Author Topic: Return Visit - Emotional  (Read 3055 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Return Visit - Emotional
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:28:22 pm »
For the first time since being discharged from the Hospital and in-patient rehab, I returned earlier today to donate my mostly unused walker to the Physical Therapy unit.

What a time I had.  Big neck hugs from the nurses and PT / OT staff.  Pretty emotional for sure.  One of the Physical Therapists even pointed to me as she encouraged one of her charges, "you see, he was in your spot not to long ago...now lets try again!"  The room I occupied happen to be empty, so I stuck my head in for a look...the same but for the new flat panel TV...sweet!

I don't know how many of you have returned to visit like I did today, probably all, but I'm telling you, that was really cool.  What surprised me most was the nurses remember me most from my eye, which has been a long standing issue for me; although its much better as I type this post.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Return Visit - Emotional
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:00:21 pm »
Good job Doc. I'm sure it felt great.

I went back to the floor a few weeks after surgery with two big apple cakes for the staff.... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 09:22:09 am »
Congrats on going back to donate the walker.  I'm sure someone who needs it will be thankful as well.  I never went back to PT / OT, however everytime I go back for a follow-up, Jenni and I go back to the floor of my surgery.  See, there's a spot in the hall they call the "kissing spot".  They've hung some mistletoe up on the ceiling and it's where the family/supporters go one way and the patient is wheeled in for surgery..  So, whoever is pushing the patient knows to stop under the mistletoe to let family and patient kiss one last time before parting ways.  Jenni and I always go up and stand under the mistletoe and kiss again.  It's just a reminder of how traumatic the event was in our lives and how thankful we are that things turned out well.

Great story..

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

epodjn

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:04:09 pm »
I guess I'm the odd ball (as usual) but I have never gone back, and hope to never need to go back. I have no desire what so ever to see that room. Only in reading your posts and thinking back about it do I realize that I am probably still a little traumatized by it all. Heck, it's been over a year now and my life is getting back on track for the most part, so I guess I should just get over it huh?
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »
You're not an oddball, Julie. In order for me to go back I would have to travel to Detroit from mid-Missouri. No thanks.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:06 pm »
I guess I'm the odd ball (as usual) but I have never gone back, and hope to never need to go back. I have no desire what so ever to see that room.

I don't think you're an oddball either, Julie. As much as I absolutely adored everyone and everything connected with House Ear/St. Vincent's Hospital and will be eternally grateful for the excellent treatment I received there, I remarked to my husband, as we were driving out of the hospital parking lot to catch our flight back to New Jersey, "I hope I'm never in this place again!" I'm delighted to be able to make annual contributions to the House Institute, but I'm happy to do it via mail, not in person!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:27:36 pm »
Doc ~

Thanks for sharing the positive emotions of your return visit to the in-patient re-hab unit of the hospital where you had your surgery.  I'm pleased to learn that it was such a pleasurable experience for you.

That being stated, I'm one of the many, apparently, that left the hospital (5 days after my surgery) and, metaphorically, never looked back.  I didn't need PT so that makes my hospital experience a bit different than yours, which is, undoubtedly, a factor in our differing approach to returning to the hospital as a visitor instead of a patient.  However, I think the return visit was definitely beneficial for you and that is key when discussing this. 

Although I was treated well while a hospital patient, I considered my stay something I had to get through and not something I wished to relive, even as a visitor.  When I underwent my FSR treatments, I returned to a cancer (radiation) center located adjacent to the hospital, but it was totally removed from where I was operated on and initially recuperated.  I never entertained any desire to make a return visit to the ICU room where I was for 4 days or the semi-private room I was in my final day as a post-op hospital patient back in June, 2006. 

I don't believe one can ever erase such a major medical episode as AN surgery from one's memory - and I've never wanted to.  However, I consider it a part of my life history and not something I dwell on, other than to use my experience to try and help other AN patients via these forums.  Still, a 'return visit' to the hospital re-hab unit that was constructive for you is definitely a good decision and, again, I thank you for telling us about it, as other AN patients may wish to do something similar one day.  I won't be one of them, but, so what?  As unique individuals we each handle our AN experience in our own way.  There really isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' in these situations, only our individual choices that 'work' well for us.  I'm glad you found one that 'worked' so well for you, Doc.

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
I visited the Neuro ICU unit when I had a follow up - I guess about 3 or 4 month after my translab. I tried to find some of my nurses and thank them. I peeked in my old room. I guess I'll go back when I have my 1 year follow up, but not sure anyone will recognize me. I didn't look too great (facial movement) at post op 3 months, but I looked a heck of a lot better than I did when I was in the hospital , so the ones that saw me thought I looked really great! I kind of like going back, but I understand when one would rather not as well.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!