Author Topic: Dental Concerns  (Read 9873 times)

Static

Dental Concerns
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:14:37 pm »
I was just at the dentist for the 4th time since my surgery just over 2 years ago.  I didn't go to the dentist until just this year and am so sorry I waited.  Basically I was sick of doctors and figured since I didn't have any problems all my life, it could wait.  I was so wrong.  4th trip, 3rd root canal, needing a 4th and maybe a 5th.  I never realized how much of a problem dry mouth can cause.  Also, according to my xrays, things have changed so fast in the past 6 weeks that what was a medium sized cavity now was so full of bacteria and infected that I had to have the root canal.  Second one being done next week.  Don't put off going to the dentist no matter how much you are sick of doctors or don't like dentists, etc.  Because I need so much work right away, my insurance only allows a certain amount each year and I will have alot of out of pocket charges because I am almost at my max for the year.  My new year don't start until August.  The pain got too bad to wait and the xrays showed all the decay that I'm wondering if  I would even have had a tooth by August!  I think trying to put it off until when my insurance would cover it ended up making it worse.  Insurance companies are a PITA!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Raydean

Re: Dental Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:06:30 pm »
Hi Static,

I'm glad that you're getting the dental problems under control (saddened by what it does to your pocketbook) but it'll be worth it in the end.  I truly wish that the treating physicians would address this issue more.  It's kinda glossed over.   For those with larger tumors and facial paralysis please learn from our mistakes and go the extra mile to maintain healthy teeth.  In the long run you'll save.  It's very expensive to repair the teeth to the extent that Static needs, and was equally expensive to have the teeth removed and dentures done for my husband.  Due to combination of reduced salivia, possible reduced/restricted blood flow and numbness dentall problems can develope rapidly, with serious problems. 
You've worked so hard to keep your  "smiles"  with the AN treatment,  now it's time to work just as hard to keep on smiling.

Best to all
Raydean

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:19:34 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rc Moser

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:17:09 pm »
Not that you didn't need dental work. I find that after my operation the nerves that go to my teeth fire when I have migraine's. I have alway's gone to the dentist, but IMO do to the droopness of my left side makes my teeth more susceptable to dental problems. Usually it's the right side that throbs when My nerves start firing. Getting better, but still having Migraine's with right side nerves from my teeth, eye, and forhead firing the most! Recovering from one today :(
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 07:31:49 am »
I was warned from the start to take good care of my teeth.  I bought a sonic care tooth brush, and i drink tons of water.   I also try, to rinse my mouth each day with Listerine.  With the paralysis its a little messy, but it can be done.

DS

thecakes

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 09:23:38 am »
  Saliava helps clean the mouth.  I knew I'd be in trouble with that because I have little of it.  I am 47 and still have no cavities.  But everytime I go to the dentest{6 months} he can see a little more brake down.  The dentest gave me a froride toothpaste and he said ater brushing do'nt rinse.  This is terrible.  I can't stand the taste in your mouth and the consistance of glue.  I am using a froride rinse instead.  So far so goodbut I am getting older.  I know some day the cavities will come. :(

matti

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:12:11 pm »
Great thread Static

I have never had so many dental problems since having AN surgery. They all have occured on the AN side. I have had 3 root canals and 4 crowns. Since my surgery I make sure I see my dentist 3 times per year and am dilligent about brushing/flossing/flouride and only sugarless gum, don't know what more I could do  ???  My gums are alot more recessed on that side as well.

I too was maxed out last year and had quite a bit out of pocket. I see me dentist next month and I cringe at the thought of what he will find.  >:(

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

sunshine16

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 07:05:40 pm »
Hi guys,

here I am again w/ another question.  I just came from a dentist visit (it was a struggle but I have to do it now or wait for the worse!).  I have one cavity, and it is too late to do just filling.  I have to come back next week to  have a root canal done.  Now, my question is,  I'm 6 months post op now,  For some of you who had root canal, were you guys able to take Vicoden and Amoxicillin?  Are they safe?  I'm 100 lbs. and really sensitive when it comes to any kind of medications.  I believe once I have the root canal Dr. will prescribe me 500mg. of each?  I called my doctor (AN-internist) and his office is already closed.  As you can tell, I can't wait for tomorrow when his office opens again.

Thank you in advance,  for any input I will receive from here. 

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:12:48 pm »
sunshine - I don't know the answer to your question but I'm very sensitive to meds and Vicodin would put me under the table!!!

As for dental issues, my dentist has been great. He has a lot of knowledge on facial paralysis too. I've been greatful for his wisdom.  He has me use an electric toothbrush and I can't stand the "manual" kind anymore. ;) I haven't had any problems with my teeth. I just have to spend a bit more time brushing and flossing now.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:05 pm »
Definitely take the antibiotics. You don't want to risk a jaw infection   After a root canal the root is gone, so no pain. Probably won't give you pain meds and if he does, just take 1/2 to start and only if you need it.  My dentist had me take my paindarvocet) med with 2ibuprophen when I couldn't get into the endodontist for 2 days.. Always take both of these with food!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 07:53:03 pm »
Hi Sunshine - I have had two root canals since my AN surgery (both on the AN side) and did not have to take any antbiotics. I did not have an abcess either time, do you have an infection?  Maybe your dentist does it as a precautionary measure? There really wasn't much pain, just some gum irritation from the injections. I hate taking any medication. Right now I am on Cipro for a spider bite and it makes me so tired and disconnected. I was also given Vicadin and only took a couple and was really loopy (more so than usual LOL). Stopped those right away.

Make sure you ask for frequent breaks during the procedure and ask if they have a jaw rest that helps take the stress off your jaw muscles. While most root canals are done in one session, quite often and in my case I did it in two because of my facial paralysis.

I have been wondering how you were doing, I have not seen you on in a while, hope all is OK.

take care,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

sunshine16

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 08:19:29 pm »
Hi Cheryl,

My dentist put a jaw rest but I didn't use it.  The tooth that needs a root canal is on the right side, AN was in left.  So, when he put the jaw rest I had a hard time breathing.  Sounds weird?  I guess because, half of my tounge is already numb to begin with and numbing the other side made it worse. 

I will call my AN doctor and still asked if I could take the possible medications dentist might prescribe.  I'm also sensitive w/ Advil.  So, I might just stick w/ Tylenol.....  Hopefully, it will works and i don't need to take Vicaden. 

I've been okay for the most part.  Still dealing w/ headaches, fatigue, and sometimes I feel as if my brain on AN side swells.  Did any of you here felt that, too? 

Rc Moser

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 09:29:57 pm »
IMO the dental problems was already there. I too neglected my teeth after I got out of the service and also paid for it. I also believe that following AN operation makes any dental problems worse. I can't stand to have anything in my teeth now, especially when I have an Headache. IMO the nerves to the teeth also fire when you have Migraines and IMO can trigger Mirgraines. It's money well spent for us that still have teeth to have them cleaned twice a year, which most dental  insurance companies will pay for. Especially Important for us aproaching or golden years. IMO you can bursh and still it won't get it all under the gums.  A good water pic helps, but only good dental cleaning artist will save them.  IMO nobody wants another root canal after having one, this alone is motivation to keep them clean. I also find that on my AN side the gums also droop alittle agravating any little dental problems to major ones. 
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 05:36:17 pm »
Dental issues were/are a problem for me as well. Having the inner cheek leaning against my teeth made thing go down hill, the "repairs" I have had over the years to my face have helped with the teeth to so degree. Basically every tooth on the "bad side" is filled at least on one surface and I'm just going to have them pull the wisdom tooth because it needs a filling and I know it is not getting a great cleaning and likely will just continue to rot.
Just another *&%tty thing about AN's!
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jacobs

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:01:56 pm »
   After reading this I am going to call the dentist tomorrow!I am 5 weeks post op form a trans lab 2.5 removal in Toronto.I went to the dentist before my surgery and put off having a cavity filled because of the impending surgery.I don't have any coverage and might have put it off even longer if I hadn't read these posts.Thanks!
Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 09:19:10 pm »
Just thought I would let you all know I've been watching this post with interest based on my upcoming surgery, and just happened to have my six month check up last week.   As a precaution, since the dental problems can happen so quickly, she put me on prescription tooth paste....and told me to get some flouride and start using it.  The big thing that helps is that if you normally brush then swish the toothpaste out with water, don't.  Spit out what you can and leave a bit of residue.  The flouride in there helps protect your mouth. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar