Author Topic: Infection is back - I am weary  (Read 30303 times)

suboo73

Re: Infection is back - I am weary
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 06:34:09 am »
Kathy,

Thank you for the update.
Prayers all around for continued healing!

Stay strong - you can do it!

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Lynn Mc

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 08:40:07 am »
Kathy,

Thank you so much for the update.  You are such a strong woman with a wonderful hubby!

My prayers & thoughts are with you both.

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Cheryl R

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:34 am »
Kathy,  Good to hear from you as I have been wondering how it went.        That is too bad about the PICC but central lines are used a great deal and long before PICCs.       I hope the infection does get taken care of now and that improves in time.     We will be thinking of you with the next round and hope for the best there too!
              One day at a time!              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2010, 09:32:10 am »
Kathy~
I meant to tell you that the whole time I had a PICC line and was going once a week to the infectious disease Dr., his nurse (who was the QUEEN of PICC lines) always said that she GREATLY preferred central lines.  We talked about it a lot as when they put in my PICC line, they hit a nerve and I couldn't use my arm for 2 weeks!  I still feel a little tingle when I hit it wrong!  Also, knowing that you might need it in the future for the cancer treatments, I think that will be better in the long run...maybe kill two birds with one stone kind of thing?

Hoping you have a good weekend!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

another NY postie

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:49 am »
Kathy, so great to hear from you and get that update.  You have been through so much and continue the battle and your spirit and strength are so evident.  I too will mark my calendar for Thursday and look forward to the day that this all is a distance memory for you.
Praying for you!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2010, 09:50:16 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome back!  So far I do prefer the central line - it's not in the way as much and appears to be much more securely fastened in.  Only one of two ports on the PICC line ever worked - the other was permanently clogged.  There's only one port on this one, but I'm assuming that because of the more direct route to the source, the chance of clotting is less? 

Today I feel rather puny - I think its the antibiotics making me nauseous but I'm hoping the anti-nausea meds will kick in here soon.

Cyndi - thanks so much for the tip on food at the James and offer to make food runs!  I'll alert the family!!!

I'll stay in touch  - and as always, thanks for your support!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2010, 11:47:41 am »
Kathy -

mind if I ask how Kristin is doing with all of this?  As a mom myself, it's something I've been worrying about.  As tough as this is on you and your husband, it must be equally tough on her.

Does she have some kind of support system in place?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 12:04:30 pm »
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for updating us.  It really sounds like your infectious disease doc is exactly what you need to get rid of this tenacious infection once and for all -- I'm glad you found him.   Your husband sounds like the kind of guy every woman would want at her side at a time like this and a real source of strength and support.  I know Kristen was also a great comfort and source of support throughout your AN journey and hope she is okay too. You have such a strong and brave spirit that I really admire how you are handling these challenges.  We are there for you in virtually and spirit too.  You and your family are in my prayers.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sues1953

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:10 pm »
I am new to all of this but I want to let you know that I will pray for you.   You just don't know what you've got till it's gone.  Hope all will be well with you.
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2010, 10:41:36 pm »
Thanks for asking about Kristin - she is very strong with me, and she has some friends, but to be honest, I'm not sure how she truly is.  I've convinced her to stop trying to give her work hours to others so she can be home, and she has gotten back into some regular hours since late last week.    She is not going to school right now and most of her close friends are away at school and I am worred about her. 

Kristin, as you remember I'm sure(!), joined this forum first over a year ago when she was worried about taking care of me.  During those first few weeks, she connected with DonnaLynn who has a daughter about her age.  They were (and remain) anxious to talk to her if ever she wanted to, but she never did.  DonnaLynn and I have spoken recently and once again, they have extended this invitation, which I am encouraging in every way possible.  You are exactly right, Jan, this is an all consuming illness to everyone close. 

Do you have other suggestions? 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

wendysig

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:50 am »
Kathy,

I think that as long as you and your husband are honest and open to taliking with Kristin, she will be okay.  Although she is young (about 19 if I remember right) she is a very strong person and I do remember her from when she joined to talk to all of us on the forum about your (then) recent diagnosis of  an AN.  Even though most of her close friends are away at school, is there anyone she's close to and stays in touch with?  It is not surprising that she wants to stick close to home since she is rightly worried about you, but you are right to tell her to go to work and have as normal a life as possible.  You all seem like a pretty good team, so just keep the lines of communication open and hopefully you will all be able to cope with all the emotions that must be swirling around.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

suboo73

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 05:18:10 am »
Kathy,

You all seem like a pretty good team, so just keep the lines of communication open and hopefully you will all be able to cope with all the emotions that must be swirling around.  Wendy

Kathy,

Sounds like you have a wonderful family, and are working hard to keep the lines of communication open.
From my own experience, i would continue to encourage Kristin to talk to someone, personal or professional, (if she wants) and then take 'a break' just like any other caregiver should do.

Prayers all around during this time.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 09:00:32 am »
Kathy,
I am so sorry I didn't realize you have a younger daughter also helping you I too have a daughter who is much older and still home but I am worried about her she is totally devoted to me during these past 6 months and not going out much and I feel so bad. When I tell her to go out I am okay she said you have taken care of me all these years and now it is my turn to take care of you I wanted to cry. But this is what they want to do so we have to just go with it I said to my daughter when I am 90 years old will she change my diaper that she adamantly said no she will hire someone...hahaha... If your daughter would like to talk to mine please let me know if we can help ???

My prayers are with you this week,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:46 am »
Kathy,
I can't believe what you are going through!  I only hope that each day is a little better for you.  Don't forget the green tea/honey/lemon.  It's very comforting.  You might get some Ensure to have also, or something along those lines.  Better than nothing. 

Or have your daughter go to one of those places, like Jamba Juice, and get some kind of healthy smoothie.  Maybe that would taste good and give you some calories.

Thinking of you and wishing you "well",

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »
Oh Kathy...I have not been on the forum much this fall, I am so sorry I have missed everything you have been going through.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I just read all your posts since my surgery and found how supportive you've been to others even though you have been on this roller coaster!  You are a strong and positive person.  You can do this.  I pray your infection is truly gone this time and your surgery on Thursday is successful.  Again, I wish this wasn't happening to you and hope there is a bright moment everyday in your future!!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm