Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Need help, Doctors won't return my call  (Read 5391 times)

lauralynn

PLEASE READ: Need help, Doctors won't return my call
« on: October 20, 2009, 12:45:40 am »
Some of you may remember me and some of you may not.  I recently returned to work Oct. 6.  I was out of work for 5 months.  I felt I was ready to go back, well thought I could push myself to do it.  The first four days I didn't do much except deal with my eye that was so irritated by the air conditioning.  Well my eye adjusted and this past Wednesday I had to start taking phone calls (I work in a call center).  We take up to 100 calls per day.  After three hours of phone calls on Wednesday I noticed that my face felt more numb than it already was.  Then Thursday I did a full 8 hours on the phone and my face was number than ever and I was completely exhausted.  My face was exhausted too....I didn't want to talk anymore.  I went home so discouraged.  Before I went back to work (from being on medical leave) I could feel tingling around my left eye, a little in my left cheek and on and off a few times during the day I'd feel tingling in my upper and lower lip.  Ever since Wednesday, I pretty much feel nothing.  I called both my surgeons last Friday...neither were in the office.  Today I called both several times throughout the day.  I just want to know if this is a bad thing that is happening to me, should I not be talking so much, do I need to go back on leave of absence.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  I ended up going home sick on Friday coz I was so exhausted.  My energy level is a bit better but my face is still way number than it was.  My onocologist ordered an mri which I had done this past Saturday and that came back fine. By the way on Saturday after my mri I planned on taking a couple hours nap....I slept 17 hours!  Well hopefully Tuesday I will get some answers.  My supervisor was really nice and let me stay off the phone today...not sure about tomorrow.  I will keep you all posted.

Your AN Friend,

Laura Lynn
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: PLEASE READ: Need help, Doctors won't return my call
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:08:35 am »
Laura Lynn,
I am so sorry you are going through this.  It seems like you wanted to get back to your normal and nothing is cooperating.  It seems like to jumped in with both feet and maybe you need to step back and start with a toe or a foot first.  If your job will allow it, maybe you could start out with a few hours a day.  My daughter worked a call center for a couple of years and she hadn't undergone AN surgery and she was totally exhausted on a daily basis.  Four years and a few months later my face and ear and head (AN side only) is still numb, so I don't know why yours got number except that it is reacting to the stress and exhaustion you are feeling.  I hope you get some answers today.  I am keeping you in my prayers and sending positive energy and thoughts your way!

(((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))'s
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

suboo73

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:52 am »
Laura Lynn,

Hi there.  Hope you are feeling a little better today and are able to speak to your surgeons about your facial numbness.
I worked in a call center years ago, and i know it can be very stressful, even if it doesn't 'feel' like stress.  Maybe you can work 1/2 days, as Brenda suggested and then work your way up to full-time. 

You are a very brave person!  Hang in there and keep us updated.
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:48 am »
LauraLynn~
I am sorry that you are going thru this but I think it is just a combination of working while still trying to heal.  As is said over & over on here, the MAJOR factor in recovery is EXHAUSTION!  I returned after only 3 months (& a stroke) - I came home each day and fell into bed until the next morning.  I also had a job that required constant talking (& walking)...I was a 1st grade teacher!  The first week back, I did 1/2 days and then full days after that.  I (personally) don't think that you are doing any harm to your face - your body is just so exhausted that it doesn't have any "extra" energy to put towards the "healing/movement" of your face right now.  IMO (which is not worth much), you are going to have to soldier thru this period (unless you can go without working altogether) to work thru the tiredness...Hope you can get some answers from the REAL docs today and that today is better than yesterday...take a day at a time!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

another NY postie

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:20:00 am »
Lauralynn,
I wish I could give you a hug - I can feel the panic in your post.  I am still a new postie but from everything I was given and everything I have read, it sounds to me like your body is telling you that it is too much.  Many people here say that when they do too much or are exhausted, that their symptoms return or get worse.  I, too, hope your surgeons called you back (that is horrible in itself that they didn't get back to you).  I am hoping you can cut back on your work and ease yourself back in - 8 hours on the phone sounds exhausting.  And are people nasty/complaining on the phone?  Because that can be emotionally stressing and I actually got it in writing from the DR. that I need to avoid emotional stress as it is taxing on our brains.  Hang in there and listen to your body.  Keep us posted....
sending a virtual hug, Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:35 am »
Lauralynn,
  when I first started to work after my surgery... I would get home about 6'ish ... eat ... and go to bed !!! I could hardly walk I was so tired.... but I did it.. and it does get better.. SLOWLY.....

To start back in .. try to get fewer hours.. and I was also luckly I had my wife to drive me home after work... which we did for a few months ... you will have to push yourself... but not to hard... its a fine line between pushing yourself and over doing it...

I also noticed my face would droop and feel numb more after talking alot .. your facial muscles actually get tired too!!.. this to will pass....

dont give up!! work fewer hours and work your way up....

ps... today, I will spend all day out kayaking... so it does get better!! I actuall have more energy now than I have for years.... without that darn AN draging me down... but its taken time to get here!!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:19:26 am »
Laura,

The increase in numbness is probably due to muscle fatigue.  I know by the end of the day, my face is more numb and my speech seems more slurred, but by the morning, it's back to normal (my normal, anyway).

Brenda's idea sounds like a great one - maybe you can start out with just a few hours a day on the phones and gradually work you way back up.  Healing is a LONG process and the more fatigued you allow yourself to get, the longer it can be.

Hope you have a better day.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:34:50 am »
Laura
I agree with what the others have said. Even though you are probably ready to go back to work, you should ease in to it. Especially since you talk on the phone alot. I know that even now for me when I talk alot I am exhausted and my mouth feels tired. I know that you feel like after 5 months you should be recovered but it takes sooo long to increase your stamina. Hope this eases your anxiety and that you are feeling better!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:46:30 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

I'm sorry to learn of these setbacks you've experienced upon returning to work.  I hope your surgeons find the time to return your calls - but you may need to 'pester' their secretaries.  If so, do it, if only for your own peace of mind. 

I'm not a doctor and cannot offer you any real medical advice but I get the impression that the stress of working as a rep at a call center (my son is a call center supervisor) is inducing fatigue and affecting your facial nerve recovery as well as draining your physical strength and thus your body's healing resources.  Fortunately, as the MRI proved, no damage has been done.  If anything, I believe that the only thing you may have affected is your rate of recovery.  I suspect that you'll want to seriously consider reducing your workload to a part-time basis, perhaps 4 hours, 3 or 4 days a week, at first, until you can get your strength back.  Most call centers employ many part-time people, so this should not be a problem. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:45:51 am »
Hi Lauralynn

It sounds like you are overdoing it to me too.  I understand your need to get back to work and back to normal but most everyone here will tell you what you've already heard.   You need to take it slower than you are right now and the exhaustion and facial numbness is your body's way of telling you that.  Although some docs will tell you that it takes six to eight weeks to recover from AN surgery, according to my doc, 6  - 12 months for full recovery.   I would definitely see if working a few hours a day and slowly building up to a  normal day is a possibility.  I hope your docs have gotten back to you with some answers by now.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

joebloggs

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:14 am »
Hi Laura Lynn,

I returned to work 5 months after my surgery - and like you was absolutely exhausted to begin with.  My line manager said at first to do normal full days and see how I get on, but I noticed after the first couple that it wasn't really going to happen that way so I went on a phased return to work program... 5 hours a day for the first week, then 6 for the next, then 7 and then up to normal... it really helped me I think.  I didn't have any issues numbness wise but I did notice my balance wasn't as good and I think it was just the exhaustion.  I've been back at work almost 3 months now and I'm still tired - but no way near as much as I was in the first couple of weeks.  Give it some time - you will get back on your feet but your body is probably in shock at having to work for the first time in 5 months.  Anyone would struggle with that after 5 months off, let alone someone who's had surgery.

One day at a time

JB x
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

TP

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:12 am »
Laura Lynn: Having facial paralysis I think is one area that the Dr's don't seem to say much about. I had several issues after my AN was removed and returned to work after 3 months and it has been 3 1/2 years and there are times my face just flat out hurts. I work for a large IT company and stay on the phone majority of the day. I start my day very early and work late hours and bottom line that is what attributes to my facial pain. I have learned to live with it but frankly wish I could rest more. This is one area I struggle the most with in my recovery. I have considered looking into acupuncture but haven't had the time to call on a reputable Dr to see if they can help. Hang in there. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:31 pm »
Dear Laura,
I am sooooo sorry about all your troubles in returning to work. I hope and pray your supervisor will be compassionate and allow you to ease back into work part time!

Best,
Brenda
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

moe

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
Laura Lynn,
Lots of good responses and advice to your dilemma. It is truly amazing how our body responds to stress and you have it twice as bad.
I also hope and pray your boss understands and that you can financially afford to ease into your work.
My mouth/jaw aches when I talk too much and I don't even do that much talking! I would just rather smile and nod. Until I can get this face moving to my liking  that is the way it will be. Do you have facial paralysis to boot?
The  physical energy of trying to talk  and move the mouth is exhausting
The mental stress  of all this is another factor.
Hopefully you will have better days and it is nice to know that what you are experiencing is, unfortunately, normal :-\
Maybe some ibuprofen to help the muscle ache.
 Hang in there,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cathyW

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
Dear Laura
When I read your post it struck a cord with me, I to work in a call centre in the UK. With my company, as soon as I came back from sick leave I went to see the occupational health Doctor that is linked to the company I work for. I was advised to not go on the telephones for around 9 months and then this would be reviewed. I know I could not have gone on the phones anyway, as even on the phone at home after 10 minutes or so my face would hurt and tinnitus would buzz. They found me 'alterative' work. Two months ago I went back, and was advised that if I went back on the phones they would recommend I should go on the phones for 30% of the day, they also said I was still vulnerable and should not be exposed to, to much stress. Because if I became to stressed then I would be off sick again. I tried the phones and it was awful, I was so tired like you, and my face and head hurt, I was also very dizzy, my face tingles every now and then to.  Under the Disabled Discrimination Act in the UK the employer has to make 'reasonable adjustments'. So I was  placed into a job in another department with very little phone work, I also work shorter days. I feel so much less stressed and tired.
What I am trying to say is, I think it is a big thing to go back on the phones full time, and you need to discuss this with your employer. I do not know if you have  laws to protect you, I have been very lucky with my employer and I hope things improve for you.

cathy
x
1.5cm AN removed 19th August 2008. SSD, tinnitus, a little facial weakness after op that has almost gone 5 weeks post op.