Author Topic: Minor Victory!  (Read 5292 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Minor Victory!
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
Okay, so many of you know that I've had facial 'weakness' since my surgery..  It has ranged from complete immobility of my face on the AN side right after surgery and has SLOWLY gotten better over time.  I had resigned myself to the fact that it wouldn't get any better and I was ok with that.

Today marks 20 months since surgery, so it was fitting that I had a minor victory this morning.  My facial weakness was such that MOST people wouldn't be able to tell (pretty close symetry, etc..) but one thing that *I* noticed that nobody else would was that when I brushed my teeth and washed out my mouth with water my face wasn't strong enough to keep from spitting a little water out as I 'swooshed' water around in my mouth.  Again, nobody would really know that but me.  And, it was a constant reminder of the AN, surgery, etc..

Well, this morning as I brushed my teeth and 'swooshed' water in my mouth I DIDN'T SPIT WATER ALL OVER THE PLACE!  *FINALLY* after 20 months (exactly) since surgery my face was strong enough to keep in all of the water while I 'swooshed'.

Morale of the story?  Never, *never* give up hope when you're dealing with facial weakness.  It just takes that long (and often times longer) for things to 'strengthen' up..

So, join me in celebration on my mini-victory some 20 months to the day after surgery.. 

Yea me!  (a la London Tipton for those 'Suite Life' fans out there)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

Re: Minor Victory!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:44:16 am »
Great news, Brian!

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I make a huge mess while brushing/rinsing.  Not only can I not keep from dribbling, but I don't have enough muscle "oomph" in my cheek to swish.  It's fun trying to tip and shake my head around while trying to get the mouthwash over to that side.  I can just see myself requiring a trip to the ER someday when I get dizzy, lose my balance and knock myself out!  That should be fun to explain.  I may have the first ever concussion caused by mouthwash.

Celebrate your victory!

Happy Swishing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »
Congratulations Brian, that is such great news. It is so wonderful to get a  little anniversary gift when you least expect it, and pleasant surprises make us feel all warm and happy inside. I'll bet your glowing!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

GRACE1

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »
This is fantastic, Brian.  Congratulations!!!!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »
Great Gift for you 20 month anniversary!!!  Keep up the swishing!
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:33:11 pm »
I think you are mistaken, Pooter, this is a MAJOR victory.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cyrmom2

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:12:31 pm »
Yea you!  Happy to hear that "the leak" will eventually go away.

Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:14:52 pm »
Brian,

Great reading your post. I hope it keeps getting better and better!

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:20 pm »
Way to go, man!!  It is the little thing that turn out meaning the most to us on this journey...believe me, I know!!  So happy for you!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:48 pm »
Hey, Brian ~

Those small (recovery) victories really do add up!  Of course, you have my wholehearted congratulations on the improvement in your facial weakness after almost two years, post-op.  Definitely something to celebrate (you decide how) and obviously a real-life inspiration for those AN patients struggling with post-op facial immobility.  You've shown that there is 'light at the end of the tunnel' and by doing so, you've made your latest victory one that we can not only celebrate with you but that you've been able to use to encourage others.  Definitely a win-win!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
Very happy for your victory, but really laughing at the London Tipton comment.  I'm thinking not many will 'get' that one.  Made ME laugh anyway........

Lots of Suite Life around this house in the past few years.

Congrats!
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »
I'm a mom to a 1st grade girl, so oh-do-I-ever get the London Tipton reference!   :D

I am SOOOO happy to hear about your hugeonormous (I had to make up a word for this occasion) victory!!!  I think it is not only an enormous personal victory, but a huge inspiration to many other people on the board who are still recovering (including, selfishly, me).

Happy swishing!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:17:12 pm »
I have 3 girlies...DEFINTIELY got the Suite Life reference!   ;D

K   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »
Everyone,

Thanks for celebrating my little victory!  Let's hope it wasn't a fluke like the 28 degree weather at 10am was here in Houston today..  YIKES was it cold!  And, I was pretty sure that some of you (especially those with kids around the age of mine) would get the Suite Life reference..

Thanks again all!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »
Congrats Brian...great to hear about improvements. I had to laugh about the swishing...I still leak while brushing my teeth.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org