Author Topic: Happy ANniversary to me!  (Read 2184 times)

Denisex2boys

Happy ANniversary to me!
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:13:47 pm »
Gosh I cannot BELIEVE it is a year TODAY!  1 year ago right now I was about in the middle of my 12 hour surgery - - - - I didn't care - - - - I was sleeping ;) but my family sure was anxious!

.... I thought it time for an update .... we were away EVERY weekend from May till last weekend – and we headed to our 'summer home away form home' for our Cdn. Thanksgiving to close it for the winter and winterize everything .... now that we’ll be home more I can catch up!

‘Verbal diarrhea’ here I come’ .... I am back to work full-time and have been for some months now. I am generally feeling pretty good but still have residual effects from the surgery. I have severe dry eye (no tears) to which I have to lube all the time - - I have noticed that this week it has gotten much worse due to the weather change and furnaces kicking in again. My face is at about 90% - slight crooked eye and smile (my left eye feels frozen still (bottom lid and just feels 'off') – but people that don’t know me do not notice. I am still suffering from headaches and facial (nerve pain) but this may or may not rectify itself - it is not debilitating - but just 'there' - - it was one heck of a year and still have recovery - but all is going as expected. I have another MRI scheduled for January .... Ick! and then follow-up with Neuro.

I do have complete hearing and vestibular loss on the left and even though this was a small price to pay for such a successful excision of the tumour – but - to be honest - - I cannot get used to it - - I am finding conversation difficult and tend to just not participate anymore since it is too hard to try to hear what people are saying. I am forever saying ‘pardon’ and feel I am burdening people by asking them to repeat themselves all the time. I have been telling people now though that I do have a hearing loss and apologize to them for not ‘understanding’. I am sure that all of us with hearing loss can attest that it is a very different kind of hearing loss more than just not hearing ..... I have no sense of direction and everything ‘meshes’ together – there are no individual sounds anymore. I find noisy environments horrible .... grocery stores, restaurants, the beach, generally anywhere where there are a lot of background noises. If someone is to my left and talking to me – they may as well be talking to a wall - - I consciously have to remember to place myself in a position where I can hear (even one to one conversation) - -

HOWEVER .... on the good side! I have been selected to take part in a trial for a new type of hearing aid being developed RIGHT here in my hometown - - so if this works I will definitely get one – I will be trialing it for a couple of months and this will entail wearing a device behind both my deaf ear and ‘good’ ear - - it will ‘mimic’ like there is sound on the left and give me some sense of direction – some people love these devices and others don’t – I am REALLY excited and really hope this new technology works for me – it will be soooo’ nice to be able to feel a part of things again ...... the only way I can explain the type of hearing loss I have is .... when you fly and you have that plugged, want to pop feeling in your ears - - along with the ever present tintinitus - it’s YUCKY! You feel as if in a padded room with cotton batten shoved in your ears - - I can hear everything 'internal' and the water from a shower hitting my head drives me batty - - it is soooooooo' loud internally - - very frustrating - the kids (especially Brendan) gets upset at times that I have to ask his to repeat himself - Mitchell usually comes right up to my right ear and yells - LOL! The ‘freezing’ – or nerves are now ‘waking’ up on the back of my head - - feels as though all my hair is bent the wrong way (make sense?)

So all in all – I must say I am feeling at at least 99.5% percent better than I was last year at this time – tomorrow ;)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Happy ANniversary to me!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:25:03 pm »
Hi, Denise ~

Happy 'anniversary' - and thanks for the update.  Good to see you back!

Although you've had obstacles to surmount you seem to be coping quite well and dealing with some of the post-op deficits that come with AN surgery/radiation.  I was pleased to read that your post-op issues didn't keep you from returning to work or, more importantly, enjoying your summer with lots of activity.  It's unfortunate that your SSD is such a burden for you but that is not uncommon.  Going from normal hearing to 50% (if you're lucky) is certainly a hard adjustment to make for all of us in that situation.  I hope the hearing aid you mentioned can help you and that this problem can be conquered.  Your self-analysis of being 99.5% better than you were a year ago, in surgery, is great news!  May the next year bring even more improvement for you.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 01:52:13 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:15:49 pm »
Denise -

it's SO good to hear from you  ;D - it's been awhile.  I can't believe it's been an entire year since your surgery.  Happy Anniversary!   I've been wondering how things are going - 99.5% better than last year sounds very positive! 

I hope the new hearing device works out for you - please keep us posted on the details.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:56:32 pm »
Happy Anniversary!!

That trial for the hearing thing sounds awesome!

I have a suggestion for that dry eye. I too used the lube multiple times a day and it still felt dry. My eye doc put in a punctual plug (no pain, in the office, 2 second procedure) and I started on Restasis. One drop, twice a day and I haven't used the lube since. Restasis did burn a little in the beginning but nothing now. Talk to an eye doc. I'm SO glad to be off the lube and I even can wear my contacts.

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:32:27 am »
Happy ANniversary Denise!  Honestly, it seems like yesterday that you had your treatment and can't believe its now a year later! :)  Wellness wishes to you, MAJOR congrats on this milestone and thanks for sharing your update with everyone! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

bell

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:30 pm »
Hi Denise,
Congratulations!   I can not wait for 1 year and then another!  I look forward to any day that I feel better.
I also had a punctal plug put in my tear duct and what a difference.  Regular eye drops or light gel couple times a day and PM glob at night.  Takes a little getting use to but worth it.
Bell

kzanana

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:36:36 pm »
Hi Denise:
     I had my surgery 11/25-08 and have a few questions for you. When you said you still have headaches but tolerable, what does that mean ?  The back of My head still feels like it is in a vice and as the day goes on it gets tighter.  When I cough or sneeze, oh Lord, my head implodes and it takes about an hour of icing it to get any control back. Sometimes  my headaches are so bad it takes over 12 hours to even be able to talk without it hurting. I am seeing a new Neurologist and she is trying to help but says I might be as good as I'm getting. What an awful thought. New medications all come with different side affects and no meds are almost better than trying new ones. 
    I have just a little facial nerve damage, right side and like you not many even notice. I notice it though. I  am right side deaf and have all that goes with that. Loud places are not a fun place to be and I love the beach. I still walk very unbalanced and if I know I'll be in a large open area need to use a cane. Sure not how I expected to spend the last half of my life:( 
       Well thanks for letting me share.  Kathy