Author Topic: Infection is back - I am weary  (Read 30306 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Infection is back - I am weary
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »
Kathy,
Your husband sounds like a treasure, and your daughter too.  Blessings there, my dear.  My husband was in charge of my PICC lines, and I never loved him more!  He got up at 5 every morning to get things set up for me.  I 'm glad you got the central line instead of having all those bits and pieces flapping around.  What a nuisance!  My prayers are with you as you move into the next stages of treatment.  May they be an encouragement to you!
Love,
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2010, 06:14:19 pm »
Chin up.
Be strong.
Love to Kristin and the man.
Thinking of you,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2010, 07:55:09 am »
Kathy -

I'm one who has never shied away from professional help - for me and for my children - so you might want to ask Kristin if she's willing to talk to a therapist.  Sometimes being able to express your thoughts and fears to someone who is totally "away" from the situation can be immensely helpful and can put a new perspective on things.  A support group - like Donnalynn suggested - is also a great idea.  It would depend on Kristin and her comfort level though.  Some find they like the privacy of one-on-one counseling, others like the support a group offers.

Then again, Kristin is old enough to decide for herself what she wants to do and she may not feel she needs counseling or a support group.  I'd let her lead the way by presenting her with resources and letting her make her own decision.  Telling her it's okay to seek help will give her a good foundation to make the decision that is right for her as some might think it's admitting to a weakness if they say they need help.

Being honest and open in your communication with Kristin and encouraging her to talk about her feelings is another idea that I think would be helpful to her.

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions; I am not a medical professional  :)

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions for Kristin.  She is one amazing young lady and she has been dealing with some heavy stuff with me for a very long time.  She told me last night that she very much appreciates the offer to talk about how she is feeling about all of this, but she would feel selfish since this is not about her.  Had myself a good little cry last night thinking about it. 

I think in time, she may feel differently, and I will be certain that she knows the many options that are available to her, be it counseling, support groups (and yes, I remember reading about some of theses same kinds of groups at my hospital that DonnaLynn mentioned!), or people who share these life experiences.  I thank you for your caring hearts that extend to my family.

I had my appointment with the oncology surgeon this morning.  The green light was given for surgery on Thursday at 11:30.  I must say, the difference between my AN surgeons and this one is NIGHT and DAY.  I was cared for by my AN surgeons with compassion, caring, kindness, AND skill, experience, confidence, and knowledge.  The first 3  characteristics are absent in this one!  But, I keep reminding myself, that I wlill not have a long-term relationship with this guy - he is the surgeon who, once I heal sufficiently, will refer me to the oncologist for my treatment.  So, we are willing to accept the lack of bedside manner and pray that he is the surgeon that we are hoping for in the skills category!  AND....we are even more grateful for the AN surgeons in Cincinnati - they spoiled us!  If my husband and I do not have a rapport with the oncologist we meet with down the road, we will seek out one who fits the bill from all perspectives!!

So, we are ready.  Heading to Columbus tomorrow night so we are close to the hospital.  My husband's family is driving up from Kentucky to be with us tomorrow night and they will remain with my family during surgery on Thursday.  I feel surrounded by love, prayers, warmth, and positive healing energy - much of which come from my AN family here.  And I am looking forward to becoming a postie, once again.  I may not be online tomorrow, but I've asked my daughter to log in Thursday and let you know how I'm doing.  Not sure if she wll follow this thread or start a new one, but on her family notification list is my AN family. 

As always, thank you all for being here for me throughout all of this. 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:25 pm »
I must say, the difference between my AN surgeons and this one is NIGHT and DAY.  I was cared for by my AN surgeons with compassion, caring, kindness, AND skill, experience, confidence, and knowledge.  The first 3  characteristics are absent in this one! 

Well, it's a great thing that you have all of us then.  We'll make up for your surgeon's lack of compassion, caring, and kindess  ;D

Best of luck, Kathy.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

You are strong.  Keep the faith; you'll get through this.

Kisses  :-*

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2010, 07:16:31 am »
Kathy,

Some of the best doctors have the worst bedside manner!  I like to think they spent so much time studying that they missed out on the socialization.   ;D

I know your daughter will be okay.  She just wants to make sure she's there for you, just like you've always been there for her.  You must be very proud of her and you should be proud of yourself for raising such a caring and compassionate daughter.

I'll be thinking of you and your family and I'll be anxiously awaiting some word from Kristin.  Virtual hug to the whole family!

Now - GO GET 'EM, TIGER!!!!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2010, 08:29:09 am »
Kath
I am so sorry that the doctors have no compassion but we do, you just need them now as the experts I guess that overules the rest. You know that your family and AN friends will definitely provide what the doctors are lacking and then some.

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and your family I as others will be looking for information as to how things are going but Kristen will have enough on her mind so she shouldn't stress if she misses a few people.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

sgerrard

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2010, 10:54:28 am »
OMG, who started the ANA Book Club, used to say "kisses to your forehead." In her absence, here is one for Kathy:

:-*

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2010, 02:56:43 pm »
Talk about feeling warm and fuzzy!  Thanks Steve  :-*

Kathy sending you a virtal hug and many  :-* :-* :-*

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:37 pm »
prayers and love and hugs flying at you from NJ, Kathy.  Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

And, Steve, your photo montage made my cry - what a beautiful series of pictures.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

wendysig

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2010, 07:37:12 am »
Kathy,

I'm sorry I didn't get to wish you luck today and I pray that you are in the very best of hands.  I too am sorry your surgeon doesn't have the caring and compassion skills but pray he is extremely skilled at what he does.  I have to agree that some of the best doctors have the worst bedside manner!  I really do think that they've  spent and still spend  so much time studying and in the lab that they don't expend much energy on developing  social skills.  I'm sending you hugs,  my love and prayers for a great outcome and am looking forward to Kristin's post.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
The kisses on the forehead was so sweet and was just perfect for today.

My prayers and thoughts are with you Kathy and your wonderful family will be waiting by the computer.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jackie

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2010, 01:08:31 pm »
Kathy,

Thinking of you and praying for you and your family
and sending blessings your way.

Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Lynn Mc

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04:14 pm »
Kathy,

Prayers are with you and your family.  Big hugs for all.  I really do love the kisses on the forehead Steve. 

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

cindyj

« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:08 pm »
Have just now read this whole thread - so sorry, Kathy, about ALL you have been through and sorry I'm just now reading about it.  Hope you are recovering as comfortably as possible today...I have been through breast cancer twice (mastectomy first time around), please feel free to PM me once you are up and about and I'll be glad to talk with you more.  You are strong and you can get through this!  You know we are all cheering you on!

Hoping the rest of 2010 will be a much better year for you!  May hugs,

Cindy

PS - Steve, that is one of the sweetest things I've seen...
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings