Author Topic: Laurief surgery tomorrow 9/23  (Read 7987 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Laurief surgery tomorrow 9/23
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »
HI All,
  Laurief,  a newbie with only 5 posts, is having Translab tomorrow here in Utah with the same doc I and Anissa had.   She has been doing lots of reading, not much posting but I'd bet we'll see here here once she is a postie and trying to figure out the new world of ANisms.  Anyway, I have spoken with her at length, tried to meet up with her tonight but they kept her at her preop appte very late this evening.  I'll be checking in with her hubby tomorrow and going to see her Friday as I know she won't want visitors the day after.  Andreainslc is going with me to cheer her on.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Laurief surgery tomorrow 9/23
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 08:51:42 pm »
patti -

thanks for letting us know about laurief's surgery tomorrow.

Please let us know how things turn out for her - and also please tell her she is in our thoughts and prayers.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:25:00 pm »
It is great that you and Andrea are going to see her. Give her our best. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:34:10 pm »
Been thinking about Laurief all morning.  Please give her family my best when you talk to them.  Can't wait to hear about it...
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:32:08 pm »
Well,  the long day for Bob,  Laurie's hubby is over.  He called me around 6:30pm and she had jsut gone into recovery.  She didn't have to be at the hospital till 9:30 am so doubt they got started till 11ish or later, don't really know.  The docs said the tumor popped out rather easily and really was not involving the facial nerve so she should have a good outcome with the facial function. Good for her, so happy to hear she did so well.
soooooo Laurief is now a postie too

patti ut
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:46:25 pm »
Hi,

Please wish Laurief all the best in her surgery and recovery. My prayers are with her. Let us know how she is doing after the surgery.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:13:17 pm »
I am so relieved to hear the good news.  I hope her recovery goes well also.  Please let her know I'm thinking of her!
Anissa
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:01:10 pm »
The docs said the tumor popped out rather easily

For some reason, that sounds like a good thing. :)

Please send my best to postie LaurieF.

Steve

Keri

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 06:38:25 am »
I second what Steve says...

I hope Laurie is on her way to a good recovery.

Thanks for posting and updating.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 06:41:26 am »
Thanks for the good word, Patti  ;D

I'll keep Laurie in my prayers.

Please continue to update us if you hear more.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »
HI All,
  I went to see Laurief yesterday.  Andrea in slc got caught up in work so she was not able to make it this time. But she was there in spirit.  I brought Laurie, what is becoming tradition in these here parts, an AN Sisterhood teddy bear.  She was out of bed sitting up in a chair.  Thurs was very rough for her, but the day after surgery always is.  She is having trouble with balance, vision and her neck.  The doc told her that they cut through a neck muscle where it is attached to the mastoid???????????  WHAT????  I had no idea.  Anyone else who had Translab know about this????  With my middle fosa they cut through my jaw muscle and I've had jaw issues kinda like tmj ever since.  Of Course the doc didn't mention it till after the surgery, same as with laurie, didn't tell her till after.  Now that I'll be doing Translab soon, I have more questions for the doc about this muscle cutting.  Wonder if there is any way to avoid it.  They didn't use staples on her Translab incision which I thought was different from what I've seen and read here. Guess they should have as some of her incision came open and they had to put some staples in after the fact without any numbing or anything, OUCH!!!  Good thing she was already on some heavy pain meds but she said it still hurt pretty bad.
  Anyway, she is past the scary part, now the hard part, recovery and learning about the new you.  I'll be checking in by phone later today and tomorrow.

patti ut

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:48:34 pm »
I thought the muscle cutting was something that went with retrosigmoid, not translab. Can't really help there.

It is never totally easy, is it? Hopefully most of the balance and vision issue will resolve in a few days, and she will be up and about. The cut muscle may ache for a while, though. Send her more of our best wishes.

Steve

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »
I had the translab and then back in again same place for the leak and bet there was some muscle cut as also nerve from by the ear there removed for the graft.      All I can say is that I never had a great deal of pain in that area.            I know I took some occ pain pills and some of them were for the times when you just didn't feel good and they helped that too.      I took some once home but think they always worked for me.             Cheryl R       
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 02:49:16 pm »
I'm late catching up with this thread, but glad Laurie is now a postie and apparently doing OK.

I've had two retosigmoid surgeries (on both sides) and do not remember having any muscle cut either time, so I'm not sure what that is all about.  I do remember the first three days were not pleasant either time and then rapid recovery from the fourth day on.  I pray that will be the case for Laurie.

Thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

opp2

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:01:25 pm »
I would think the cutting of the muscles depends on the location of the attachment to the head. Not all are the attached at the same place, nor have the same size and shape of skull..

have a view here.
]http://www.face-and-emotion.com/dataface/anatomy/head_lateralview.jsp]
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.