Author Topic: Strange sleep experience!  (Read 3303 times)

shameless_stud

Strange sleep experience!
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:51:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted, hope you are all well.

I just wanted someone to speak to about my strange sleep pattern last night. I went to bed about 1am and I didn't wake up until 8pm at night - 3 hours ago!!! That's about 21 hours sleep, what the hell has gone wrong here??? I've never slept for that long before.

I have a 1cm AN in my left side, I wasn't under the influence of drugs or alcohol and I didn't feel unwell or anything to warrant such a long sleep. Am I over-reacting here is is this to do with my AN do you think? I'm scared, very scared!

Thanks for your help.
Mark, 24

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
Re: Strange sleep experience!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »
I haven't heard of any odd increases in sleep, but maybe another more experienced member can shed some light.  I wouldn't be too concerned, unless it becomes the norm for you.

BTW, your forum name is the funniest I have seen so far!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:05:43 pm »
Mark .....

Good to hear from you again.  My first reaction to your post was, "Boy, he must have been really sleep deprived!"  Second reaction was, "I wish I could sleep that long without getting up to go to the bathroom!"   ::)  Third reaction was, "I hope he did not sleep through going to work ....."

I am not a doctor and do not know your medical history, but I would find it very unusual for this to be related to your AN.  However, I would certainly mention it to my doctor if I were you ..... especially if you have any other health issues that could be involved.

Sweet dreams .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
Mark,

I have to say I've never heard of sleeping in excess to be a symptom of ANs either.  I hope you've been able to contact your doc, if not, keep trying.  And breathe.  You will be okay.  Please keep us posted on what is going on with you,

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:57:08 am »
Mark,

I have to say, "That is a very interesting thread!"

I've had the oppostive problem because, I have the AN tumor.  (sleep deprived)

Your sleeping that long prompts me to ask that you post which nerves your AN is touching.  What are your current symptoms?

Last night rather than take sleeping meds, or allergy pills, I read for a long while which put me to sleep for seven hours, straight.

Did you happen to study for an extended duration or over-use your eyes?  (not that it would induce such a deep REM sleep)

Yes, I'd contact my AN team right away and maybe a "sleep clinic."  Do let a professional know about this odd occurance.

What is your normal sleeping habit?  Please post more specifics that you are able to think of so, we AN forum people can dissect.

Thanks for sharing,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Lilan

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 09:02:51 am »
I've slept that long twice in my life, and both times involved overseas travel = jet lag.

Had you missed a lot of sleep the previous week?

I do think AN/balance etc. makes you more tired. I'm definitely sleeping longer nights these days. (But like 9 hours, not 21!)

If it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry too much....
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

opp2

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 12:37:48 pm »
I've slept that long a couple of times, but it's because I worked very long shifts the days prior. ie 26 hour shift at work.

What I have found is that I am way more tired now than I used to be. I know I absolutely need 9 hours sleep to function at my best, and I need to drink tons of water else I suffer headaches/wonky head all day long.

I am just recently discovering this last part. With an increase in water intake (we're talking 2-3 litres a day more) that I feel 100% better. Add the extra sleep...and well .....I feel good
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

moe

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:26:28 pm »
Strange sleep habit, indeed. Doesn't seem like an AN issue but check with your doctor.
Do you work? Are you a student?
Maybe just way too much over stimulation without realizing it...
Let us now how much sleep you get tonight (may end up being an insomniac!)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

LisaP

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:09 am »
Hi,

I have the opposite problem, I am sleep deprived.  Since my AN dx of March of 08, I very rarely sleep all night, waking up at least 2 to 3x's per night.  But I am also going thru Menopause, which is a fun thing that all of us women get to experience.  So I think my lack of sleep is due to my AN, stress and menopause.  Try to figure out what happened before you went to bed, where you extremely tired?  ect.....   

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »
I have to agree with Lisa.  I was so stressed I didn't sleep much either.  The first month or so I  constantly felt like I always had an adrenalin rush.  Maybe you're having the opposite reaction.  It's certainly food for though.  Let us know what your doc says.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:02:33 pm »
This is one of those issues that point out how different all of us AN-ers are (in relation to our ANs, and other things too!)

I noticed extra sleeping time long before i was diagnosed, but I have dealt with depression for most of my adult life, so i just wrote it off as using sleep to avoid issues --a favorite diversionary tactic of mine.  I do believe that my increasing need for lots of sleep over the year prior to diagnosis (i usually need 9-11 hours ) is a combination of body reaction to AN and my depression. 

I decided for myself to ask for a very low dose antidepressant, and have noted a marked improvement in my sleep quality.  I must add that I have also made extra effort to talk about this AN with friends, doctor, family etc. (much more so than I usually talk about such personal things).   The talking and sharing plus the mild sedative plus regular exercise helps a lot.  Thank goodness for friends who have horses (who always need stalls cleaned, horses exercised, etc.)

Definitely mention the sleep issue to your doc.  Talk about it with friends, etc.  It is miserable to be sleep-deprived, and it is miserable to sleep all the  time....another little challenge AN folks have to deal with.   And, it is not a sign of weakness to examine your feelings and see if there is any depression (or hidden anger) about the AN, etc.

Lots of great observations about this in earlier posts , of course!!!

Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »
Stud -

are you depressed?  If not, I'd recommend consulting with your doctor.

Clarice -

had a good laugh @ your response.  Your reaction #1, #2, and #3 apply to me also  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:54 am »
Sounds pretty weird,  but boy what I'd do for 21 hours of uninteruppted sleep.............. maybe I'd finally feel a little csught up since the darn AN experience has caused me major sleep deprivation.  I too question if perhaps you had not been getting enought sleep for many nights in a row and maybe your body just needed the rest?? I'd def consult your doc

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »
Mark,

This is not typical AN tumor stuff. You are 1 cm so I cannot imagine the brain stem to be too pushed over (mine was 4cm so my brain stem was way over - pushed into an "s")

The brain stem controls your sleep...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainstem

I have read lots on the forum about insomnia but not much about such a long duration for sleep as 21 hours.

" hypersomnia?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersomnia

I suggest you start charting both your sleep pattern and energy levels...

When you next see the DR bring this up. If this happens again you may want to expedite an appointment ...

What I would give for 8 hours uninterrupted sleep... but still 21 consecutive hours in NOT normal nor typical AN stuff. Are you on any meds that might do this? Do you have diabetes?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!