Author Topic: update on Father-in-law  (Read 11881 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
update on Father-in-law
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:13:16 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know my FIL is know receiving dilantiin and haladol every 4 hrs  via injection.  Tonight a night nurse will be coming to the house to stay from 11pm until 7am.  She will be administering an IV that will remain until he passes.

I have been having a very difficult time coping.  He was a very uncaring and very cruel towards me when my Father passed in 1993.  Emotionally I am a mess.  I find it very hard to consol my husband.  Louie is also having a hard time dealing with all of this.  Louie's memories are worse than mine since the man is his Father.  There has also been some very hurtful arguments between the siblings.  

A week today will be my 25th Wedding Anniversary something that I am very proud of.  I have this feeling that my FIL will either pass that day or he will be put to rest.  It would be very fitting since all the trouble he caused during our engagement and the day of our wedding.  

Please pray for me, that I make peace with him, my family and that his passing is peaceful because he is suffering.

Thank you,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: update on Father-in-law
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:12:06 pm »
Anne Marie:  my heart goes out to you during this extremely difficult time.  You & Louie hold on to each other through this.   Know that you can celebrate your 25th Anniversary anytime within the year ! - it can give you both something to look foward to.
I believe you will forgive your FIL for your sake so YOU can be at peace - he is who he is, I would think it must be awful living life so miserably; unfortunately you & Louie have/had to deal with him, but this will soon be over.
Keep a peaceful heart my friend,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:02:26 pm »
AnneMarie... nothing I say will be of help, but please try to remember this.... in darkest days, there comes a shining light. Your FIL will, at long last, be at peace... and so will your heart and Louie's.  His outward behaviours may be due to the lack of peace he seeks.... but, it will soon come to him.... and to you all.  You and Louie will celebrate your VERY special day...... and just remember, like every day is Christmas or your birthday... remember to make every day your anniversary! :) Congrats on 25 yrs.

Sending prayers... healing prayers for all.

xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »
AnneMarie,    The loss of a family member can bring out a whole range of emotions and each family and family member has their own way of coping.           Having not had a loving relationship with the dying person makes it very hard for them.    I have seen in my working years the whole gamut of how it can be to a family.        Phyl has said it very well and we will be thinking of you and hope you can not feel guilty for the  range of emotions you are having now.         You will be able to celebrate your own marriage and anniversary when it is right.            I wish you and Louie being able to be good to each other and  take care of each other  during a not easy time.         Peace to you and your family,                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »
Anne Marie -

Prays of peace for all of you.

And congratulations on the wedding anniversary - 25 years is quite an accomplishment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
Anne Marie, I had a very difficult relationship with my first father-in-law. I completely understand your conflicting emotions. But I can also assure you that you will in time be able to find peace with his passing.

I hope that you and Louis continue to find solace in your loving relationship of 25 years.

You are all in my prayers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

suboo73

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:38 am »
Anne Marie:  my heart goes out to you during this extremely difficult time.  You & Louie hold on to each other through this.   Know that you can celebrate your 25th Anniversary anytime within the year ! - it can give you both something to look foward to.  I believe you will forgive your FIL for your sake so YOU can be at peace - he is who he is, I would think it must be awful living life so miserably; unfortunately you & Louie have/had to deal with him, but this will soon be over.
Keep a peaceful heart my friend,   Nancy

Sending more thoughts & prayers your way during this time...
Louie sounds like a terrific guy - so hang on tight!

Sincerely,
Sue

PS My congrats on your upcoming 25th anniversary!  I believe you will know when the moment is right, and then you can celebrate!!

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:13 am »
Hi Anne Marie,

My thoughts are with you. In this difficult time you and your husband will find some way to make peace. It may be a slow process, but it will come. Emotions tend to change when you are dealing with someone's passing although your memories of the person may not have been positive. Congratulations on your anniverssary. You will celebrate it when the time is right. My prayers are with you and your family.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:02:22 am »
I to had a very mean and abusive ex FIL...Other then my ex hubby, all his children abadoned him...Knowing his background helped me understand him...exFIL came from an abusive family and didnt knew any better...But overall, it still was no excuse for the abuse he put his wife and children thru....My oldest son when he was five once asked why Grandpa didnt love him....In his last days he did try to make peace but there was so much hate, he died alone.  I accepted his phone calls (having been divorced from his son for over 20 yrs) and just listened to him. I am glad I did as he passed away soon afterwards...and yes I did along with my oldest son attend his wake...
Please find it in your heart to forgive....forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hate. It is the power that breaks the chain of bitterness and the shackles of selfeshness.
My heart goes out to you and you will be in my thoughts...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 06:04:45 am »
Anne Marie - Oh, my dear, I am so sorry you and Louie are going through this.  You just focus on taking care of yourself and Louie - the rest will work itself out and will end as it should.

hugs,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

yardtick

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:42:55 am »
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support.   :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »
Anne Marie ~

I'm late to the thread and can only add to the good thoughts already posted that forgiveness is for your benefit more than that of your father-in-law.  He did whatever he did and he is responsible for his actions despite any justifications he may have made to himself or that others may have made for him.  At the end of his life, you can treat him with kindness and put aside the hard feelings he generated, until he passes.  Soon, he'll be in the hands of a loving God who's justice is perfect, unlike our very flawed human sense of justice.  I hope your husband can forgive his father and try not to focus on what often amounts to wishing the man his father actually was had been something entirely different.  He was what he was.  He is responsible for his actions and attitudes.  All you and Louie can do is make him as comfortable as possible and pray for him as his time draws to a close, as it will for us all, some day.  Then, let the past go.

Congratulations on your upcoming 25th wedding anniversary.  That certainly is a milestone and one you have every right to be proud of, especially today, when 'commitment' is often measured in months, not decades.  I sincerely hope that day will be a joyful one for you and your husband and that you'll both let your father-in-law's passing from this life put to rest the long-held and very strong feelings of anger and resentment because they won't affect your father-in law and they won't change anything that happened.  Try to let them be buried with Louie's father and move on with your lives.  You guys deserve the happiness forgiveness and releasing animosity can bring.  I pray that you'll find it.  

Jim  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:55:27 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:33 pm »
Thank you from the bottom of my heart Donnalynn and Jim.

Anne Marie oxox
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

moe

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:09:38 am »
Anne Marie,
Praying for peace to you and Louie and all your family through this (yet another) tough journey.
This is the second death you've experienced this past year. I remember your last get away trip with Louie which was cut short with your aunt's (?) death.
Interesting how this is all happening around your 25th anniversary. Kind of like a full circle (or quarter of a circle!) with those mixed/angry emotions you've been dealing with all these years.
Praying for a sense of closure after this is all done. May take a while-years even, but find it in your heart to forgive. And enjoy your time with the ones you love.
Peace,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

yardtick

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:20 pm »
My father-in-law passed at 12:40 am today.  We were all around the bed as he wished.  Tuesday he is being laid to rest.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!!