyway, apparently there is a blockage on each side and I followup with the vascular guy next week.  That really irritates me - IF I hadn't asked for my written records, and IF I hadn't read them, and IF I hadn't asked questions, this would never have been addressed at all.   

MORAL - we must be vigilent, persistent, inquisitive, and relentless when it comes to our own health and well-being.  Don't trust that the health system will work as it should and that all diagnostic reports will be read and proper actions taken.

I am not concerned about the remedy for this particular medical issue tossed my way - there seems to be options to deal with it that don't sound too hideous.  But anyway, I just wanted to share this with you and to give you all a gentle reminder to make sure you are doing everything you can to help your medical professionals do what needs to be done for you.  WE ARE WORTH THE EFFORT!!!!! 

Have a great weekend all!!!  Love you bunches!!!

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 11:11:33 am »
Kathy ~

I was dismayed to read about the arterial stenosis your MRI revealed and that you discovered when reading your '08 MRI report.  I would consider changing your PCP if he not only didn't bother reading the MRI report but probably prevaricated when you called him on this rather glaring oversight.   However, I'm relieved to learn that this issue won't be a major problem for you.  Your admonition to all of us to be proactive with our medical care is well taken.  Thanks for the update, the good advice and the kind words for our members. I hope your weekend is a good one, too.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 01:39:24 pm »
But on page 3, there were 2 paragraphs devoted to "evidence of subclavian arterial stenosis, both sides" that even I knew had nothing to do with the AN. 

I think I would tend to be forgiving of your doctor for overlooking this, for a couple of reasons. One is that MRI reports frequently contain some routine comments on other indications. When there is big shiny tumor in the middle of your head, it is pretty easy to ignore everything else. Another is that doctors tend to focus on diagnosing what ails you. Your symptoms at the time were from the AN; in fact without those, you would not have gotten the MRI, and the stenosis would not have been reported. That is not the ideal way for health care to work, but it is the reality these days.

I'm glad to hear that the narrowing of the arteries under your collar bones (I think that is the translation) will not be a big issue to deal with, and I know you will remain vigilant, persistent, inquisitive, and relentless regarding your own health care. ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:43:28 am »
HI Steve,

I am so respectful of the enormous job our medical professionals have to care for all of us.  And, if I hadn't had other dismissals over the years from professionals here in my small town, I would certainly give my pcp a "pass" for not paying attention to the rest of the MRI report - when you find a large AN that takes 3 pages to describe and assess, that should be the showstopper!  But, after years of misdiagnosis and dismissals from various physicians, including my pcp who last fall said "Well, dizziness and balance issues are tricky" and then went on to prescribe me an antibiotic for a sinus infection and sent me on my way, I have lost some of my natural patience and understanding when it comes to health care!!!  The icing on the cake for me was the ENT he referred me to just before the MRI report was completed after hearing about my symptoms (balance issues, slight hearing loss increasing in severity over the past 7 years) - the ENT said I had a gait dysfunction and was referring me to a speciallist who would teach me to walk properly and what shoes to buy.  Then a few days later, the MRI report was sent to them and the rest is history!

AH well.....all things happen for a reason, right?   I am seeking another pcp!!!  And I vow never to just "settle" or have faith in a medical professional when it just doesn't sound right!   We all make mistakes (and I'm right up there with the best of 'em!!), but I really hope that I've learned the right lessons from all that I have been through thus far.

Kathy