Author Topic: An acoustic WHAT?????  (Read 6670 times)

Tamster

An acoustic WHAT?????
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:35:13 pm »
Hi everyone,
   I realized today that it's time for me to introduce myself to this group. I was fortunate to find this forum several weeks ago and have been spending a lot of time reading, researching and asking questions. I've PM'd several of you and have appreciated so much the wonderful response I've had from everyone I've contacted. This board is truly a wonderful resource and I'm looking forward to the day when I can be on the other side of surgery, trying to help someone else who has just found out that they have......... an acoustic neuroma. 
   Today I told one of my tennis buds about it and her response was ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Just made me laugh. Then when she wanted to know how they would operate and I explained that it required a craniotomy, you should have seen her face. I told her, "You know, I have gotten to this point in chunks, are you sure you want all the details at once?"  And she admitted to me, no, she didn't, so we switched the subject. It's a lot to take in. I'm glad I've finally told  a few of my friends though.
   I've gone through the grueling process of making a decision about how to deal with it. So at this point am just waiting for a surgery date from HEI with Dr. Brackmann.  I feel good about the decision and would love to do it sooner rather than later just in case any of my hearing can be salvaged.
    Enough for now.  Just wanted to thank you for this forum and for all of you who contribute to it, and to introduce myself to those of you I've not yet met.

Tammy
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

Lilan

Re: An acoustic WHAT?????
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:42:10 pm »
Tammy, welcome and great luck. Dr. Brackmann was poking around my brain with metal tools just months ago and I'm doing great. It's a pretty surreal experience for you, your friends and your family. But if you can just look a few months out, you'll be surprised how quickly it goes.

Feel free to ask questions as you go.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 01:55:58 pm »
Welcome from Texas, Tammy!  We are glad that you found us...no one wants to be here, but if you have an AN - this is the place to be.  You won't find a better more caring place!

Hope you get your date soon!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:15:41 pm »
Hello Tammy!

I'm also pretty new to all of this.  I know exactly what you mean about how awkward it can be telling friends and family.  I never know quite where to begin, although I think it is getting a little bit easier. 

Feel free to PM me if you want a "tumor buddy" (icky name?) who is going through this at the same time.  Best of luck and it is a pleasure to meet you, although I wish it had been through a more pleasant shared experience.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »
welcome Tammy to our unique family of ANers...
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:33:34 pm »
HI Tammy,
  Happy you have made the decision.  For a while there though maybe we'd be at the U at the same time.  Hope House can get you in soon.  Stay in touch.  call anytime, I'm only 15 min away

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »
Hi, Tammy ~ 

Welcome!  It's good to see you make your 'debut' on the forum after corresponding with you via PM.  I just wanted you know that as a member of our rather unique group, you're both welcomed and appreciated.  You're also correct in your desire to get this experience behind you so that you can move on with your life.  Making your AN and surgery known to friends in increments seems to be a good idea, considering the reaction your tennis buddy gave you ("ewwwwwwwww").    HEI is well-respected, as is the venerable Dr. Brackmann.  I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »
I've gone through the grueling process of making a decision about how to deal with it. So at this point am just waiting for a surgery date from HEI with Dr. Brackmann.  I feel good about the decision and would love to do it sooner rather than later just in case any of my hearing can be salvaged.  
Tammy - welcome to the club.  Congratulations on making your decision, it is grueling indeed.  I am heading to California in 8 days for a surgical appointment with Dr. Brackmann on November 4th.  Please let us know when you get your surgery date and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.  There are quite a few "Brackmann" graduates around here.

- Dennis
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:26:12 pm by DR »
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

cindyj

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:13:17 pm »
Hi, Tammy!  Here's another welcome...what part of the country are you in?  I see you play tennis!  I just walked in the door from a match with my husband...I'm almost one year post op, but was back on the courts about 8 weeks post op.  Sure you'll be back out there soon also.  I had surgery at House also (Dr. Friedman).  You'll be in very good hands.  Let us know if you have any questions about traveling for surgery (I assume you'll be traveling).

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:25:03 pm »
Hi, Tammy.

Welcome to the Forum  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »
Hi, just want to welcome you to our group and wish you luck. We are all here for you.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »
Hi Tammy,

I lurked around this site for quite awhile before I actually posted.  I LOVE this site and how nice & positive people are.

Telling people isn't the easiest thing.  My surgery is in 2 weeks and yesterday a relative was shocked to hear I might be in the hospital about 5 days.....she said, gee "I thought it was just a little tumor"...............DUH....it's still brain surgery!!   I think some people just don't get it.      THat is why this site is SO nice...........EVERYONE here does get it!

Best wishes!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

another NY postie

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 06:07:56 am »
Hi, Tammy,
I know we pm'd but just wanted to welcome you and wish you well on this journey that we all are taking together!  You are in such good hands with Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz! :D  The HEI really have it down to a science for those of us who travel to see them.  Once you get a date and as we get closer, pm me and other House alumni and we can let you know how it works with Seton Hall, etc.  and what you need to bring...

Cheryl

5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 10:46:07 am »
Dr Brackmann did my surgery last november.  He was great!!  Good luck with everything.

Vonda

wendysig

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:49 am »
Hi Tammy,

I just wanted to welcome you to our wonderful group.  It seems you've done most of the hard work already by coming to a decision regarding treatment and choosing your surgeons.  Feel free to ask any questions, vent or join in the occasional hilarity that goes on here.  We are here for you.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!