Author Topic: WHO study linking cell phone/brain tumor mentions AN  (Read 6762 times)

another NY postie

WHO study linking cell phone/brain tumor mentions AN
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »
I had heard that there was a recent study the linked brain tumors to cell phone use in US.  (When I was researching this summer I only found an Australian and Swedish published study).  I was googling to find this recent study and I discovered that in the last couple of days, there was an annoucement that World Health Organization is going to publish a comprehensive international study that shows correlation between cell phone usage and tumors.  This will apparently include ANs and will come out soon.

http://www.physorg.com/news175853675.html

Interesting....

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:26:22 pm by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: WHO study linking cell phone/brain tumor mentions AN
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:45 am »
The link between cell phone usage and brain tumors has long been debated - and usually no connection can be found.

From the experiences noted by those of us on the forum, it seems like most of us don't buy into the theory - but you never know; we could be wrong.

It will be interesting to see what the results show, but as for me, I'm still going with the fish hatchery theory.   :D  LOL

Here's one of my favorite threads that most newbies probably haven't found yet.  It's a few pages long, but well worth the read.  Enjoy!

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6970.0

Jan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:49:55 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

another NY postie

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:36 am »
Yes, I know it is contraversial, but it is buzzing right now in press.  This was a 30 million $$ study.  It was written up all over the place, announcing  findings are coming including in most NY papers so we should all hear about it soon.  I also found this recent link that is disputing old studies and one to come out by European Union.  Very interesting about France and their aggressive approach in light of recent research.  This British group keeps getting prominent world scientists signing on to it and it mentions ANs quite a bit.  All of them say more than 10 years of use and the big concern now is children who are getting cell phones so young.  Time will tell as you say....and of course, we will never be able to say for sure...chicken and egg...

http://www.radiationresearch.org/pdfs/15reasons.asp

(I read the US report)...found France's approach very interesting too...just food for thought...

Mickey

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:37 am »
I believe in this possibility, along with many others. To me any irritant to the cells over a period of time will cause abnormal growth. I`m also wondering about to many dental xrays over long periods of time. Good Luck, Mickey

Sam Rush

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
I agree with too many dental x-rays. My dentist wants to do routine x-rays every  6 months, and I refuse. Every 2 yrs seems more reasonable, unless there is a problem.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:15:01 pm »
I've commented numerous times on the 'cell phone theory' - to sum it up: I don't buy it.  Not only are cell phones just a bit too convenient as the culprit but ANs were around long before cell phones were evn thought of.  In my case, I never owned a cell phone and used my wife's on just a few occasions prior to my AN diagnosis.  Of course, as Jan aptly stated, skeptics like me could be proven wrong - but I doubt it.  However, the studies are interesting.  Still, 'studies' can be skewed, just as polls can be skewed.  Frankly, the cell phone - AN issue is inconsequential to me as my AN has been debulked and radiated - and I still only rarely use a cell phone.  That noted, I'm as curious as the next person to learn the cause of tumor growth on the acoustic nerve sheath.  I doubt it has much to do with the ultra-low-power radio waves emitted by cell phones, but I would like to see that ruled in or out so science can get on with seeking the cause of these abnormal growths and, one hopes, prevent future generations from having to deal with acoustic neuromas. 

Jim      
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 01:32:39 pm »
I agree with Mr. Scott -- unfounded convenient arguments presented by self-serving special interest groups.

;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

juliec

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:15:43 pm »
I don't buy the cell phone/AN link either. It just doesn't calculate for me. I got my cell phone in 1998. My AN was 1.8cm. If they grow 1-2mm per year, and it really is due to the cell phone use (which I've not really used that much and mostly used with a headset), then I probably got the AN right away after getting my cell phone and it grew at nearly the max every year. Why then don't the other millions of people using cell phones also get ANs? It just doesn't make sense to me. And then like Jim said, ANs have been around a lot longer than cell phones. For all we know, we're just finding more of them because of better technology. Perhaps the same percentage of people had them when they died of an unrelated cause (usually at an earlier age) and never knew they even had an AN. Perhaps. We just don't know. I would sure like to know, though.
Julie C.
Bloomington, MN
1.8 x 1 cm Middle Fossa surgery Univ of IA 8/13/09

wcrimi

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »
I have a tough time trusting any of these studies.

There are manufacturers, sales stores, and others that have a vested interest in showing there is not a linkage and there are trial lawyers salvating over the deep pockets they can pick. 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

rezski

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:00:44 am »
Even though my AN was diagnosed in 2005 my symptoms go back to the early 90's which was long before  I got a cell phone.  They also find many undiagnosed  small AN's at autopsy when they need to look in that area. How many tiny ones are never seen and what is the actual incidence in the population?  Then they would have to compare populations with and without x-ray or cell phone exposure.  A massive undertaking for sure.
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

another NY postie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:23:54 pm »
I don't think they are trying to tie cell phones to all ANs or other brain tumors...as you said they have been around for many years before cell phones.  I think they are trying to see why there has been an increase in brain tumors of which AN was one type of tumor studied.  It is similiar to the autism debate and any other medical condition where there is an increase in diagnosis...it it better detection - for us MRIs - that catch them early or is it environmental.  We will probably never know for sure but it is food for thought.  The part about children, developing brains and early use of cell phones concerns me the most as I have young children...I agree there is an argument for both sides and both sides have an invested interest...time will tell on this one at some point.

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 04:41:36 pm »
well since i never used a cell phone, still maybe 1 or 2 tiemsa month, and i got an AN  i'm doubtful . but hey this old Commical Engineer will look at the data when and if it comes out in a readable form.

there are solutions though, thats whats important to me. and all in all the whole process of this AN removal has gone wonderfully. some minor crud from time to time, but all in all, not bad.

welcome in by the way.
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

robynabc

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 06:30:22 pm »
I am with Jim on this.  It does not make sense.  Acoustic Neuromas have been around forever.    They should stop with the cell phone thing and look for real answers.  I heard something about head injuries being  a factor.  Now that makes more sense.  My son had a HUGE AN and he was 18 when DXd. According to stats he was not supposed to get an AN. 15% are over 4.0 and fast majority are in the 30-60 age range. 

We talked about he cell phone thing and it did not make sense.  But he did have a serious head injury when he was ten.  He hit a wall sledding.  He has had astma his whole life  and had sinus surgery partially from the allergies and partially from breaking his nose in the head injury incident.  When we heard that we thought maybe that is why he ended up with it prematurely.  But it is obvious that there doesn't seem to be too much research yet.  Once they get serious about the research,  then maybe we will get some answers.  This cell phone thing just seems to be a drama thing for the media.  In my humble opinion. 

Kind Regards,

Robyn
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:39:03 pm by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »
Cheryl,

Thanks for the information.  Although I don't think my AN was caused by cell phone use because I don't and never have used my cell phone with any real amount of regularity and when I do, I'm never on more than five minutes tops.   I've often  wondered if there was a link between cell phone use/radiation and brain tumors.  I also worry since my kids both have cell phones and am trying to convince my husband that letting them text is a much better idea.  He's afraid they'll walk in front of a car while their texting (not all together unrealistic either) but in my opinion, a better alternative to holding a cell phone less than an inch from their brains.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:56 am »
I saw a promo for Dr Oz that today he's going to be talking about the cell phone / brain tumor thing.

I personally don't think much of his show, but may watch if I'm around just to see what they try to say and if they talk about ANs.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy