Author Topic: Question about BAHA abutment  (Read 3554 times)

margen

Question about BAHA abutment
« on: November 29, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
I had BAHA surgery approx. 8 weeks ago.  The abutment is flush with my scalp and about two weeks ago I noticed that the skin around the abutment was beginning to grow over the abutment.  The surgeon had to numb my scalp and remove the skin.  Has this ever happened to anyone.  If so, what was the outcome?

lori67

Re: Question about BAHA abutment
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »
Yes, I've heard of this happening.  I had some problems with the skin wanting to grow up and over the abutment during the first year I had it, but never had to have it removed.  My doctor gave me a steroid cream called clobetasol to put on the area any time I noticed any swelling.  I put a little on before bed and by the morning it was usually fine.  I have had my abutment for 2 years now and I still keep the clobetasol on hand just in case, but I rarely use it anymore.  I guess after a while your body accepts the fact that the abutment is there to stay and learns not to fight it anymore.   :D

It was a bit frustrating during that first year, but once I got past that, it's been fine for the whole 2nd year.  I'm sure your situation will get better too, hopefully long before a year.

Ask your doctor about the clobetasol though.  Works like a charm!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:14:10 pm »
Margen -

this didn't happen to me, but I know it happens on occasion to others.  As with Lori, they usually get through it okay and heal without further issues.

I'm a little puzzled when you say your abutment is flush with your scalp.  My abutment is very close to my skull, but it's not flush.  You may want to ask your doctor if this may be the reason for the skin growth.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

margen

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:31:10 pm »
Thank you Jan and Lori for your replies.  When I went back to my surgeon after having the skin removed, he gave me a few shots of steroids to keep the swelling down and hopefully prevent the skin from growing over the abuttment again.  He also prescribed Batemethasone Dipropionate cream to be applied twice a day.  Sounds very similar to the solution you suggested. 

I just have two comments.  I don't agree that the BAHA surgery was "a piece of cake" as I've often read on these posts, I had some complications during the surgery.  The surgeon said it would take approx. 2 hrs., and it took nearly 5 hrs.  I also feel like, at 3 months post BAHA surgery, I'm just now turning a corner and beginning to heal.

And ... where's the BAHA recovery kit I've seen mentioned?  ;)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:24:52 am »
I just have two comments.  I don't agree that the BAHA surgery was "a piece of cake" as I've often read on these posts, I had some complications during the surgery.  The surgeon said it would take approx. 2 hrs., and it took nearly 5 hrs.  I also feel like, at 3 months post BAHA surgery, I'm just now turning a corner and beginning to heal.

And ... where's the BAHA recovery kit I've seen mentioned?  ;)

Margen -

sounds like you are a very unique case.  I know many people who have BAHA implants and the vast majority of them have no complications whatsoever.  I've also never heard of the surgery taking almost 5 hours :o  Was your doc experienced in BAHA surgery?

My surgery was done outpatient under local anesthesia and my neurotologist and I basically cracked jokes throughout the entire procedure.  The procedure itself was about 90 minutes from start to finish and I could have literally walked out of the OR if my doc would have let me - he didn't.  But I did walk out of the hospital after having a cookie and some juice in the recovery room.

My BAHA site healed completely, without complications, during the 90 days I was waiting to be able to attach my processor and things have been smooth for the past 21 months.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience - both with your surgery and with healing.

As for the recovery kit, we must have missed you when you had your surgery.  Was it on the AN Calendar?  Or did you mention it in a post?  Generally Lori or I pick up on either of those "triggers" and offer to mail out a kit.  Kits are generally mailed out prior to the surgery since they are most useful within the first week post op.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:34:26 pm »
Margen,

I am just a few days short of being one year post-op for my BAHA surgery and  have to agree with Jan that your case seems unusual.  My surgery took about two hours (perhaps less -- I was waiting outside the OR with no clock or watch for a while).  No complications for me either other than the healing cap falling off which was really not a big deal.  My doc just put it back on for me.  The only problem I have is an occasional slight crustiness but I suspect this is my fault for not cleaning the abutment often enough.  It clears right up if I clean it with peroxide for a couple of days.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

tenai98

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 05:07:02 pm »
same here Margen
BAHA surgery was a piece of cake...no pain no nothing...I had some dressing literaly turn to stone but that was no biggie(after I found out what it was)...My surgery was probably 2 hours and an overnight stay because of the distant I travelled to have it done...Doc just wanted to be on the safe side....I get my BAHA on Feb 3/10 and I just  cant wait....
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7