Author Topic: my first post surgery marathon  (Read 6659 times)

Keri

my first post surgery marathon
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »
Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I'm going to try and complete the Baltimore marathon. I've been in a training group since July and have given up sleeping on Saturday mornings to run run run hours and hours and hours!  My first (and so far, only) marathon was about a year ago. I had an AN at the time but didn't find out until a few days later. Now, I'm returning to Baltimore where I had my surgery. My first marathon tme was 5:19. I was hoping to break 5:00 in this one, but I fell the other day and whacked my knee! It's bruised and I hope it doens't factor into tomorrow's run. I'll be happy and thankful to finish, and I'll let you know how it goes! 

I wish I could qualify for Boston and then come back up and crash the luncheon in April! If I keep my 5:ish marathon time when I'm 80, then I'll BQ!

I appreciate everyone's support throughout the months I've been on this forum. I haven't been on as much lately, and I'd like to figure out who's who and what with the newbies and also how my 'regular' buddies are doing.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

Re: my first post surgery marathon
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:38:25 pm »
Keri,

You're going to do awesome!  I hope the knee behaves and doesn't give you any trouble.

"The miracle is not that I finished the race. The miracle is that I had the courage to start".  (forgot the name of the running dude that said that).

Good luck to a very courageous lady!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:24:24 pm »
Keri:

I've never been a runner, but have considered taking it up. I'm a walker, and lately I've been getting headaches during my walks. Don't know that I'll ever make it as a runner. How do you do it?

Good luck tomorrow.
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:15:46 pm »
Good luck, Keri  ;D

A colleague of mine is running the Chicago Marathon tomorrow - hope she has a nice pair of long undies!  It's darn cold in Chi-town this weekend  :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:32:05 am »
Central and  Iowa is having light snow this am.     Now just looks like flurries but more earlier.   Feels like Dec out.    Record cold tonight too.             Not good for harvest time!                                 I am not liking the earlier evening darkness as makes me not want to go outside and goof up the balance.
                                                                             Cheryl R         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:12:22 am »
Guess you're almost finished by now, Keri...just awesome!  Wow - no matter whether you cut your time or not!  Will be anxious to hear how you feel and how you did...

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 01:35:07 pm »
wonder how things went??   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »
Hi everyone,
Thank you, everyone!
I did it in 5:08:18ish. That beat my last year's time. Boy there were times where it felt like everything hurt! I was so thankful and happy to see mile marker 25. Then I knew I could run a little faster and it would be over soon! It was fun, in a painful sort of way. But good pain, of course! (can say that now that it's over).

Jan - my husband's run Chicago twice (maybe 3??) One year he had trained to hard and it was supposed to be his BIG race so he could qualify for Boston. Well, that was the year it was record breaking hot. He ran really slowly instead and tried not to mess himself up.
I have a friend running Chicago. I'm glad it's not too warm! Spectators may not have as much fun!

Thanks,
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »
Yeah, Keri!!!  ;D

It's been a long time since I've run around the block  :P  Can't imagine 25 miles!

Kudos to you!  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »
Keri ~

Congratulations - well done!  Like Jan, I can't imagine running even a short distance, much less 26 miles - for over 5 hours.  I somewhat envy your fitness.  Now, take a rest. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »
This is a TREMENDOUS undertaking & great outcome ! !  You're not even 1 year post op ! !   INCREDIBLE ! !   
Congratulations,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 04:25:50 pm »
WAY TO GO!!

K  javascript:void(0);
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 07:28:59 pm »
Keri!  Way to go!  And to beat your previous time!  Know that was such a great feeling to cross that finish line.  Enjoy your day on the couch tomorrow :)

Cindy

PS - Still training for my 1/2, sure wish I could do the 26.2...maybe next year - you've inspired me!
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 07:58:25 pm »
Keri

Congratulations!  I've never been a runner but, as a spectator,  can appreciate how much discipline it takes to participate in a marathon.  Just amazing!  Kudos to you!!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 08:40:19 pm »
Nice work, Keri. I bet standing around the finish line for 10 minutes and thinking "last year I was still running at this time" felt good. Did it feel shorter? :)

Great to see you back at it after surgery. Life goes on!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.