Author Topic: 3 1/2 weeks post op with loud tinnitus and occassional "sizzlers"  (Read 2126 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
My tinnitus is still really loud and it makes it hard for me to sleep.  Unfortunately, I can't sleep without the meds right now and I think tinnitus might e the main culprit.  Of course, I'm still worried about my facial, but the tinnitus is what's keeping me up at night.  I know tinnitus gets worse when you're tires (wonderful vicious cycle) and I've recently been experiencing a sizzling type noise as my brain tries to process an outside noise, but doesn't know what to do with it.  These sizzlers are very loud and bothersome.  ANyone had experience with these post surgery?  I have to hope they go away once the brain stops trying to understand every noise and finally gives up on that side.  These sounds will wake me if I'm just about to drift off.  Not happy with them.

Any experience with this?
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Re: 3 1/2 weeks post op with loud tinnitus and occassional "sizzlers"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »
Sorry it's bothering you so much! My tinnitus is pretty loud, too, but I feel like I got pretty accustomed to it pretty fast so I'm lucky. I did have some weird "electric" type sounds (maybe like your "sizzlers"?) the first week but the went away after a week. Hopefully yours will settle down, too.
When I had my hearing test on thursday the tech recommended staying "out of silence", because silence (like when trying to sleep) makes the tinnitus worse. Maybe try a white noise machine next to the bed?
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:08:07 pm »
Somewhere there is a website with a variety of tinnitus sounds ...... and I think I have all of them!   :'(  There are several threads related to tinnitus you might want to check.  At the ANA Symposium last summer there were sessions on tinnitus explaining some of the new treatment options on the horizon ..... I'm staying tuned!  Actually I can pretty well re-focus and forget about the noise/ringing (sometimes it is lawnmowers, sometimes a high pitched squeal, sometimes a clanging triangle, sometimes all of them at once!) except when I am in a loud environment (noisy restaurant, receptions, etc.) or I am overly tired.  I think it is worse when you are trying to go to sleep because 1) you have nothing to distract you and 2) the brain is accommodating to the silence.  I almost do better when there is some kind of white noise, even news programs, in the background.  If I can get to sleep before my husband turns the TV nightly news program off, I am much better.

Thoughts and prayers for more restful sleep.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
This web site has some tinnitus sounds and deseribes their neuromonics tinnitus treatment which is not the same as trinnitus retraining.
One of the members has tried this. The device costs $$$$$$$$$$$ of course.
I hope to look into it.....someday......, some year,..........because the tinnitus is here to stay.

www.neuromonics.com

Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty