Author Topic: 14 Weeks Post Op Update  (Read 7346 times)

another NY postie

14 Weeks Post Op Update
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:10:15 pm »
Happy New Year to all!  Today, New Year's Day, is day 100 of my post surgery (I know this because, as I sat in my hospital bed on day 3, unable to watch TV or read or do much of anything, and decided to count days post op on my pocket calendar.  I was amazed that my day 100 fell on New Years Day and I decided at that moment that I would be “recovered” (a relative term I now understand ;)) by day 100 and start my New Year off with a new beginning.

I have not posted a tremendous amount since those first couple of weeks because I have been very fortunate to have a remarkable recovery, in that it has been unremarkable in terms of complications. I wanted to post a picture of how far I have come in 14 weeks.  This says it all!

Yep, post 14 weeks to the day, I skied for five hours!  I had no idea if I would ever be able to ski again and I did – in fact it felt, dare I say, fairly normal!  I am amazed that I have come so far in such a relatively short time.  

For someone with a small tumor, who tested only 32% loss of vestibular function pre-surgery, my balance recovery has been swift.  I had very little dizziness after surgery, could ride in a car day 5 post op with no problem, and was star pupil in vestibular rehab.  I went from jogging (albeit slow) at week 7 to biking at week 11 to skiing at week 14.  Of course, not every moment is perfect and I do have an occasional wobbly moment, but it all seems to pass and I feel really good.

I wanted to post this to let those newly diagnosed who are wrestling with the myriad of options and all the potential, and often debilitating, risks and side effects, that there are many who have the surgery and have equally or better recoveries.  I do not know why I have done so well – part luck, part perseverance, part finding the right doctor for me.  I know that the prayers that sustained me through the research phase and carried me through my surgery and healing were invaluable.

Hearing remains my challenge.  It is funny sometimes what I can “mis-hear” and I still am not comfortable in noisy environments, but like everything else, it gets better each day.  I know that I will end up with one of the bone conductive devices at some point.  

The depth of concern and support that I have felt from people on this site has been amazing.  I am doing my best to pay this forward and help those who are just beginning this journey.  There have been many blessings from getting this AN, and one of them has been gratitude and perspective on my life.  So from the bottom of my heart, wherever you are on this journey, let 2010 be the year of new beginnings for us all!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:16:31 pm by another NY postie »
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 14 Weeks Post Op Update
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »
Cheryl ~

Thank you for your exciting, inspiring progress report on your 100th day post-op.  Congratulations!  Thank you, too, for your kind word for these forums as well as for your own contributions. 

You're appreciated and valued, here.  A great 2010 to you, too!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:27:19 pm »
Thank You Cheryl. And Happy New Year to. You have done fabulous and it makes me very happy to see your smiling face as you clearly enjoy your ski day!

oops...fixed your name.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:35:17 pm by opp2 »
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:42:00 pm »
Cheryl,

Congratulations on your continuing speedy recovery! I remember that when I met you at the NY/NJ luncheon in November I could scarcely believe you had had your surgery so recently, and it appears that you've continued to return to "normal" by leaps and bounds.

This is so encouraging to the newly diagnosed out there on the forum -- there are many of us who get through the treatment with minimal issues. Unfortunately this doesn't happen for everyone, but remember that there are many AN patients who never post on this forum. They have their surgery/radio treatment and move on.

Hope you'll continue to feel fine and will investigate a BAHA (or something else) when the time is right.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
Awesome, Cheryl!  Thanks for posting those pics - looks like so much fun and great encouragement for the newbies and recent posties around here...and for us not so newbieish also!

Looks like you're on your way to a great New Year :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:30:52 pm »
I have not posted a tremendous amount since those first couple of weeks...

Yes, but now you have posted pictures, which makes up for it. We love pictures.  :)

100 days seems like a good milestone to document. Maybe we should make that a new tradition, so we have F3D and 100D.

You are looking good there on skis, congratulations on a great recovery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:43:01 pm »
Awesome, Cheryl. :)
Lets definitely keep this post handy for those who are worried about the after effects of brain surgery!
So happy for you!
Maureen.
Love the pics
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 10:30:34 pm »
VERY impressive, Cheryl  ;D

Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jackie

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 01:09:24 am »
Hello Cheryl,

So glad that life is treating you well! You inspire much hope for the rest of us! Gee, 14 weeks and skiings??? I wonder if that would happen for me too?? Oh, wait I have never skied before, so probably not! Congratulations on such a great recovery, may your blessings continue!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:42:12 am »
Cheryl,

All I can say is....WOW!  You are an inspiration.  Congratulations on your recovery.  You're a trooper!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:52:36 am »
So happy for you and your accomplishments you truly are an inspiration to both pre-ops and post-ops, cannot wait to see what is next.......

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

texsooner

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:05:48 am »
Way to go Cheryl. Great to "hear" about your strong recovery and returning quickly to your active life style. Keep it up. 

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ombrerose4

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:01:07 am »
Wow, I am impressed and sincerely happy for you. Your recovery has been remarkable. Looks like you are going to have a great year!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »
WOW, Cheryl .....

That is the ultimate in vestibular therapy!  Congratulations on a major accomplishment!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:38 pm »
Hey Cheryl, looks like you are doing awesome!! I can't wait to be at the 100 day point! :)  I'm at day..ummm, 25....and so far it's hasn't been bad, but impatient for things to get back to "normal".  That was a good PSA for all the newbies, I know I valued everyone's post experience (especially yours!) , as it helped me decide what I to do on mine.  Take care and have a GREAT New Years!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston