Author Topic: for the new folks  (Read 1271 times)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
for the new folks
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:18:08 pm »
Hey gang, just wanted to give you new folks some experience. My AN was taken out 12 /03/07.

It was the shape and size of a big almond along the hearing (8th, ithink) and facial (7th) nerves behind my rt ear. i had tinnitus over there and knew i was deaf b4 the surgery.

Here are some things for you to think about or look into IF you are looking into AN surgery, from my 2 year perspective anyway.

1. make sure your surgeon does more then 1 or 2 of these a month. Experience is everything.

2. if possible go find a local ANA group b4 you schedule it. see what some of them look like and what they tell you about the surgery.

i say that because my local group here in Houston, while i haven't made a lot of meetings, has helped me a lot these last 2 years.

3. FACIAL nerve damage......now for me this is what happened. i'm 58. College professor. The rt side of my face cant do several things it used to do such as:

a. cant smile on rt side
b. cant blink at all on that side
c . which means i have dry eye and must use drops all the time. sun glaring in or wind whistling in eye is painful. you wink or blink many times a minute , i dont.
d. my dentures did not fit again as my palette changed due to the dropping of my face muscles about 1/2 to 1/4 inch.

Now it doesn't look that bad NOW, but after surgery it looked like i had a stroke.

e. i cant use a straw on rt side lips wont stay together.
f.  and if you can raise your eyebrows or Knit your brow, i cant.

Now these are MINOR irritants most of  the days. BUT if you are a young lady, under 50 maybe , concerned with your face and pretty,

be real careful. AN's are NOT usually life threatening. usually non cancerous as well.

I am still very glad i had the tumor taken out. But even 2 years later, i have residual affected areas. the eye part is the biggest day to day deal. some days it gets tired and face just "hurts" for better lack of a word.

trying to help.  ;)
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: for the new folks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:11:28 pm »
Cherrypiper ~

As a fellow 'veteran' of AN surgery (and subsequent radiation) I can appreciate your comments, even if I didn't have the exact same experience as you've had.  That's the salient point; there is no template for AN surgery results.  We're all different and will have dissimilar results, be they good or not-so-good.  I'm sorry to learn of your facial deficits and accompanying issues but I admire your positive-yet-realistic outlook.  Your advice to the newly-diagnosed is solid and helpful, I'm sure.   I hope and will pray for your continued healing and that your eye issues will soon resolve.  Thanks for your post.     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.