Author Topic: Good thoughts for a new AN friend  (Read 5753 times)

Pembo

Good thoughts for a new AN friend
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »
The sister in law of a co-worker was diagnosed a couple weeks ago with a 6 cm AN! She is in her early sixties. They had surgery scheduled for today but 2 nights ago she had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital. The AN is believed to be causing the seizures and she was started on meds but she also has pneumonia so surgery was postponed.  She is sedated and resting at the Cleveland Clinic until she is recovered enough from pneumonia to have surgery.

In talking with my coworker, her only symptoms were some hearing loss, some dizziness and other things she just attributed to old age. I had given my coworker information about our site and the ANA as well as my contact info. Hopefully she will have surgery and a good recovery and maybe join our group afterwards.

Please send some good thoughts her way.......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Good thoughts for a new AN friend
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:36:53 pm »
Barb .....

Oh, WOW, 6 cms is a whopper!  So sorry this woman is having to deal not only with the prospect of AN surgery but dealing with seizures and pneumonia.

My prayers for recovery from pneumonia soon so she can have a successful surgery.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TP

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:28:47 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this. I am praying for her now... When my AN was diagnosed, my Dr told me that if I had not had my surgery within the month I would more than likely have seizures. I had my surgery within a few weeks but I never really thought I would have gotten seizures. Now that I've heard that someone has had this happen to them I am just so thankful that I insisted in seeing my pain Dr who ordered the MRI and set me up with a neurosurgeon all within a few days. God is in control and I pray this special women will have a quick recovery from her pneumonia and surgery in the very near future.  Pembo - Please keep us posted.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Nani

• It's not rocket science. Just brain surgery.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »
My thoughts and prayers are with her. 6cm!  Wow...
- AN surgery 3-17-09. 3.8 x 5.1cm tumor.  1 month in the hospital and a couple in ST, OT and PT.

*People are always going to be behind you telling you you can't.  The important thing is to turn around and say 'watch me'.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:10 pm »
Pembo -

I hope your co-worker's SIL does join us here on the Forum.

In the meantime, I'll keep her in my prayers.  Please keep us updated on her situation.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:25:04 am »
My prayers are added too...
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34:20 am »
So sorry to hear about her situation.  She is in my prayers.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 05:37:12 am »
She's in terrific hands at the Cleveland Clinic... and my thoughts and prayers and wellness wishes are being sent, in the hopes they help.

Please keep us updated, Pembo, on her status.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20:03 am »
I'm adding your friend's sister-in-law to my prayers too.  I hope she recovers from the pnemonia quickly so they can treat her AN, hopefully with good results. 

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kiwi Don

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:11 pm »
Pembo

My thoughts and prayers from afar go out to her

Don
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:33:18 pm by Kiwi Don »
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:34 pm »
Pembo ~

Thanks for taking the time and having the compassion to alert us to an AN patient with a huge tumor and other physical issues to deal with before she can undergo surgery. 

I fully understand ignoring AN symptoms and chalking them up to 'aging'.  I did the same thing (pre-diagnosis) but, when my surgery and radiation were completed, I found myself extremely fortunate not to have suffered anything but hearing loss in one ear.  I pray your co-workers relative will be as fortunate.  I trust she'll pull through the removal surgery O.K. and eventually consider joining the forums.  Her 6 cm AN might earn her 'Hero' status sooner than usual.   ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:21:18 am »
6 cm!? Wow!! I know what it's like because i wasn't too far away from that myself at 5 cm. I was messed up pretty bad. I thought I had either MS or Lou Gehrig's Disease.

I wonder if she's having any CSF problems like I did. Fluid build-up compounds equilibrium problems.
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

tenai98

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 07:38:37 am »
Wow that sure is a whopper....my prayers are with her
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Pembo

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:50:36 pm »
Talked with my co-worker today....her sister in law is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning (10-13). She is not doing well and has been kept sedated at the Cleveland Clinic. The family is hoping that after surgery a lot of her symptoms will be gone. I didn't want to say but there may be new ones.  :( Hopefully I'll have good news to report soon......
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »
Thoughts and prayers for all ..... patient and family members, as well.  A tough time of waiting, hoping for the best!  ..... and, prayers for you as well, Pembo, because you are closely involved emotionally with your co-worker.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011