Author Topic: Surgery it is!  (Read 1525 times)

knakag01

Surgery it is!
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »
Hello all,

Well, my family and I met with Dr. Jackler at Stanford the day before yesterday and I have decided that surgery (translab) is the best option for me. I am not very comfortable with radiation itself or with leaving the "dead" tumer in my head. I feel like I'd be happier knowing it was out.

I will not be having the surgery for a few months, most likely beginning of May. We are going to Maui in late April and since I don't know what side effects surgery will bring, I'd like to have my tropical vacation beforehand  8)

My family, partner, and I felt very comfortable with Dr. Jackler. He took his time explaining, in detail, the Acoustic Neuroma and all of the options available to me. He answered all of our questions thouroughly and was actually quite more personable than I expected. I am confident this is the right choice for me as I really feel a peace about it now. I'm sure as surgery nears I'll have some worries, but overall I feel at peace.

I really must thank all of you who have provided me with information, support and encouragement. It is so comforting to read the posts here and know I am not alone. I hope that someday I can do the same for others who are new to the forum.

Kim
Kim
1.9cm x 1.2cm AN Right side
Diagnosed 11/09
Translab with Dr. Jackler @ Stanford on 5/20/10
Facial Paralysis (temp) & SSD Right side, some balance issues but not as bad as I thought :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery it is!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:02:00 pm »
Kim -

congratulations on making your treatment decision - not an easy task.

It sounds like you found a doctor you are very happy with and that's not always an easy task either.

Please let us know when you have a surgery date so we can put it on the AN Calendar - and have a great time in Maui.  I haven't been there in years and I'm very jealous  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »
Dr. Jackler? I've heard of him. :)

The hard part is over now, just put it on cruise control and see where you wind up.

Best wishes.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:38 am »
Kim,

Congrats on a treatment decision!  I agree that going on vacation first rather than dealing with the unknown with what should be a fun vacation..  In fact, you can sit on the beach for Donnalynn, but drink a Mai Tai for me while you're there!  Relax and enjoy yourself as the hardest part of the jouney (decision on treatment) is over..

In fact, my two year ANniversary will be May 8th..

Congrats!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:47 am »
Kim,

Congratulations on your decision.  I  know it was not an easy one to make, but I am happy to hear that you have a peace about it.  I felt the same way after I had made my treatment decision. 

It sounds like a great idea to wait until after your vacation.  That is one of the good things about these tumors- they normally aren't "emergency" situations and we have the luxury of scheduling treatment when it is most convenient.  I wish you the best of luck for your surgery and I go and enjoy your life until then!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »
Kim ~

Congratulations on reaching a treatment decision.  You're in good hands and in many respects, the hard part is now over.  Enjoy Maui! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »
Congratulations on your decision and definitely enjoy your vacation.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.