Author Topic: First MRI Since Surgery  (Read 5431 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
First MRI Since Surgery
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:49 am »
Well, I survived my first MRI since my surgery was performed back on July 30th, 2009.  I won't know the results until my appointment with the Neurosurgeon on November 30th...but from the look on the techs face who ran the MRI, everything is fine.  He's the same guy who couldn't help but tell me just from the expression on his face that I had an AN to begin with.  I'll let you know how this plays out.  I get my exterior stick-on weight tomorrow...woohoo!

Thanks!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jackie

Re: First MRI Since Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:20 am »
Hey DoctorB,

Glad that you survived your MRI post-op! Now here's praying for great results!! Anxious to hear from you on that!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
Doc .....

Sounds like you are probably right on your interpretation of the tech's face.  It always amuses me when they say "You will just have to wait for your doctor to receive the report." when asked about what they could tell.  As you have discovered, many of the techs have difficulty concealing what they saw ..... at least by the way they treat you.

Good luck and let us know what it showed.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:54 pm »

My first MRI .. (the one that "discovered" my 4cm AN) I knew something bad was up...

I walked in and the tech treated me like anyone "normal" person .... after the MRI ... I was treated completely different...

He actually asked me if I needed to rest before I left.. I could stay in the office as long as I needed , as he sat me down like I had two broken legs....

"rest" ????? I just took a 40 min. nap in your MRI machine... why do I need to rest ???? I grabed my stuff (the metal things I took off) and left...

I never did look at my MRI -- until the doctors ofice a week later.... I knew then why I was treated with kid gloves....

"and now you know the rest of the story" ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:33 pm »
well, Doc, you survived the visit to the Tube o' Gloom... and hoping tomorrow is a good one.  Hang in there.... give Fred belly rubs... doctor's orders :)

Dr. Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Doc

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for the kind words of support and affirmation...we all have learned over time that MRI Techs make poor Poker Players...lets hope we're right on this one!  I won't lose any sleep waiting on the results, thats for sure...now if I can only stop losing my balance and falling down like I do from time to time everything will be good.

Thanks again!
  ;)
Doc

Hey Dr. Phyl, look here, Freddie the Wonder Pug is an Internet Celebrity: http://leavingandloving.blogspot.com/2009/10/pug-friday-all-dressed-up-edition-3.html

Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:49 pm »
Oh no, the Neurosurgeons office just called...they've moved up my appointment from November 30th to this Friday morning the 13th...ain't that great, I get to have my first MRI since surgery read on Friday the 13th...good thing I'm not superstitious...hope that works!?!

Doc

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 12:56:58 pm »
Doc .....

Maybe this is your good-luck charm!  Never was superstitious about 13 so look at it this way, you will know 2 weeks sooner and hopefully the report is good and you can relax two weeks sooner.

Thoughts and prayers continue.

Clarice

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:41:26 pm »
Doc ~

I'm not superstitious so I'm sure the MRI scan follow-up consultation will prove uneventful and your doctor will simply congratulate you on your good recovery. 
Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Doc

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:47:52 am »
I was in to see the Neurosurgeon this morning and, well, not the news I was hoping for. According to the Doctor, the portion of the Tumor left behind is showing signs of new growth since surgery; two or three percent.  He didn't detail that much further and suggested I would definitely need CK on an accelerated schedule than previously planned to ensure the Tumor does not grow back to its former size, indicating regrowth is more likely than not based on what the MRI revealed.  I'm waiting on a phone call regarding an appointment to see the same Radiation Oncologist I saw before surgery.  The Tumor mass that was left behind is on my Brain Stem which is still skewed from the pressure. The area that was once occupied by Tumor is healing nicely, the only good news I've gotten so far today!  I can't wait for the Cash Three drawing this evening, maybe my luck will change by than!

Take Care!
 :-\
Doc

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
Doc .....

Well I know it was not what you were hoping for, but it was not unexpected in that you knew radiation was going to be the next step.  It sounds like it will be moved up a month or so because of possible regrowth.  Look at it this way, the radiation will be done sooner and then you will be on to complete recovery sooner.

Good luck on the Cash Three drawing tonight .....   :o  You know you have to share your winnings with us!!   :o ;D :o

Clarice

Doc

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:49:04 pm »
Thanks Clarice, if I hit it big on the Cash Three, lunch is on me; no pun intended, because it usually is, down the front of my shirt...ha!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Jackie

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:40 pm »
Hello Doc,

Sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for, BUT the good news is you did know you were going to have the balance of the tumor Radiated and so that's no shock! Good that your date is being moved up to get the rest of that intruder's lifeline cut off and ended, never to be heard from again! Yes, hopefully you'll follow in Mr. Scotts' path and lead a good life too! Sending you Blessings,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 04:24:13 pm »
Doc ~

I'm sorry to learn that the tumor is growing but at least your doctor already had a (radiation) plan in place, he just moved up the timetable.  For what it's worth, I can offer you my experience of a partial tumor resection ('debulking') with follow-up (90 days later) radiation (FSR) that was eminently successful, as I'm sure yours will be. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 04:47:13 pm »
Dear Freddie the Wonderpug,

Aye, yer Pa will be just fine, aye, I knows it deep in me bones!!  When yer out a' walkin' 'im just make sure to keep a straight line--we don't want him a' heelin' over and a' fallin' inter the gutter! It be fine that the trip to the Big Zapper be moved up--the sooner the better, I sez!!

AAARRRRRR! A fair wind and following seas to ye both,

Capt Deb and Sadie the Pirate Pup
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW