Author Topic: Fall #2  (Read 3829 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Fall #2
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:10:07 am »
Well, since my surgery last January I have recovered with few issues. Yes, I am still adjusting to SSD but no facial or major balance issues.  Back in February I did slip and fall on some icy pavement and scraped my knuckles pretty good. Hey, it was icy but I know that I probably would have recovered from the slide without falling prior to my AN.

Today I was getting up from my seat on the subway to get ready to exit the train at the next stop when the train jolted and I could not recover my balance before going down.  Two gents on the train helped me up and I was able to continue on my way at the next stop as if nothing happened. But I know that the 'old' me would not have fallen and this was just another 'reminder' that my balance, though pretty good, is not what it used to be.

Still, only 2 falls since surgery (8+ months ago) is not bad.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Fall #2
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:12 am »
Hi Neal,
   I know what you mean about balance not being what it used to be.  I describe it as not having as much reserve balance capability as before AN. Even though for normal situations, my balance is fine.  Sudden unexpected movements, like your subway train lurching, are harder to handle.

Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:00:42 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

moe

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:37:56 am »
Neal,
Yes, it was a fall, but unintentional. The NY subway system (I assume) has no mercy. :o
Hope it didn't bruise the male ego.
You did well, took it in stride. :)
Helps give empathy to the elders out there who deal with it every day, huh?
Keep it up. 8 months post surgery - doing great!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:47:00 am »
Neal .....

Falling is my #1 concern since my surgery, almost 20 months ago.  My situation is a little unique.  Although I am not NF2, I have had suboccipital microsurgeries on both sides, resulting in no vestibular function from either side.  Through extensive vestibular therapy I have learned to compensate very well using my somatosensory and visual aspects only.  However, in the dark and on uneven surfaces I have great uneasiness.  I have also learned that upon standing up quickly or changing directions quickly, I simply have to wait that extra couple of seconds before moving to orient myself (using primarily my vision) to the new visual cues.

I have to agree with Maureen that most subway or train systems would have no mercy for those of us with balance issues.  Be careful!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:36:06 am »
Hi Neal:  Glad you weren't hurt & that you're able to take this in stride.
I'm always keeling over when I do yoga, but I just try to get right back into the position...
What else can we do ?  As long as we don't injure ourselves !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »
Neal ~

You're normal. 

I'm 3 years past surgery & radiation and still have a slight balance deficit.  It isn't noticeable in everyday life; I don't bump into doorways or corners and I don't require a handrail while walking up or down a stairway.  However, if something suddenly throws me off-balance, it is difficult to recover quickly, if at all.  While I've only had one fall, which did no harm, a less-than 100% sense of balance remains a reality for me.  Fortunately, it's a reality that I can easily live with, as you do.  I expected a few lingering deficits following my surgery & radiation, and while I could do without them, I feel that I'm doing very well and have nothing to complain about.  Good to see another AN patient with a similar outlook.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Seal

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »
Hi Neal,

As the saying goes......ditto.     I"ve only fallen a few times, but as you noted, its usually out of the ordinary circumstances.     Sometimes, the issue has been on a pictching deck of the boat.    Other times, it has been as simple as turning quickly and not having my feet under me.    I agree that its not perfect, but hey, we all just have to get comfortable with the "new normal" whatever that means for each of us.      I am very very glad that I can do just about everything that I did previously, and with only six months gone, I hope to even see a little more improvement as well.   However if this is as good as it gets, I can live with it and even thrive with it.     I would guess that my balance is around 85% of what normal used to be.    I'd like to get back closer to 90-95%, and maybe that will happen with some training, etc.    I was talking to a friend today who is black belt in three different  traditions from karate to judo.    His suggestion was to start with yoga to improve and enhance balance.   I think I may give it a try this winter.     Stay positive!!

Steve

PS:  the worst is a pitching deck in the DARK!!!   
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
Hi Neal,

I really hate these kinds of reminders and I'm glad you didn't get injured.  My original AN surgery was in January and I still keep walking & moving as if nothing was different - then end up staggering when I turn too fast at work, or slam into my colleague's shoulder when I look at him while walking quickly to a meeting!  I have not fallen yet, but I know if I don't do a better job remembering all the things I've read and been told about compensating, I am going to fall.

I have recently joined a gym and hired a personal trainer so I can be as healthy and strong as I can turning 49 soon!  I know I would have sprawled out on the floor of the train had I been in your shoes, too, and I'm kinda glad that my small town has no such modes of transportation!

I hate to admit that I'm not my old self...but have to laugh sometimes at the struggles of life and marvel at how resilient we are in spite of it all.

Take best of care!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

moe

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 11:07:30 am »
Thinking back to my surgery, my balance/hearing/facial nerves were completely squashed from the tumor.
I had very little balance issues right after surgery and to this day do very well.
BUT the face nerve was sacrificed so we all have to deal with something, eh?
Keep truckn!
 :-\
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »
I am so sorry for your fall but being a newbie is helping me in what to expect and knowing I am not alone I thought that the balance would come back but reading everyone's responses at least now I can prepare myself to just take a moment and think before doing usually I do and think afterwards....
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:55:37 am »
Me too Neal ~ I have fallen once.  Just last week!  Getting off an airport rental car bus!  Sore ankle for a few days, two scraped knees, and a realization that not everyone is helpful...I am fine.  Definitely puts life in perspective...be cautious, but don't hold back your dreams!  Get out there and live!  Alicia

Life was definitely easier when we were shorter - kids fall down everyday - I bet they aren't posting about it  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 11:04:49 am »
Hmmmm riding the bus in Mexico is going to be a treat...but I am looking forward to challenging my balance every chance I get...walking along the soft sandy beach.  Gonna be interesting and I'm sure I"ll get a few looks....I havent fallen yet, but I'm sure I'll be taking a few in Mexico
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7