Author Topic: death by choking?  (Read 9573 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: death by choking?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 07:34:43 am »
I think your doctor may have a very insensitive sense of humor. Ironically I find it funny that there's a practicing physician that's actually dumb enough to make a comment like that. My advice. Get another doctor.
Mike

I have to comment on this...the idea that all physicians have, or should have, a great 'bedside manner' is a myth. While I can not quote stats my life experience tells me that many many doctors just don't. When it comes to bad news many docs really fail to rise to the task. This doesn't mean they're bad doctors, it just means that they are weak at this part of their job. I have spoken to numerous folks, from friends who had family members die unexpectedly, to medical professionals who have seen docs deliver the 'bad news' in a terrible manner many times. My point is that we think that all docs are like the TV docs we have seen over the years but in fact they are just people who have strengths and weaknesses just like the rest of us. You can't judge a doctor just on one aspect of their job performance.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 07:50:14 am »
Hi Lynn & Welcome to this wonderful group of people.  I had my surgery almost 14 years ago (when I was 25) so I know what a wonderful thing it is to find something like this after all of these years!!  I did have swallowing issues after my surgery (which is not too common but I also had a stroke) - I remember one incident in particular b/c my sweet hubby still gets nervous when I eat Angel Hair pasta.  We were at Macaroni Grill and I had a dish with AH pasta & some of it "slid" down the paralyzed side & I didn't know it, it was a pretty bad scene...However with time, things have gotten MUCH better.  I will say that I don't have NEAR as many problems since I have had my thyroid out.  Our preacher's wife at church is the only person who knew what I was talking about when I said it felt like that side of my throat didn't really work.  She has not had an AN but had a throat injury when she was little and she felt the same way...until she had her thyroid out!  Just a thought...
I certainly have never heard or feared of actually choking to death - I have NEVER heard of that either!
Hope you find some answers soon!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 02:42:39 pm »
Hi Lynn.

Sorry I'm a little late in welcoming you to our group.  I'm also sorry to hear you're having problems swallowing.  I've never heard of anyone chocking to death as a result of an AN, although I know some people do have post treatment swallowing issues.  Your doc really should have explained what he was talking about if there is any validity to that at all, which I somehow doubt,based on what I've read here. 

You should continue to pursue a diagnosis  for your problems and hopefully, a cure.  Just because no one has come up with an answer doesn't mean someone won't,.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

robynabc

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:55 pm »
That was a very insensitive thing to say.  My son has choking problems and it is terrifying when it is so bad that he can't breath for a moment.  I always feel like I should call the ambulance when it happens but I always have to wait and see if he can get through it.  This has me very nervous now.  I never know what to do when this happens to him.  I shake for about a half an hour after the really bad ones.  And now I am really scared. 

I would like to know what he meant by that.  The throat problem is usually a rare complication so what the heck did he mean by that.  If is was a joke it is not funny.

I will say our surgeon has the worst beside manor ever.  He scared us every step of the way.   But he is a gifted surgeon. 

I would like to know if he was serious. 
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Lilan

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 07:06:02 pm »
I would not overworry about this. It sounds like the question was rather theoretical and referred to the end of a "long life," and we don't know exactly what was in the doctor's mind or what kind of scenario he was referring to. If anyone has an actual swallowing issue, talk to your own doctor. If not, don't read too much into this!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

martinswife

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:39 am »
my husband is 5 years post-op and is starting to have trouble swallowing certain things - especially bread. I know a small portion of the tumor was left because it involved the nerves that controlled swallowing. when it happens it is quite scary. Dr. said hopefully the muscles and nerves on the other side of the throut would gradually take over, but it seems like its getting worse. any ideas?

robynabc

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 07:16:08 pm »
my husband is 5 years post-op and is starting to have trouble swallowing certain things - especially bread. I know a small portion of the tumor was left because it involved the nerves that controlled swallowing. when it happens it is quite scary. Dr. said hopefully the muscles and nerves on the other side of the throut would gradually take over, but it seems like its getting worse. any ideas?

Eric has this issue alot.  He just went through 4 days of constant speeches for school and had a very hard time.  I would go see your doctor and start with that.  Eric has paralyzed vocal cord and the other one did compensate but he feels the nerve.  The other vocal cord compensated but that does not mean that it will compensate for swallowing,  at least it didn't for Eric.  I don't know if that helps but good ENTs are not easy to find here and i have not been very happy with the explanations we get.

Kind Regards,

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 12:05:52 pm »
Hi Lynn and Welcome!
I cannot imagine having to endure an AN without our wee support group.
I am interested to follow your thread as this is news to me about choking.
I do know that my tumour was attached to my swallowing nerve but came away easily.
Take care we are here for you!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Rc Moser

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 05:45:29 pm »
I'm no doctor either, but I have read alot and understand the functions of the 12 cranial nerves. Course each AN tumor is different and each operation can cause different problems from chemistry or method of removal by man or equipment.  I have swallowing and occasionally choking problems also, I relate it to left side facial nerve damage due to no lift on my left side which IMO includes the inside of my mouth and probably affects the throat also. Though looking at me you probably can't tell I have a facial nerve problem till I laugh, smile or frown, or try to whistle. I have observed myself in the mirror and the only signs with a normal expression are left eye lid droops alittle, no wriggles on my left side of my forehead or face. Mouth is crooked when I open wide and will only show have my teeth (right side).  The XI and XII nerves can be damaged during the removal of an AN and can be weaken by the stretching of the nerve from what I have read. So I can see where some of us AN'er have swallowing issues. I am proof of that.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.