Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!  (Read 13990 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:18:04 pm »
Hi Family!

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and good luck to all the cooks out there.  I've had a headache for 3 weeks but I'm cooking anyway--did not do it last year and I really missed having some turkey.  I'm going to try to stretch it out over the next three days and definitely taking my caregiver, Dr Love, to the store with me to shop.  It will be a small family gathering but I want to make lots for leftovers because my grandscallywags will be here on Friday (their Pa couln't get off work so we won't see them till Fri evening) Am shopping Tues,  baking a pie, the stuffing, and the green beans on Wednesday, and doing the turkey, gravy and mashed taters on Thurs.  I remember one memorable Thanksgiving where I cooked for everyone with two screaming kids running around the house, then missed dinner because I had a full-blown brainwreck by the time we were ready to eat. Not fun. Amtaking my time this year.  Although I may have trouble catching this big feller:

I will be thinking of each and every one of you and how much you mean to me.  You folks are my lifeline.  Especially some of you--you know who you are!!

I'm so grateful to have found this forum and I wish all of you would just come over and have Thanksgiving dinner with me!!!  Let's hear it for no headaches or wonkyhead for Thanksgiving!!!  Yeah!!!

Lets hear how YOU are going to make it easy on yourself this year. Or are you?

Hugs to everyone,

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:56:56 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »
..... and a Happy Thanksgiving to All!

..... but Deb, it does not sound like you are going to relax very much over the Holiday.  I hope you can delegate most of the work to others standing around.

For a number of years we have gathered two extended families at the parents of our daughter-in-law.  However, we have turned over the cooking responsibilities to the younger generation.  They have a blast teasing each other while preparing a delicious feast for the rest of us.  I still make the potato souffle and the dinner rolls, but they do the rest.  Oh, I'm getting hungry already .....   :o

Safe travels for everyone driving over the holiday.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:23 pm »
Deb ~

Thanks so much for your warm and sincere wishes for this Thanksgiving Day!

My wife and I are going to celebrate the way we usually do, by enjoying the holiday repast at my wife's brother's home where his wife does all the cooking.  I think Tina will be making a pumpkin pie as our 'offering'.  A good time is guaranteed for all.  :)

I'm pleased to see that (a) you plan to cook the Thanksgiving meal this year and, (b) you plan to do it incrementally, saving your strength.  Sounds like a good plan.  Thanks for the dinner invitation but we're already booked.  Thanks too, for your many contributions to these forums, both serious and lighthearted.  May your future be headache-free...you deserve that.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:12:52 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving All..please enjoy your time with your families!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:02 pm »
Ditto! ;) ;D

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:52:04 pm »
Right back at ya, Captain  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:45:26 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving Deb!  I also hope you have a headache-free day.  Enjoy your family time!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jackie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:08 am »
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, my dear family of Aner's,

I am doing the cooking, but will have side dishes brought from my grown kids. Today I already made the cornbread dressing and the Yam balls and the frozen jello salad. Tomorrow the gravy the pies and pumpkin bread, then wed. the greenbeans, and veggie platter, and dips, on thursday the Turkey. I just can't do it all at once anymore! This may be my last one, time to turn it all over to the kids!! May I wish all of you a very wonderful day with your loved ones and if you haven't a place to go, you are welcome at our place! We always have enough for an Army!!! Marines and Air Force and Navy too! Blessings to all ...............................
Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:49:36 am »
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Mom is cooking, Steve is eating. There are still a few things right in the world.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:00:33 am »
Captain Deb,  

Thank you for starting this wonderful thread!  I see that despite those darn headaches, your humor and great wit rise above to help us greet the day!

A Happy Thanksgiving to All!  Only now do i truly appreciate this forum family (was in too much shock last year) getting me through the good and bad times, supporting all those in need (even when you don't know it.)

I am grateful for the forum, the moderators and all those who participate, even if only occasionally.  
The collective wealth of knowledge gives me the insight i would not otherwise have.

[Deb - hope we get to meet in the future!  My mom has cousins in Boone, NC, and i lived in Winston-Salem area in the early '80s, where both my youngin's were born.
Now the 'baby' is 21 and my older daughter is soon 25.  I would be happy for them to do all the cooking, that would be great!  But will at least start some of the preps today - i like your strategy.]  I did take the week off from work, so no real excuses for not cooking!

For everyone who is traveling, my prayers are for a safe journey.
Sincerely,
Sue
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:11:55 am by suboo73 »
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:07:09 am »
Hi Deb and all my fellow ANers!

I am also hosting the feast at our house, so the cooking will start later today (when the money-earning part of my day is over!)  Luckily for me, Aunt Rosie is bringing fresh Italian pastries from Queens!! I will enjoy cream puffs, canolis and other delectables for all of you!!

Cheers, Salute, Chin-chin, etc.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 08:58:41 am »
I'm so happy to be able to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving...and how thankful and grateful I am for all of the blessings we receive from the Lord every day!  The AN site has been a HUGE blessing to me...

This year will be a little different for us...our Florida family is "dwindling" as so many have passed away in the past year-or-two...but we will be having dinner with hubby's Aunt at her Nursing Home tomorrow!  She's in GREAT shape for her age...A little dementia, but not bad for 100+ years old!  On Thursday, we are roasting a Prime Rib (not too much into the "turkey" scene) for just the two of us, and putting up our Christmas tree!  (I LOVE the Christmas Season and want it to last as long as possible!)  Woohoo!!

Hugs...

Barbara
Barbara

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:13:11 am »
This will be the twenty-sixth year that I'll be preparing the Turkey in our home; we picked up a fresh 17 pounder last night at the local butcher shop.  Wonky head, headaches, bum eye, lousy balance, who cares, it's still one of my favorite days and the only time during the year I get to use the good knife. Besides, we're talking tryptophan and gravy, you gotta love it--food and drugs all in one sitting served up on my Mother's Lenox China--the once a year that stuff comes out of the hutch.

I sure do have a lot to be thankful for this year, less than four months after Brain Surgery.  Its almost like last year, when I sat down to Thanksgiving dinner six months out from Bypass Surgery.  Gosh, I only hope next year it will only be a lanced hemorrhoid I'll have to reflect on--I know, not while you're eating!   

A Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 10:54:08 am »
This looks like the official Happy Thanksgiving thread, so,  Happy Thanksgiving all!  I will be working from 6 AM to 2 PM, but Isabel is off and will be cooking up a welcome home from work turkey for me :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:35 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to my Virtual Family!

Rich (Rich56) and I usually go to my sister’s house for Thanksgiving. She’ll be cooking the turkey (she makes the best turkey!!), potatoes, and chocolate cream pie. I’m making the meat stuffing, almond puff pastry and a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

On the ride over to her house (about a 20 minute ride) Rich and I pop in my Arlo Guthrie CD and listen to Alice’s Restaurant. That’s tradition!

I plan on starting a new tradition this Thanksgiving Day.

At 3 PM (eastern time), I will be raising my glass for a toast to everyone here on the forum. If there is a good side to getting an AN, it’s in getting to know all of you. I’m glad to be a part of such a caring community… it warms my heart to see how much everyone cares about each other. So, if anyone feels like joining me at 3 PM… consider yourself invited.

For me, this year brings a whole new appreciation for family and friends, and for the little things in life that are rarely given a thought… until you’ve had an AN.  I have a lot to be thankful for this year, but what I am most thankful for, is my wonderful husband Rich.
My life, my love, my soul mate.

Happy (and safe) Thanksgiving to all,  :-*

Scarlett and Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.