Author Topic: fell down...  (Read 6328 times)

ombrerose4

fell down...
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:44:18 pm »
Here I am at 3months post op. I just got Botox injections for my migraines, am on a third dose of antibiotics for a sinus inflammation that is giving me facial pain and may or may not have to do with the surgery and on Mon. Jan.4th I am scheduled for my BAHA surgery. So yestersay I was having a good day and decided to take the train a few stops and get a haircut. After the haircut I headed down the subway stairs and became distracted or disoriented (have vestibular problems)- I thought the next step was the landing, but it wasn't and I went flying. Luckily I fell sitting up with my right leg crushed underneath me. But I did not hit my head. I was helped up and waited against the subway wall for the train- my foot hurt but it wasn't terrible. Well I got home a few miinutes later  I sat right down and took off my sneaker-I had a lump the size of a grapefruit on my ankle. Saw the foot doctor last night and he didn't see any fractures yet, (sometimes they show up a few days later).Right now he is calling it a grade 3 high ankle sprain with torn tendons and ligaments. So now my vestibular challenged body is using a walker and is non weight bearing on the right foot. I go back on Thurs. for a reevaluation because it was so swollen. At best I will be in a air cast boot for about 4-6 weeks, or may be put in a hard cast and the worse scenario is surgery to repair the tendon. The fun never ends. Thanks for letting me vent, I am feeling frustrated.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: fell down...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:52:50 pm »
Falling down under any reason is no fun.  Hope you did not break the ankle and recover quickly.

TJ

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 08:52:14 pm »
Oh poor Ombrerose,

So sorry that you are having a difficult time of it! It seems like when it rains it pours!!! I hope that your pain goes away and that you heal fast! You need to have someone just pamper the heck out of you!!! Hope the New Year brings you much better healthy times!!
Blessings,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 09:04:14 pm »
Hi there,

I am so sorry you experienced a fall but glad that the injuries weren't worse. It's no fun having vestibular problems. I have been experience balance issues myself for the last two weeks and I take the subway to work everyday.  I have to look down when the subway is reaching the platform, otherwise it feels like everything is everywhere. Hang in there!

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
Lauren ~

I'm so sorry to learn about this recent falling incident that has you in pain and possibly a cast.  You have every right to be frustrated and upset.  Who wouldn't be? 

I offer you my hope and prayer that this really is only a sprain and that the pain subsides quickly and you heal rapidly.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 04:27:43 pm »
Bummer about the fall!!  Never a good thing ..... 

Prayers that you will heal quickly and the pain will lessen quickly.

These falls can be weird when one is challenged vestibularly ( :o).  Every time I have fallen, I did not know I was falling until too close to the ground to do anything about it.  I am super careful now whenever I turn directions quickly.  When standing up, I always wait an extra second or two to get my bearings before moving.  Walking in a crowd is very disorienting because the visual gaze stabilization gets all messed up.

Be careful!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

opp2

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »
So sorry to hear about your fall. Quick recovery to you!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 07:14:18 pm »
Lauren,

Sorry to hear about your recent fall.  Falling can be frightening especially to those of us who have an impaired vestibular system.  I hope your sprain (or fracture) heal quickly.  I used a walker when I was in the hospital and remember how much I hated it.  I also hope this latest round of antibiotics takes care of your sinus infection.  You've certainly been through enough.  Feel free to vent whenever you need to.  I hope you are looking forward to your BAHA surgery and knowing that it is right around the corner it starts the New Year on a high note for you.  Have a safe and happy and healthy (much healthier) New Year!

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:54 am »
Lauren,

I am so, so sorry for your fall and injury.  I spent the earlier part of this year in a boot after a similar fall down stairs (I completely missed the first step and fell down about 4 steps).  My foot went over on itself so I had what they call a Lis Franc fracture (it involves soft tissue damage and I also had two of the smaller bones broken).  It was very painful, so I completely sympathize with you right now. 

My only advice is beg for the boot.  I was in a hard cast for two weeks and the boot for the rest of the time (I think about 3 1/2 months on that, I had to wear the boot during my rehab also).  Promise them you will be a good girl and not take it off and they might let you.  The boot is SO much more comfortable and you can adjust the air pressure in it as your swelling goes down, so it fits better and doesn't have the pressure-point problems that the hard casts do.  I was not permitted to bear any weight on it, so I was on crutches, but once I could put weight on it the boot was actually not as hard to walk in as you would think, so you might be pleasantly surprised how well you can do in it. 

Again, I am so very sorry this happened to you.  I feel for you so much right now.  I know this is a frustrating blow to your psyche, but I pray that once the early pain has passed that you will heal and feel better soon.  It sounds like you have been through enough already!!!! 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

suboo73

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 07:24:12 am »
Lauren,

My - you have been thru enough without this fall - so sorry it had to happen!
Last June, my friend tripped over her (old) doggy in the middle of the night - she is still recovering:  surgery, wheelchair, walker - including at her daughter's wedding in Oct. - and now a 4 prong cane, plus PT. 

It is so challenging to recover, but i know you can do it!
Sounds like Lyn gave you some possible (good) advice about the air cast. 

Healing thoughts and prayers to you for today and the New Year.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:59:09 am »
Thank  you to everyone for their positive input and good vibes. Just came home from the dr. and I am  in an air cast boot. I used to work for the dr. so he knows I will be compliant. So no weight bearing for two weeks until he sees me again and then maybe some rehab tp prevent scar tissue, depending on the swelling and the pain. Best of all I can still have my BAHA surgery on Monday-Yay!! :) Wishing everyone a Healthy, Happy New Year!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:01:38 am »
Lauren -

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall, but glad you weren't injured any more than you are.

Fantastic news about the BAHA surgery not being postponed  ;D  I hope you're as excited about that surgery as I was.

Don't forget to post afterwards and tell us how it goes.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:02:13 pm »
Lauren,

I just wanted to say again that I'm sorry about your fall.  I have also had the kind of fall you did, but at home and landed on carpeting, which probably saved me from breaking bones or getting badly hurt.  I'm also glad to hear your BAHA surgery will go on as scheduled.  I hope 2010 will be a much better year for you.

Wishing you only good things in the coming  New Year,

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »
Lauren,

Soooo happy to hear that your BAHA is still on!!!  Also, I'm happy for you that they let you have the boot.  I think you will be so much more comfortable than you would have been in a hard cast.  Rest a lot and I hope you feel better VERY soon.   :)

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 09:45:07 am »
So sorry for your fall that must have been so scary especially happening at a subway station we AN's have to be so careful with our balance sometimes we forget and just go on with our lives before our AN.  But we have to accept our limitations with what we have and to stop and take that extra precaution in everything we do. 

My prayers are with you,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.