Author Topic: 7 months post-op today  (Read 2089 times)

briansmome

7 months post-op today
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:53:17 pm »
It's been 7 months and I'm still not sure how I feel about it all. Seems surreal. There were only 15 days between the MRI and the surgery so I guess I didn't take the time to absorb. The past seven months have been a bit tough. Stroke during surgery, left vocal cord paralysis, 3 weeks in the hospital, months of therapy...who signs on for this? For a while it seemed it was one thing right after another. Feeding tube placement, laryngoplasty, corneal transplant, etc. I'm doing really well and I know that, but it's almost time for GK and I'm getting nervous again. How did any of you do with that?
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

briansmome

Re: 7 months post-op today
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:04:41 pm »
Tumor was 4.2 cm. I am in North Carolina; I believe there is a support group a couple of hours from here, but I don't drive due to decreased vision after the transplant. Have another MRI scheduled for January 13; planning for GK will start then.
4.2 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor; resected 6/09. About 20% remains; last MRI showed no subsequent growth :) Stroke during surgery; dealing with after effects of that but better every day!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
Hi, Briansmom ~

I'm sorry to learn of your post-op struggles and you're right when you pose the rhetorical question: "who signs up for this"?   I only hope and will pray that things get better from this point forward.  The GK shouldn't be too difficult.  Swelling is the main issue and steroids usually quell that complication.  I trust that your GK will be relatively uneventful - but totally successful.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:57:33 pm »
Brians -

you've certainly been through a lot.  My AN wasn't large enough to require both surgery and radiation (debulking), but those who have had it have done well.

Kaybo had a lot of complications from her surgery - including a stroke.  She is someone who would be very helpful to you.  I've never met a woman with a brighter disposition and a sunnier attitude  ;D

I'll PM her and alert her to your post.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways