Author Topic: The House/St.Vincent Experience  (Read 3251 times)

B

The House/St.Vincent Experience
« on: April 01, 2006, 05:08:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for the help. It turns out that the Los Angeles doctors and hospital are "in network" on my insurance. Yeah!!!

I have decided to go to the House Clinic / St. Vincent. I have surgery scheduled with Drs. Luxford and Schwartz in May. Can you please give me information about the immediate neighborhood around the clinic and hospital and nearby attractions. My sister will be with me for sure and we are considering who else might join us on the trip.

Other info about your experience there and those doctors would be welcome as well.

Thanks. We need to book the flights soon.

Byron Jones

B in Georgia, USA
AN FSR June 1999
Translab May 2006

Desilu

Re: The House/St.Vincent Experience
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 07:00:46 pm »
Hi Byron,

The area around HEI and St. Vincent's is a very diverse group of people. Nationalities of all kind are in L.A. I personally felt very safe in the day time. St. Vincent's has security outside in the evening. There are many things to do in L.A. The bus transportation and subways are very cheap, a day pass for either, ran about 3.50 for the entire day. We even took the subway to see the Queen Mary (ship). We took a bus to the Farmers Market and Grove Mall. You can also go to any major Hotel and they offer bus tours of the Stars Homes, Hollywood etc.

I had different doctors than you, but I feel all the doctors at HEI are good. I had a very good experience there. If you need futher info about what to take or other questions in general, just send me a personal email and I will reply as soon as possible. I wish you the best, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:37:59 pm »
Bryon,
 House itself will give you a list of former patients who are willing to talk to you regarding their experience there. They are available through any one of their surgical consultants.  I don't know much about the immediate vicinity, I was pretty busy having the surgery and afterwards was too dizzy to do much sightseeing, but the doc and nurses and everyone were incredibly caring and efficient.  Email me off forum and I'll send you my phone # if you want to talk.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

puffycheeks

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 08:39:10 pm »
Hi, I live near East L.A. and can tell you about the area in which St. Vincents and House is located.  It is not a very good neighborhood.  Although someone posted feeling safe in the daytime, the immediate intersections where the House and St. Vincents is, may be relatively okay.
Don't go walking around at night.  It is not the poorest area of LA, however, not in the middle to upper class area.  It is in a congested area, near MacArthur Park, which is not a good area at all.
The hospital itself is one of the best in the country.  It is clean and the nurses, staff are very nice.  If you go east, you will hit the Hollywood area.  It is not too far from Universal Studios.
Again, please be careful when walking around day or night.  It is not South Central, but it is definitely not Beverly Hills.
Hope this helps.
8mm x 5mm x 5mm on left side
diagnosed Aug. 2005
Middle Fossa Surgery 11/8/05; House Ear Clinic
Reoccurence diagnosed 3/2/07
1.5cm x 5.4mm on left side;
Translab Approach 5/8/07; House Ear Clinic

rntiggergirl

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 02:24:19 am »
Hi-
I agree with puffy cheeks!!  I would not walk around that area during the day or night.  I would recommend your sister rent a car if she plans to see the sites.  as far as St Vincent's - it is a wonderful hospital, the nurses are great (I am a nurse and was very impressed).  I do not have the same doctors, however, all the the doctors are very good at house and they work together in consultation on cases also.

Best of luck
Cheryl
Middle Fossa 12/03
BAHA 4/04
Vestibular nerve resection 7/05
Blind closure of the EAC 5/1/06  - all procedure were done at St Vincents - they are wonderful!!! ;D

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:53 pm »
Cheryl
Could you explain the second surgery for vestibular nerve resection?  I thought they always "sacrificed" that nerve during middle fossa. We gotta Wench on board who has had some hellacious vestibular problems that you experience with this might help, right Nan?
Thanks!
Capt Deb 8)

nannettesea

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:36:53 am »
Yep, Capn.  However, that's why my doc did trans-lab--he took out EVERYTHING.  He insists I couldn't possibly have any residual nerve function....

Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

rntiggergirl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:46:43 am »
Hi Capt Deb-
When they did my surgery they were attempting to same my hearing (unfortunately that failed, but almost as good as new with my BAHA) so they did not cut both the upper and lower sections of the vestibular nerve,  the vestibular nerve was damaged during the middle fossa surgery, but not cut.  Therefore, what was left of my nerve was not working properly and sending bad information to my brain about my balance, it was really awful.  That is much better as long as I dont get tooooo tired or stressed out (haha). Now I just have to deal with the CSF leak that they cannot detemine where it is coming from,  it is very elusive.  Well thats my story for now, will have another surgery in the near future, just dont know when or what yet. They Dr Fayad/neurotologist, Dr Hitzelberger/neurologist and Dr Go/neruoradiologist) are getting together to discuss it next week.

Cheryl  ??? ??? ???

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 10:10:39 am »
Hmm very interesting--I didn't think they did that at all, leave any of the vestibular nerves as that erroneous info is really bad for balance. I'll have to get in touch with Dr. Friedman to see if they did that with me. It doesn't show up in my surgical report--I had MF in an attempt for hearing preservation as well.
Capt Deb

russ

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 01:22:44 pm »
Hi Capt!
  Just guessin here but seems if you had Middle Fossa, the vestibular nerves are still at least partially intact, albeit, maybe the remaining, traumatised?
  Seems Translab will take the nerves and ALL ( to include axed 8th nerve at brainstem ), really.
  I hope you feel better. Sorry I couldn't find the beginning of the discussion thread. I'm starting at 10 most recent posts. Do I know how to use the site well? NO! - smile -
  Russ