Author Topic: Debi 3rd week of recovery  (Read 4048 times)

ghenier27

Debi 3rd week of recovery
« on: November 11, 2009, 05:04:05 am »
Wow, I got my staphes removed last week. And yes, I did let the doctor know that I was driving by myself and going places. They just asked for me to turn my head from side to side and said ok. I also noticing that I am not needing my 1/4 tablet of pain meds anymore, unless I get into a uncomfortable while sleeping. Or like the other day, I had my first MRI and the thing where I had to place my head to was not comfortable. When I got home, I had to take one. I am also walking 4 blocks twice a day as well as doing stuff inside the house and cooking meals. My friends are amazed by my progress. I do still get tired but not enough to sleep. And I see the doctors again on the 17th to get the results of the MRI. I will continued to let everyone know how I am doing. Debi

tenai98

Re: Debi 3rd week of recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 06:41:12 am »
That is awesome Deb
keep trucking forward
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:52:19 am »
You are amazing, Debi!!!  I think you are such an inspiration to those of us who have not yet had our procedures.  What a success story.   :)

I am so glad to hear that you are (mostly) comfortable.  Looking forward to the results of that MRI.  I'm sure everything is great.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:45 am »
Fantastic news Debi!  No pain meds + driving yourself = huge steps forward.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:15:57 pm »
Sounding really good!  It will just keep getting better and better now.  I remember my friends being so surprised at how well I seemed...in fact, my husband told me I really needed to look and act a bit more pitiful or they would stop bringing us food ;)

Keep up the good work,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:27:50 pm »
Hi, Debi ~

Congratulations on a splendid recovery!  I had a similar experience, i.e. driving, walking, etc within a few weeks of surgery.  If my experience is any indication at all, you'll be just about back to normal (a relative term in the case of AN patients) within a few more weeks, although you'll probably have a few lingering reminders of the AN and/or the surgery.  The fatigue will lessen but you may not regain 100% of your former stamina quotient.  I didn't, but then, I'm a lot older than you (and almost everyone else, it seems).  ;)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:05:42 pm »
Hello and congratulations on your post op progress. I am six weeks post up and a bit behind you progress wise. Everyone's recovery is different. Good for you! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:07:55 pm »
Yay, you sound so great Debi!  So glad to hear it!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:29:44 pm »
Debi

what can I say that I haven't said already? :) Well done!  "day by day, inch by inch...." and boy oh boy, what a recovery!  Continued wellness wishes and healing hugglez.... and hang tough, m'dear! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:10:04 pm »
Awesome, Debi - and thanks for posting about your recovery.  This will be very reassuring to those who are facing surgery.  Even though everyone's recovery is different, it is always so good to hear about those who have especially good recoveries.  Keep doing what you are doing!

Debbi (two "b"s)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:43:44 am »
debi,

It sounds like you are having an amazing recovery -- YAY!!  Just remember not to overdo things or your body will remind you that you are still healing from surgery by knocking you on your butt.   ;) 

I started driving short distances at two weeks post-op but you seem to have me beat. 

Wishing you a continued speedy recovery with no complications!
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!