Author Topic: NYC/NJ Area Brunch at Brendans  (Read 21159 times)

Mickey

Re: NYC/NJ Area Brunch at Brendans
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 05:53:54 pm »
Oh what a nice day! You got to believe there is a reason for everything. Although I believe no one would want a AN, I`m personally am so happy with the beautiful people that I have met on account of it. Thankyou, Love Mike + Pat

jerseygirl

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 06:25:32 pm »
Hi everybody,

This was so much fun that I am looking forward to our next get together!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ombrerose4

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:39 pm »
Wow, what a great get together! Wendy- thanks for getting us together. It was good hearing everyone's stories, and sharing our many different experiences. I hope to get to talk to those I didn't have a chance to at our next get together.  I am grateful I had the opportunity to meet all of you. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

mandy721

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:49 pm »
It was great to meet so many nice people today who've been through what I've been through.  Gives me hope.  I got some invaluable pointers and referrals too.  Here's looking forward to our next meet-up!

Ken
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
Yes, another great get together. Good people, good food & drink. Just what the doctor ordered!  ;D

Count me in for the next one.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 09:52:13 pm »
This was so much fun! Many thanks to Wendy and Debbi for arranging and organizing everything -- you two really know how to host a good party! It was good to see so many familiar faces, and catch up with their lives, and equally wonderful to welcome others into our group.

Everyone looked great, and the recent surgical patients appear to be well on the road to some amazing recoveries.

I'll identify myself in the picture that Debbi posted earlier since I don't have a picture in my profile. I'm in the front row, wearing a brown sweater and brown slacks, standing between Mary (short-sleeved blue top) and Eve (jerseygirl) in the black coat.

Thanks again for such a fun afternoon; I'm looking forward to our next get-together.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

marymomof3

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 06:47:55 am »
Hi all!  Thanks so much for organizing this lunch!  It was great to meet everyone face to face and share 'war stories' ha ha ha!  Can't wait for the next one!
Mary
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

cindyj

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 10:07:52 am »
What a great group y'all had!  Know that was so much fun!  Beautiful backdrop for the pic...you people all looked pretty good, too ;D  Debbi, did Kathleen make it? 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2009, 11:09:34 am »

From left to right is Eve (jerseygirl), Wendy 9wendysig) and Cheryl (another ny postie)

In this pic the mix is not straight lines so the names may be a little more confusing, but here they are -- Debbi and her husband Willie ,Neal (nteeman), Miranda (Mandy) in front of her is Mary (marymom I think), next to her is Pat, Mickey's wife, Catherine (jerseygirl2) is slightly in front of Pat and Mickey is slightly behind Catherine, Joe is behind Mickey and in the back next to Joe is Ken, I'm in front  of Ken, and Eve (jerseygirl)l is in front of me, Lauren (ombrose4) is next to me and Alan (her partner)  is slightly behind her,  Kathleen is next to Alan and Nancy (nance)  is next to her.  I'm not sure why Jeff (jeffb)  isn't in the picture, and Cheryl had to run for her train but as you can see, we managed to get a picture of her in the first shot with with me and Eve.

I really had a great time and it was wonderful to meet the newcomers to our group!  I hope you all had as good a time as I did and found our discussions helpful.  I look forward to getting together again, probably in the spring.  Debbi and I will be happy to coordinate our next get together and  keep you all posted!  In the meantime, I'll see you all here on the forum.

Best to all,
Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 01:51:46 pm »
Thanks for all the pictures - you guys look great!  I can't believe you are up to 19 (woo-hoo)!

Catherine, it's great to put a face with a name  ;D

Wendy - did you get your hair cut?  I like it!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jerseyboy

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 03:45:00 pm »
Thank you all for a wonderful time!  This is a great group of folks - all so nice, and I learned so much!  I must have been in the rest room when the picture was taken :'(  As a result of my conversations with many of you, today I spent a lot of time on http://vestibular.org, and tomorrow I plan to send my November 6 follow up MRI to House for a telephone consultation, and make an appointment with Dr. Choe, and shortly thereafter with with Dr. Gollfinos.  This has been a difficult journey, and certainly I could not have not have coped with the challenges as well without the knowledge, input and caring of all of you.  Thank you so very much.  And a special thanks to Wendy who particularly (gently) made me realize I have more research to do before making a decision.
Jeff
Watch and wait since May 2009.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 04:10:41 pm »
You guys all look great, but nobody said nuttin' about the food!  Up here in New England it's all about the dumplin's.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wendysig

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 07:12:58 am »
Hi Jan,

I got my hair cut a couple of days before our brunch.  My guy was very chatty and got carried away with the scissors -- it will take some time before my hair is as long as I usually wear it, but thanks for the compliment!  We had a really great time and luckily, this time both Debbi and I remembered our cameras!

Jeff,

Sorry you didn't get into the pictures.  I didn't realize until I got home you were missing -- sorry about that.  Once we got the check sorted out everyone was in a hurry to catch trains to New Jersey and Long Island and I guess we didn't realize you were missing.  You'll notice my husband is not in there either since he was my photographer.   I'll make sure you're not left out next time for sure!  As for our conversations, I'm happy to help in any way I can, as we all are.

Hi Nancy,

I love your new picture -- you look marvelous!!!  The great thing about Brendan's is that the noise level is tolerable and the food is good,  the menu offers quite a few choices and reasonably priced for midtown Manhattan.  Since we go there for brunch we also get a choice of mimosa's or Bloody Marys which is nice too!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Nance

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 10:14:31 pm »

Brendan's rocks!  Mainly because we can have an (almost) private party, and time to get to talk with everyone who is so supportive. 

Do only nice people get acoustic neuromas???  Seems like it.  Is there a study out there for that?

Thanks for hosting us, Catherine and Debbi,

Nancy
Nancy-diagnosed Jan. 2008
1.2 cm left side AN
Translab June 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Left ear, Left side facial weakness, BAHA Feb. 2009

jtd71465

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 04:11:27 am »
I had a great time...I say the next time we take over the bar area and make this event really something to remember.... :D

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos