Author Topic: New headache pattern bothering me  (Read 4747 times)

opp2

New headache pattern bothering me
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »
Hello all,

I haven't been plagued too badly with headaches but I wanted to discuss one that drove me to leave early from work last night, straight home and into bed just barely getting my tooth brushing it.

I worked out at about 12:00am, then came back upstairs. It was a strenght workout, so little cardio, and not to terribly heavy weights. About 20 minutes later I stood up to get a drink and barely made it into the kitchen with one of my epidsodes (you know rushing in the hear, fullness in the ear and urgent need to sit) so I did. This time the thing didn't abate as usual. My head pounded harder, and I was so nauseated. I managed to sit at my computer for about 5 minutes and the rushing and ringing ears quit but I got a headache...at the back and along both sides. I was afraid to stand up again. Finally about a half an hour in, I got up the nerve to stand up and I was ok. I got an advil and then went home. My headache was still there this morning (just like a nagging..you know I'm here kind of headache, not really bad). This is the second time this week I've had a bad day like this, and right after working out.

I've been researching like mad trying to see if there is a link to exercise and headaches, and there is of course, but the links all say could be a sign of a brain tumour. Since I already have a brain tumour, I'm wondering what ya'll thoughts are with this? Why now? Has anyone had anything like this? I keep thinking lack of food? Sugar? water? is my tumour growing??

I was afraid to work out tonight. I'll go for a run tomorrow if it warms up hopefully  :o
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New headache pattern bothering me
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »
Nikki ~

I'm sorry to learn about your sudden headache episode.  Because I'm not a physician I can't credibly offer a 'diagnosis' regarding the cause of your headache but I can offer speculation that exercising may have played a part as it raises BP and heart-rate, increases your breathing and so on, all things that might contribute to triggering a headache in someone with an acousic neuroma.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  As I stated, I'm not a doctor and this is pure speculation.  However, if even mild exercise triggers another debilitating headache, that would be a pretty good indicator that exercise is the culprit, which would be ironic but something you would have to respect.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »
Thanks Jim, I suspect the same as I sit here thinking about going to work out. Frankly I'm quite nervous about it, but I really want to keep up with my regimen. I am thinking I will go with a normal workout as posted at my club and then really scale back on the weights. I do Crossfit which is high intensity training.  Wish me luck.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
Nikki,

I cannot do a full workout, because it will either bring on a headache or intensify one.  I can handling walking, some stretching and very light weight training.  I find I have to be very careful when I bend over.  The pressure beings on a sharp stabbing pain in my temple. 

Good luck,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »
So far so good. I made sure that in my cool down I walked for 15 minutes dropping my speed from 5 to 3k gradually and didn't stop til my heartrate was at about 88 or so.

opp2

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:53 am »
So I managed to get a workout in and no subsequent head ache. There was lots of signs that I could have gotten one but I really believe the cool down to a more appropriate heart rate made the difference. Or the 2x500mg Tylenol.

I do have a resting heart rate of about 40 give or take, and my blood pressure is normally 90/60. Is this part of the reason? I believe so. I think that when we exercise we raise both and if I don't cool down appropriately, and if I sit on my but for a bit after a workout that some how, the blood is not circulating properly. Then I stand up and I get the natural rise in BP and HR and boom!  :o Wooshy head!

Who really knows what it is. How mysterious our bodies are. A miracle and a mystery all at the same time. 1 cell makes all this...It's amazing we make it to birth. Ah rambling..It's what I do.  :D

Jim Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
Nikki ~

I'm glad to learn you've managed to rein in the headache monster.  Well done!

Your resting heart rate and BP numbers are exceptional.  Athletes numbers, really.  You must be very fit.  I almost envy you but I hate exercise and have a reasonable resting heart rate (68) and BP (128/76) for a person my age that doesn't exercise (and never did).  According to my doctor, my last EKG was 'very normal'.  MY BMI is 21.6.  Still, your 'numbers' are incredibly low.  Well done, again!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
Thanks Jim, you're very kind and you are among the blessed. HR 68, doesn't like exercise, and cuts a fine figure at 'your age' (whatever that might be). My BMI is 25. I figure it's the girl hips.

I don't feel I'm that fit, and my BMI is 25, but I do work out with great enthusiasm. It helps me think. When I don't get a headache from it  ;D

Jim Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:56:49 pm »
Thanks Jim, you're very kind and you are among the blessed. HR 68, doesn't like exercise, and cuts a fine figure at 'your age' (whatever that might be).

I'll be 67 next month (see my 'signature' at the bottom of the post).  I'm 5' 8" and weigh 140 lbs.  Blessed with good genes, I guess.  Although I've always been relatively thin, in middle age I managed to gain over 30 extra pounds - until my growing AN impacted my 7th cranial nerve to the point that food tasted like cardboard, my appetite severely diminished and I practically stopped eating.  I quickly lost the extra pounds. and even though my 2006 AN surgery restored my appetite as it removed the pressure on the 7th cranial nerve, I've managed to remain at close to the weight I was when I had my AN surgery.  My doctor says that sometimes a major trauma such as AN surgery 're-sets' your metabolism and that because mine was always high, my body simply reverted to it's norm.  I think that eating very little for six months (prior to my AN diagnosis) re-trained my mind to be able to pass up big portions and the 'need' for snacks.  I don't 'diet' but I don't eat much 'junk' and always have a small portion of whatever I'm eating, be it cereal or steak.  The fact that I manage to stay relatively slim without seeming to work at it is something my wife, who is a decade younger than I am and looks great but has been trying to lose the same 20 pounds for years, simply don't discuss. This is one way we've managed to be happily married for almost 40 years. 

I'm sure you look fine, Nikki, and I still think your 'stats' are superb.  Keep up your exercise.  It works for you. 

Jim