Author Topic: Question about sneezing  (Read 7395 times)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Question about sneezing
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:03:40 am »
I was told by Dr. Brackmann and have read on this forum that patients should refrain from sneezing post-op.  How exactly do you stop a sneeze?  For me sneezing is an involuntary reaction, usually to an allergen.  Any tips from posties on how to avoid sneezing?

BTW, this is a serious enough issue for me that I posted a message in my blog requesting people not send me flowers!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Question about sneezing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 06:06:51 am »
DR -

the trick is to sneeze with your mouth open.  Sounds kind of gross (and it can be) but that's the solution.

Dr. Brackmann probably also mentioned to you that you can't blow your nose for a time post op.  I can't remember the exact amount of time - but it's the same as the no sneezing.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 07:07:06 am »
Hey, Dennis!  Tall order, to not sneeze, isn't it!  I "accidentally" sneezed twice in a row on the plane ride home from LA after surgery.  My mom & I looked at each other in panic, waiting for something awful to happen  :o nothing happened, of course, but it was a bit scary.  Almost one year out now, it seems rather funny.  But, as Jan says, if you do have to sneeze (and you have warning about it), open your mouth - relieves the pressure in the head.

I also asked for no flowers, mainly due to the smell - knew I would not be able to tolerate it in the hospital.  Some sweet friends actually did send flowers, ended up having to give them away in the hospital...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:15 am »
I agree, that you can not prevent a sneeze if it is going to happen.  I am not a sneezer, but I was sitting in the breakfast room at Seton - 1 week post op...and I sneezed.  It scared the be-geebees out of me.  I felt like I did not know how to do it.  I sat stunned afterward and soon realized everyone was starring at me!   It did not feel good, but nothing happened.  I do think you should refuse flowers and keep anything else away that may irritate you. 

I was also told not to blow my nose for awhile...I think I went a month!  I was overly cautious as I did not want to spring a leak!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:18:57 am »
Thanks!  I didn't realize that sneezing with the mouth open was OK.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Seal

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:32 pm »
Sneezing is probably the only thing that has caused me alot of pain in the past six months.    As Jan said, sneeze with your mouth open, and you'll avoid the problem.     Every now and again, a quick sneeze comes up on me, and I forget to open my mouth or at least exhale whien the sneeze hits.  By keeping your mouth closed, it allows the pressure to build quickly, and oh man, it takes awhile for the headache to subside.    I will say that after six months, it is getting better and better, but initially, you just have to watch it.    When I feel it coming on, I start to exhale while the sneeze attack starts, and it works fine.    Good luck with your surgery!
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

cin605

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »
I think they tell you that becouse they know when you do its going to hurt like hell!!! ;D
I am a year n half out n i got up today n coughed n it hurt like hell.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

TP

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »
What was so wierd, I did not sneeze at all after my AN was removed. I didn't sneeze for months it seems until I was pretty much healed. Now when I sneeze I sound like my grandpa. I sneeze so loud and so unlady like. My husband makes fun of me cuz I also sneeze with extra sounds. Never did that before my AN was removed!!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »
My niece swears that if you say the word "butterscotch" when you feel a sneeze coming on, you won't actually sneeze.  I don't think it's been scientifically proven, but I guess it works for her.   ???

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:47:30 pm »
I pinch my nose and force a yawn. That usually works but for those that just can't be stopped... mouth open!  ;D

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:25:52 am »
I think they tell you that becouse they know when you do its going to hurt like hell!!! ;D

I'm not sure if you're serious here or not - but the reasoning behind the not sneezing and the not blowing your nose is the pressure it causes inside the head.  An open mouth relieves the pressure. 

I never had a sneeze that hurt - either pre or post op - sorry to hear that some do.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:43 pm »
I sneezed for the first time about two weeks post -op. I felt it coming and somehow my body instinctively knew to open my mouth. It felt strange but no pain. I was never told not to blow my nose, and i have been blowly it gently because i feel like there is stuff there. Now I am wondering if this could be a reason for my increase in headaches and facial pain this past week.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

mellowrama

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:46 pm »
I'm glad I don't have allergies, but I have had to stifle a few sneezes since surgery 7 weeks ago.  I just open my mouth too. 

I guess there's a lot of pressure up there, and healing too?   For me the bigger problem is that I forgot and somtimes try to blow my nose, it causes a high pressure pain feeling, and my an ear is very sensitive inside the canal....more itchy painful pressure.  I assume this is all normal and will get better over time.
melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:48:21 am »
I am not a sneezer either but I did sneeze post op maybe day 5-6 - with mouth open - it is gross but works - no pressure.  SInce then, I have sneezed several times with mouth open and no problem beside the grossness of it.  It is not something I would want to do in public around a lot of people....I must say I am not looking forward to doing this once I get in the classroom as my students will totally be grossed out but maybe by then, I can close my mouth or desperately grab a tissue!  COme to think of it, I am not sure HOW LONG you have to sneeze with mouth open?  Or not blow nose?  Anyone know the timeframe for that? (Please don't tell me forever :D)
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 07:42:30 am »
All of these precautions are just to prevent straining.  You do not want to rupture your fat graft and cause a CSF leak.  So working out, lifting, straining, sneezing, blowing your nose all go together to cause pressure.  Just try to reduce what you can and you will know when your body can handle more.  For sneezing and blowing your nose...a month (2 tops) and you should be able to be in public  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm