Author Topic: Finally! Help with my BP100!  (Read 2519 times)

Sefra22

Finally! Help with my BP100!
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:09:22 pm »
I got a call today from Abby (my audiologist). She told me that the Cochlear rep was coming up on Tues., and asked if I would like to come in and consult with her.

I have not been happy with the BP100, since I got it. I have been back to have it programmed several times. It always seems to be okay when I leave the office, but the next day there's either chirping, static, or volume issues. :'(

Here's hoping the Cochlear rep. can fix it!

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Finally! Help with my BP100!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:03:33 am »
Lisa -

I'm so glad you're finally going to get the help you deserve.  I continue to be puzzled by the problems you're having with the BP100.  I also feel a little guilty because I and others on the forum encouraged you to get a BAHA.  It was done in good faith though - I haven't had any troubles whatsover with my Divino and I've had it about 19 months.   

I'll be very interested to see what the Cochlear rep tells you and whether she can solve the problems.  I also wonder if she will tell you if others are having problems similar to yours.  So, please post an update to the situation next week after your meeting.

On another note, I am going to demo both the BP100 and the new Ponto Pro by Oticon sometime next month at my neurolotogist's office.  I'm very anxious to compare the two devices and see what they can do.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:53:31 am »
Don't feel guilty Jan! You've been so supportive and helpful!

This is new product, and with that, there are always "bugs" to work out. I am used to this as I am always testing new stuff at work, tweaking and giving feedback before things get rolled out company wide.

While I may not be happy right now with the extra noises, I am happy that I can hear! It does work in that sense.

I remain positive that it will all work out.....

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »
Lisa -

your attitude is great  ;D  I don't know if I'd have the patience for all the issues you've been going through with this device.

I'm glad it hasn't turned you off completely.  I'm hopeful that once the bugs are gone, things will be so much better.  Keep us posted.

When I go for my demos, I'm going to ask my doc (if I see him) and the audiologist if any of their patients who got the BP100 have had problems.

I'd ask about problems and the Ponto also, but I'm not sure they have patients who have Pontos yet.  It was just released in October (not sure what date).

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:08:52 pm »
Things are looking up! Today the Cochlear rep was with Abby for my appointment for programming. She had come up to do some more training with Abby this morning. She asked me questions about the problems I was having. It seems some of my issues were based on a "connectivity" problem with the BP100 to the Cochlear program. (She fixed that before I got there. It may have been an in-house problem with the systems in the office.)

One thing they did today was a "Bone conduction" test. This involved me wearing the BAHA while it was attached to the computer. Abby would send different tones directly to the BAHA to see if I could hear them. Apparently, this is more informative to how it's working than the regular test she gave me last time in the "booth".

Watching Abby with the rep made appreciate the training she had to have. I was in the room while the rep showed her how to better use the program, and pointed out some mistakes that were made in my programming. For example, the program defaults to 2 BAHA's, so the audiologist has to choose the side, otherwise it thinks you have one on both sides.....no wonder!

Like I said before, this is trailblazing. Abby will now be much better prepared for the next patient she has with a BP100. So far, I am her only one.

I still heard a wee bit of occasional whistling today, but it is much better than it was.

Lisa
Diagnosed June 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:44 pm »
Sounds like a very postive meeting with the Cochlear rep, Lisa.

I'm very glad to hear things are getting sorted out!

Many thanks for being a trailblazer.  Those of us who will follow you are truly grateful.

Jan

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:02:09 am »
Hi Lisa, was it Ginger she is nice sorry you have been having problems mine was resolved but started having a little static in the new one. This is my 3 one.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09