Author Topic: If its not one thing its another...  (Read 10873 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
If its not one thing its another...
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:47:04 pm »
Not AN related, butI am a member of the AN  community.  I had abdominal pains last night about 11 PM.  Got the shakes at midnight:30 and headed off to the OR.  Long story short, I have said goodbye to my appendix.

Surgery was at 8 AM this morning so hoping to get out of here shortly.  And for those who remember, yes, I am posting on the pink laptop! :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Kathy M

• Kathy
Re: If its not one thing its another...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:16:57 pm »
My gosh, Ernie! I should think what you have been through with the AN is quite enough....but too bad we aren't in control!  Sounds like you knew when to get to the hospital and didn't delay.  And it appears that you are in typical Ernie-style good spirits.  I hope your recovery is swift!!  Now enough side trips and stay out of the hospital for a while!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:13:24 pm »
Sorry to hear that Ernie.  What a P.I.T.A.!!!

Believe it or not, my husband and I used an appendix removal as an example of something that would have put us over the edge a few months ago.  The scenario was this: Hubby had a lobectomy (removal of top 1/3 of his right lung) for lung cancer in November of last year.  Come February of this year, I found out about my AN.  But we were already so worn out from dealing with his fresh surgery, that we used to say "Even finding out one of us would need our appendix removed would have completely floored us after dealing with the lung cancer-but BRAIN SURGERY??".  Too much.

And you got both.  Poor you.

Hope you're up and around soon, and feeling much better for a very long time!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:51:28 pm »
Hi Ernie,

Sorry to hear that you needed an appendectomy. I guess your appendix found out about your AN and got jealous.   ;)  Enough is enough get well soon!

Sending wellness wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:14:11 pm »
Oh my gosh, Ernie!  It's always something.

Did you have a fat graft with your AN surgery?  

When I read appendix it brought back memories of my AN surgery.  My docs told me they take the fat out of the left side of the abdomen so no one mistakes the scar for an appendectomy scar.  Do both sides of your abdomen match now?

Hope you recover swiftly!

Jan
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:31:02 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »
Jan, my appendectomy scar is on the right side.

Ernie, maybe our appendices are having a party on the specimen shelf.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:32:14 pm »
Sara -

thanks for correcting me!  You are absolutely right; appendixes are on the right side of the body.  Good thing I'm an accountant and not a doctor!  LOL

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:20 pm »
Hi Ernie,
Sorry to hear about your little surprise surgery, but good to hear from you!
How are things going with your AN progress? At least the appy was just a little speed bump in the road, not a BIG BUMP
Hope you are taking good care of yourself....
Maureen ;)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:39:46 am »
Acoustic neuroma and Appendicitis - I think you should be done with the A's now, Ernie. Move on to the B's.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 05:54:44 am »
Ernie,
I agree with Steve, enough of the A's!!  Here is wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 06:57:58 am »
Sara -

thanks for correcting me!  You are absolutely right; appendixes are on the right side of the body.  Good thing I'm an accountant and not a doctor!  LOL

Jan

Jan, I assumed that your doctor had told you wrong. In fact, I was thinking to put in some cheeky remark about  where your doctor went to med school, or what was his class rank, but decided not too because it seemed mean and the poor guy isn't even here to defend himself.

Besides I think it's great that someone is even thinking about potential future problems that a little scar could cause. I wouldn't have thought about mistaking it for an appendectomy scar. God bless the medical profession.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:58 am »
No cheeky remark necessary  ;D  My doc's one of the best.  I just forgot to check my abdomen for the scar before I posted.  Shame on me!  :P

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:55 am »
Thanks for all the support guys (and gals).  Steve, move on to the B's?  Wouldn't that involve the brain?  I'd like to stay an "A" student, if you don't mind :).

I'm in good spirits, but I will say this.  I have more post-surgical pain now than I did with my AN (not including the headaches I get now).  They really messed up my throat with the tube this time.  I choke just trying to swallow water.  The surgical site is still painful too.  But you are right.  This is a small bump in comparison.  This will not have long lasting effects, other than 3 small scars.

I'm sitting in front of the television when I should be finishing up a floor installation that I started over the weekend.  Doc says I have to wait until I'm healed up or I could end up with a hernia.

That's it for now.  Thanks again and you all take care of yourselves too!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

another NY postie

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:00:46 am »
Ernie, Ouch!  Glad they got it out and you are recovering!  My daughter had a ruptured appendix last Sept when she was 9.  It was very scary and I didn't get her to the hospital for over 24 hours because I thought it was just some viral tummy ache.  Bad Mommy!  She was in the hospital for 7 days and I learned some hospital stay techniques there that I could apply to my AN surgery. ;D  I must say this kicked off our year of hell with me being diagnosed with the AN the following June, and I feel like we ended it with my AN surgery so hopefully you are ending your tour with an appendectomy!  Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:57:57 am »
I never worry about you, Ernie.  You're in and out of the OR in no time.  Piece of cake.  But, of course, sorry you had to told to slow down again.  Maybe you should pace yourself so your body doesn't revolt again!

On the fat graft thing . . . mine's on my right!!!   ???
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness