Author Topic: Attended First Support Group Meeting Today  (Read 8906 times)

doctorb

Attended First Support Group Meeting Today
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:31:49 am »
Just wanted to thank everyone I met today at the first every support group meeting I attended here in Atlanta.  I enjoyed the opportunity to share, listen and learn...very much worth the time.  I look forward to seeing everyone again at the next meeting.

Doc Breger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Attended First Support Group Meeting Today
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:18:39 pm »
Doc Breger -

I'm in Illinois, but I take it you're an AN doctor?  Neurotolgoist?  Neurosurgeon?  ENT?

Support group meetings are awesome - as is this Forum - thanks for taking the time to attend.  We appreciate it - even those of us who don't live in Atlanta  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:02:25 am »
Hey, Doc, it's me, Cindy, from the meeting yesterday!  Was so nice to meet you - hope to see you again at the next meeting (probably Jan or so).  Glad to see you here on the forum - share your story, if you'd like - you are doing amazingly well for only being 8 weeks out, especially considering the size of your tumor!  I'm sure you will continue to improve as the days go on - it can seem painfully slow, but it will happen.  Your great attitude will serve you well!

Keep us posted,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:43:39 pm »
I think I'm confused here.  Is doctorb a doctor? a patient? or a doctor and a patient (like Sam Rush & Dufreyne)?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:25:27 pm »
Well, Jan, he's definitely an AN patient - just had surgery here in Atl 8 weeks ago.  He may be an actual doctor also, he didn't say whether he was or not when we met him yesterday at the meeting.  Just said his name was "Doc."  I didn't even think to ask if that meant he was a "real" doctor - we were all talking so much about his being a patient...

Doc?  Are you a doc or just Doc :)  Either way, we hope you'll hang around the forum with us.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

doctorb

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:34:20 am »
Hi Cindy & Jan,

Thanks again Cindy, I really enjoyed  :D meeting you and everyone else at last Saturday's meeting.  But most of all, I was so relieved to be able to tell my story to people that understood because we share a common experience; that was priceless. I can't wait until our next meeting; I just wish it were sooner.  By the way, I Googled Elliott, he is in fact an accomplished writer; very interesting guy!

Jan, nice to meet you, and I'm sorry to say, no I'm not a medical Doctor although that certainly would have made my mother very happy.  Like Cindy said, I am an AN - Post-Op Patient.  In fact, yesterday was actually 8 weeks to the day since my surgery (July 30th).  When time permits I'll be back to participate in the Forum as much as I can...I feel like I've got so much to say...more like just needing to get it of my chest  :-[ as it were.  Anyway, good to meet you and I look forward to sharing with everyone on these pages.   :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 06:37:12 am »
no I'm not a medical Doctor although that certainly would have made my mother very happy. 

Yea, well we can't always make our mothers happy   :D  I'm sure yours is proud of you no matter what profession you chose.

Thanks for the clarification - hope to see you back on the Forum - and hope to read your story - very soon.

Jan

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:05:26 am »
Hey Doc,
Keep us posted on how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing awesome 8 weeks out.. :) :)
Would love to hear more when you have time.
Happy day,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 09:03:15 am »
Slight hijack .....

Have to respond to the "Doc" issue.  The title Dr. ------ , unfortunately, has little meaning these days because there are so many disciplines that have a terminal degree of Doctor of something or other, and then many colleges/universities give honorary doctorates, which further complicates the title meaning.

My husband has an earned Ph.D. (as I am sure many others on this forum have, as well) and is a retired university professor, so his students all called him Dr. D.  I'm sorry, but he went to graduate school for 5 years (+ many more completing the dissertation while on the job) to earn his M.A. and Ph.D. so in my mind he is a "real" doctor, just not a medical one.

Thanks for letting me vent .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

doctorb

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:13 am »
Thanks Maureen,

I'll do my best to share more detail as I work my way back.

Best Regards,

Doc Breger

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:46:37 am »
Doc

shame on me for being late to the "welcome" committee meeting! ;)  good to have you here. I see you have found your way around, meeting some really nice folks, gaining and most of all, Sharing info.  I see you had the honour of meeting our cherished cindyj (I had the true honour, as well, last summer, when I flew to ATL to visit my family on the northside of town) and she's a true treasure. *waits for cindyj to slip "thank you for nice words" $5 my way*

I'm glad you enjoyed the support group meeting.  Whether in person... or on this forum, it truly is special to speak to others that walk our shoes.

Again, welcome to the site. 
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

doctorb

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:01:45 pm »
Phyl,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Interesting how quickly people have joined the conversation with the new guy...says a lot for the community.  Yes, Cindy certainly is a good one, no doubt about it.  She made me feel very welcome at last Saturday's meeting...very glad she was there.  The same for everyone I've meet so far, on the Forum and the Group.  I look forward to participating in the Forum and learning from everyone!

You take care!  :)

Doc

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:53 pm »
*waits for cindyj to slip "thank you for nice words" $5 my way*

Phyl
Here's a $20, Phyl!  You are too sweet, you know :)

Thanks to you, too, Doc - it was my plesure to meet you!  Do hope to see you at the next meeting - you will be a great inspiration to any newly diagnosed or recently treated folks that may be there.  That was a whopper of a tumor you had!

(Clarice, ooops, did I say something wrong?  Were you venting at me?  If so, sorry, I sure didn't mean anything by my comment regarding Doc being a "real" doc or not.  I didn't mean MD vs PHd or DDS or other initials, I meant any sort of doctorate degree vs just a nickname he may have acquired.  If I ever managed to get a PHd, I'd definitely be Dr. Cindy to all!  Sorry to you to, Doc...)

Cindy, no where near being a doc of any sort :)
feeling great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 01:41:34 pm »
Cindy ......

I was in no way directing my vent at you or anyone on this Forum.  The phrase "real doctor" just stirred up lots of emotions.   :-[  And, I am red-faced that I did not even welcome Doc to this Forum.

A big welcome to Doc Breger! I am glad you found not only us, but also the Atlanta support group.  As you well know, this AN journey is a rough one and to meet others who fully understand is a tremendous stress-reducer.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 01:53:48 pm »
Hi, Doc - and please accept yet another much-belated welcome. 

You're to be congratulated on your recovery and we look forward to seeing more posts from you.

I've never spent much time contemplating titles related to one's education.  However, I always thought the M.D. and PhD. titles were a bit confusing when the holders of either title can legitimately use the honorific 'doctor', which most ordinary people immediately assume stands for Medical Doctor (M.D.)  If that weren't confusing enough, My dentist, the local veterinarian and some ministers (with degrees in theology) can and do use the title 'Doctor' - so the confusion grows exponentially these days.   Maybe I'm old school, but when I hear someone addressed as 'doctor', I usually assume they're a medical doctor, unless I have reason to know their title refers to another field of expertise. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.