Author Topic: Fatigue  (Read 3716 times)

ghenier27

Fatigue
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:03:45 am »
As all of you know I am doing just wonderful since my surgery with no complaints of headaches, dizzyness. The thing I am wondering most about is the fatigue? While I am doing everything but lifting my daughter and leading a pretty normal life, I still get tired during the late aftenoon but not enought to fall asleep. And I do realize that today is the begining of my 4th week of recovery. My question to all of you is, when did you get rid of the fatigue? Thanks, Debi

mandy721

Re: Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
Debi,
My husband's started making it through the day without napping at week 8.  He was still tired, but managed to stay awake all day! That was a huge milestone. 
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
Hey Debi! :-*  I'm just thrilled with your progress and you KNOW I'm following along VERY carefully.

Going to share this thread with you:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10572.0

"Brain Tumor and Fatigue Brochure", written by Dr. Peter Black (Brigham Woman's) and Nancy Conn-Levin. How all types of BT's affect patients and ways to counteract it. Been posted on the forums for a while and many have noted it has helped. So, now sharing you with as well.

Hang tough, m'dear!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »
Oooh, thanks for that, Phyl.  I'm printing that out and making my husband read it.  He has no patience for my fatigue and can't seem to understand how a brain tumor can make someone feel exhausted all of the time.  HA to him!  There are doctors who say I am NOT making it up!   :D

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

moe

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:12:58 pm »
Fatigue....ZZZZZzzzzzzz
Different for everyone. I've always been a tired person before surgery, so my fatigue was worse after surgery for months. But I am still fatigued now. I have always needed my mid day rest/nap and will continue for life!
So I'd say-everyone is different. A few months to forever. :o
My symptoms of tinnitus/deafness make it crucial for me to tone out all external stimulus for a  short period in the day, so that is probably the main reason/excuse for my fatigue. Very emotionally draining to do all you have to do, with all those noises and envioronments coming at you.
My favorite time of day: NAP time! It is  what it is. My new favorite saying:)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 03:43:40 pm »
Debi ~

I'll be uncharacteristically brief here and simply mention that total recovery from brain surgery usually is measured in months, not weeks.  Fatigue is your body's way of telling you that it's working furiously to heal from the intrusion it suffered and doesn't have the resources to keep you going at the same energy level you once had.  Regaining your normal energy level may be the last step in the healing process and, to be frank, it's possible that you may not see exactly the same level of stamina you once enjoyed, although that seems to be different for everyone.  I never regained 100% of my previous stamina level - but I'm ancient and not a realistic comparison to younger folks, who often have better recuperative powers.  

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »
I am five months out and starting to feel a lot better energywise. Still seeing improvements. There are leaps of improvement till 6-8 weeks, I found, then gradual improvements after that. I still feel like I'm improving a lot -- now it's little things like being able to comfortably sleep on surgery side (yeah!!), and taste seemingly returning to left side of tongue -- and energy level definitely on the rise. I am noticing this in subtle ways -- just that I'm more excited about planning outings and activities and commitments!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:23:25 am »
Hey Debi! :-*  I'm just thrilled with your progress and you KNOW I'm following along VERY carefully.

Going to share this thread with you:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10572.0

"Brain Tumor and Fatigue Brochure", written by Dr. Peter Black (Brigham Woman's) and Nancy Conn-Levin. How all types of BT's affect patients and ways to counteract it. Been posted on the forums for a while and many have noted it has helped. So, now sharing you with as well.

Hang tough, m'dear!
Phyl
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:42:07 am »
Debi .....

Oh, this fatigue!  Ditto to what the others have said.  I still fight it, although not as frequently as before, and it is 20 months out for me now!  Don't forget in addition to the trauma to the brain itself, you are now expending much more energy than before to find your new sense of balance ..... and that is not something conscious but it is working whenever you are walking/moving ..... and with the care of your daughter you are moving a great deal!  Be kind to yourself ....   :-*

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:12:16 am »
Debi -

the fatigue following AN surgery is phenomenal - I couldn't believe how huge it was or how long it lasted.

Keep in mind that your body has gone through major surgery, things were obviously stressful, and, if you were like most of us, you were under anesthesia for several hours.

I remember coming home after my hospital stay, taking a shower, and instantly needing a nap  ::)

Rest assured (no pun intended) that things will improve as time goes on.  You aren't that far post op.  All of us are different, but my fatigue lasted for months - and that's perfectly normal.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:18:41 am »
Debi - you are not alone.  IMO I am doing extremely well, especially considering its only been 2 weeks, but I still get slammed by fatigue in the afternoon.  Usually around 3:00pm for some reason.  If I have been very active it sometimes hits earlier.  Thankfully a 20-30 min siesta is enough to recharge my batteries.
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."