Author Topic: Newbie- 31 years old, just diagnosed 10/15  (Read 15691 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Newbie- 31 years old, just diagnosed 10/15
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:10 am »
Hi Lyn and welcome. I see I am late to the party but did want to extend a hearty welcome to you.   there really isn't much more I can add to this but I do know of many that had AN's treated at Shands and know of Dr. Friedman, so you are in good hands there, as well as Tampa (as noted by Jan/leapyrtwins).  My AN was exact same size as your's...... and I'm doing ok :)  Please hang in there. Know we are cheering you on and again, welcome.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:41 pm »
Thanks again.  I've been reading all of the blogs linked in your signatures.  All I can say is "WOW!"  I've come away with terrific information and a lot of inspiring stories.  I'm feeling much better today.  I'm back to class today to give myself something else to obsess over.   We'll see what the ENT says tomorrow. 

My husband has been cracking a few jokes and it feels good to laugh about it.  Life goes on!

Also, I started a blog.  It seems like good therapy.   :D
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:56 pm »
Glad things are better today - keep laughing - I contribute that & my strong faith to my incredible healing!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:23 pm »
Glad things are better today - keep laughing - I contribute that & my strong faith to my incredible healing!

;D

Your girls are gorgeous!  Who wouldn't love that hair?  I can see that you are very blessed indeed.   :)

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 12:46:20 pm »
I was diagnosed with a Ginormous AN in Oct 2008 (4.5+cm) when I was 34 and my children were 3 years old and 6 weeks.  I had surgery at House in Los Angeles in November, resulting in a successful tumor removal, but I was also in the small % where the facial nerve could not be saved--it was cut and grafted.  First off, facial paralysis is not the end of the world.  It is VERY rarely a permanent condition.  In less than a year, I have improved to the point that most people wouldn't notice there was anything "off" with my face, and everything is working well enough that I don't feel physically limited by it anymore.  My smile is a little bit crooked, and my eye is slower to blink, but not a big deal at all.  Secondly, with a good experienced surgeon and a small tumor, your chances of experiencing facial paralysis are very small.  Thirdly, as scary as surgery was going into it, I suffered zero complications from it and recovered quickly.  I was riding a horse again in January, and was able to scout cotton all summer (very physically demanding), as well as caring for my kids all this time.

Through it all, it was my kids that kept me going.  As difficult as it was to go through the surgery and facial paralysis, I knew that as long as I was here and able to be a mother to them, that the rest of it would be Ok.  And it was.  Is.  :-)

Vonda

goldiesmom

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 05:26:39 pm »
Hi Lyn,

As a law student, I TOTALLY understand your concerns.  I had a significant amount of paralysis after my surgery, and I was terrified that it would last.  Amazingly, it didn't.  It's been seven months since my surgery, and my only side effect is the permanent hearing loss (my tumor had essentially swallowed up the acoustic nerve).  I ended up one semester behind, which was frustrating at the time, though much less disastrous than it could have been, to be sure.

I know you're getting tons of support from everyone on here (HOORAY!), but if you ever want to talk about the specifics of dealing with the surgery and managing law school, don't hesitate to let me know! 

Remember to breathe.  Deeply, and a lot. 

Liz

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:45 pm »
Hello there, welcome to the club...I am yet another newbie like yourself, and am in the same situation...I am about 99% decided what I am going to do with mine, translab....but this time of asking yourself...what to do, what to do? is enough to drive anyone crazy. But hang in there, we are all with you.  Oh, I have to tell you...that humor thing IS indeed the way to go. I have managed to keep my whole family a little more relaxed by making jokes about it.  See, for years and years I've been doing that silly line Arnold Scwarzeneggar did in his movie Kindergarten Cop, where he's hold his head wearily after a long day in class, and one of the little kids asks him what is wrong, and he replies, in true Ahnuld fashion, "I just have a headache" to which replies another kid "It might be a tumor", then he replies back "It's not a tumor, it's just a headache!" Anyways, so I've used that line for YEARSSS and my daughter once said she'd laugh if I ended up with one...well, I did..hehe...yes, we have a warped sense of humor but it just goes to show you how much better things can be because of it! Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share that with everyone! Keep us posted on how it goes!  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Kiwi Don

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
Hi Lyn,
Welcome to The Club, it seems us "Newbies" are becoming more common than the Statistics suggest.
Anyway you will find a lot of info that will aid in the decision making here, just remember to take a break and take a breath, it's not all doom and gloom.
Here it is all positive support from a great bunch of folks.
Well wishes for your journey.
Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

lori67

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:00 am »
Hijack alert....

Jay, welcome!  My family has the same warped sense of humor and it has helped more than I ever expected!  Who knew it would come in so handy?  And I've heard the Ahnold line a lot in the past few years too!   :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic....halo just a little tipped - not on the floor.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 08:56:30 am »
Hijack alert....

Jay, welcome!  My family has the same warped sense of humor and it has helped more than I ever expected!  Who knew it would come in so handy?  And I've heard the Ahnold line a lot in the past few years too!   :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic....halo just a little tipped - not on the floor.

Lori
you also forgot to say "welcome" to Liz/GoldiesMom (her first post in this thread).... keep the halo on.... looks better in its proper place :)  Hi Liz and Jay and welcome! Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:16 am »
See, for years and years I've been doing that silly line Arnold Scwarzeneggar did in his movie Kindergarten Cop, where he's hold his head wearily after a long day in class, and one of the little kids asks him what is wrong, and he replies, in true Ahnuld fashion, "I just have a headache" to which replies another kid "It might be a tumor", then he replies back "It's not a tumor, it's just a headache!" Anyways, so I've used that line for YEARSSS and my daughter once said she'd laugh if I ended up with one...well, I did..hehe...yes, we have a warped sense of humor but it just goes to show you how much better things can be because of it! Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share that with everyone! Keep us posted on how it goes!  Take care!
Jay

Haha, Jay, while I was in the ER where my AN was discovered we were doing the same "It's not a tumah!", and then when they told us the news my husband said "We were wrong, it is a tumah."  :P
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Keeping Up

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 08:26:08 pm »
Hi Lyn

A big welcome to the club you may not have wanted to join. 

I would suggest you try tracking down AmyE (or something akin) - your age and symptoms, tumor size, and route to diagnosis sounds familiar.  I honestly can't remember what she did - I think her dizziness/unbalance corrected itself after many weeks/months (maybe meds?) and she went back to horseback riding.  I can't remember if she was pursuing treatment or not.

I am also in the small tumor club, have a few years on you (37) with four little ones (should fix my siggie - they are all one year older now, 7, 5, 3 and 2).

Since I am asymptomatic (other than hearing loss which is slowly progressing, and tinnitus), I have decided to wait it out.  It helps I am with a team of surgeons that don't mind the conservative route.  They think I have a very good chance to make 10 years without any treatment (surgery or radiation).  Only time will tell.  My next MRI is in late January (or early February but I need to change the date).

Welcome, do your research - small tumors are generally much easier to treat so you have that on your side for sure.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

moe

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 12:03:23 am »
Hi Lyn,
A belated hello! By now you are probably feeling much better with all these wonderful posts.
Your tumor is small and shouldn't be too hard to get rid of, depending on the location of course.
You are a busy momma/student. I don't know how you ladies do it!
Stay positive, things will work out OK for you.
Your can do attitude will get you far.
We're here for you :)
Maureen
I was another unfortunate one who had to have my facial nerve cut. My symptoms were slow and insidious over so many years. By the time I finally TOOK the time to go to ENT for hearing loss (which had just manifested itself over the previous year), I was in for quite the surprise. It was a medium-large AN. You are on track.
So yes, it's good you got your symptoms while the tumor is small. Weird how everyone has such different symptoms. Some are noticeable at warped speed, others just are kind of there with no real concern.
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:09 am »
Today I'm headed for another MRI (this time with contrast) to get a better look at the unwanted visitor in my ear.  The ENT seems pretty confident that the only thing this could be is an AN, so I'm really only expecting to get a better look and maybe a slightly more accurate measurement.

Also, they're gently pushing me in the surgical direction, although after my own research I was already leaning that way.  I think with my age, the size of my AN, and after weighing the risks/rewards this might be the way to go.  I'd say I'm 90% sure at this time, but trying not to make a solid decision until I speak with a few more people.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 07:52:23 am »
good vibes... good vibes... good vibes...... :)

Since it is currently "small", you have time to do all of your homework and no one should be pressing you in one direction or another. You're already doing your homework, so do what it takes to make the best, well-informed decision you can for you and your particular, unique situation as each AN journey is unique unto itself.

Let us know how today goes! :)
Phyl