Author Topic: Heard from the House and made it thru pre trial lit  (Read 6035 times)

Karla83401

Heard from the House and made it thru pre trial lit
« on: April 10, 2006, 09:07:43 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well, I made it thru the pre trial litigation on my husband's death today. Talk about emotionally exhausted. I am in the market for an expert on myocarditis if anyone knows of one.

But on a bright side I heard from Dr. Brackman from the House today. He is e-mailing me info tomorrow and we are looking at scheduling the surgery for early to mid May. He thinks that we may be able to save some of the hearing in the affected ear but as fast as it is growing the sooner the better. I was so impressed after talking to him and feel so much more peace about facing all of this. My sister will be flying down from Alaska to be with me. My adult children are to emotional about me, especially after lossing their Dad, so I felt that my sister would be the best.

If there is anything that anyone can think of that I might need to know please chime in. I don't get on here are often as I would like but please know that each of you have become like rocks for me and true friends.

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area
1.4x.1.1x1.1cm brain area
waiting for surgery in May 06

Battyp

Re: Heard from the House and made it thru pre trial lit
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:13:07 pm »
Karla I say yes your sister def. needs to come down!  Are your kids comfortable with her?  If someone is closer than she is get them involved too!  I took my son for pre surgery counselling.  I also met with a trusted faculty member from his school to have support in place there in case any was needed.

Glad the pretrial stuff is over.  Phyl has so many medical connections maybe she know someone!  I know there is a guy here who is considered tops in a specific type of surgery relating to the heart as a friend of mine had surgery with him and came out here from oklahoma for it. 

Revisit Kate's list on what you need after surgery....I did mine by trial and error and upon reading the list it was right on the money. 

Keep us posted as you know we'll be praying for you, waving the magic batty wand, dancing in the streets.whatever it takes to get you through this in top notch shape!

Stay strong, I know you can do it!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:31 pm »
Karla,

Glad to hear you had a pretty good day.  If it's an expert for trial, the only person I know is a former Spanish exchange student who's a cardiac surgeon, so I'm not thinking he'd count as an expert here.  He did a 2 year study at UCLA though, but I'm sure there's lots of great heart experts around.

Did Dr. Brackman talk about approaches yet?  Do you know which you will have???  I'm sure you feel relieved to know you will be in some of the best hands for this.

Other than Phyl's new glimmer of information about prune juice, I'm still looking for things to know too as I will soon follow you.  Keep an eye on the phone thread for Friday, would love for you to join us!

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:17:49 am »
Hi Karla,

I do know a thorastic surgeon in NYC... my dad's SO's son in law!  Let me get his last name for you. Dr. Nick ?  Not sure where you are located but I hear Nick is top of the line. Let me see what I can find out for you. :)

Thrilled to hear Dr. Brackmann got you squared away and you are going to be on the road to good health very soon! We're here for you and cheering you on!  I have learned this past week that the folks of this site are overwhelming amazing and we've got our cheerleader outfits and pom-poms already for you! :)

Hang in there... my mom's classic line... "this, too, shall pass!"

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:24:29 am »
You two do realize that if your scheduled at the same time with Brackman us wenches might have to take a trip west!  Think the House could handle wench partrol? ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 09:37:18 am »
I'm due for a trip west (especially San Jose/San Fran area) but S. CA works too... hmmmmmmmm....

Karla, will speak to my dad later today.. will get Nick's info for you. I know he's cardio-thorasic and need to get his last name... will advise.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

matti

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 09:55:14 am »
Thinking about you Karla and saying a special prayer for you. Wish we lived closer so we could help you out. 

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Karla83401

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:53:06 am »
Hi,

You guys are so wonderful!! Just getting the time to read your posts and now I am sitting here crying because I am so grateful to have all of you here. Finding you through this web site has been such a blessing in my life. It would be a blast to have you join me in this experience however do you think the LA area and the House are ready for such a wild bunch?

Thank you so much for checking into experts in the myocarditis field. It is overwhelming to be facing such a huge powerful organization as a teaching hospital by myself.

I am so relieved to be headed to the House and I feel at peace with being in their hands. Dr. Brackman sent me some info today for me to review about the different procedures. We have decided to wait until I get there to decide exactly which one to use. He is hoping to save my hearing in that ear so he wants to do some tests when I arrive. I should have the exact days by the end of this week and will let you know.

I have to head to a "Race, Class and Gender" class, Sociology 205 so I will close for now and check back later.

Thank you again for bring a sense of renewed hope to my heart!

Karla

diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:26:50 pm »
Ohh sounds like an interesting class.  I did one on cultural diversity that was fun and educational.

You know as the saying goes..."we've got your back"  You know we're all here for you! 

Hang in there!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:37:51 pm »
Karla, tickled you are at peace.. that, truly, is all that matters! :)  So many of us here at peace with our treatment decisions and regardless of who does what treatment, we do rally for each other!  Know that even if I can't be in S. CA to cheer you on, I'm certainly here otherwise! :)

Will speak to Dad (as our fearless Capt'nDeb calls him, PapaPearl) later tonight... if not tonight, he'll be here tomorrow night for dinner (again!).... will get the info you need. Hoping Dr. Nick is someone who can help guide you.

Phyl

Karla83401

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 08:01:10 am »
Thank you so much for your efforts Phyl !! It amazes me how active you are so shortly after treatment. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

I am really pleased to be working with the House and am so relieved to have made a final decision. I think that once I decided to go this way and put things in the hands of the Dr. Brackman, it was a huge relief. Now I am at the stage of simply just wanting to get on with it so that I can start the recovery process. The ringing in my left ear has gotten quite abit louder the past couple of days, my head feels really full and the "pinching" in the ear canal seems to be more steady along with a harder time hearing so I am kind of nervous that "tommy the tumor" has grown. I know that they said that it has grown about 5 to 6 times faster than normal so who knows, but I am not having any of the signs that would suggest that it is pressing my my brain stem. I also am not having any facial numbness, just a weird feeling in my throat when I swallow on the left side.

I have high hopes and am even signing up for a full load at college this fall. I am planning on setting up some review material from the classes that I have found the most fun to work on after surgery. I am hoping that this will stimulate the old brain.

I have been blessed with some really interesting and thought provoking classes this last semester and I hate to see it end. My Race, Class and Gender class has been very enjoyable and makes you rethink alot of everyday things in your life. I am hoping that my classes next semester will be as interesting.

A quick question for those that have already had treatment. How long is the normal period of time for not driving? I live about 15 miles for the nearest store or any other service so I am just wondering.

I will check back later,

Karla
diag. 2/23/06 left side
4x8x6mm bony area

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 09:00:37 am »
Karla--Can you Imagine the Wench Patrol hiting Seton Hall!! It was bad enuff when MJ (another sailor) and I were there together!  You are placing yourself in the best hands in the world for this surgery.

About driving--I didn't drive for 5 months, but I had the advantage of having a someone do the driving.  I probably could have driven if I absolutely had to in at about 10 weeks. Can you get a friend to get your groceries?

If you and Gennysmom could schedule your surgeries together--the wench patrol thing would be incredible!  However I think she's thinking of August.

Keep in touch--hope you can do the Fri nite "date."

Captain Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 01:43:44 pm »

Seton hall will never be the same!! I'm gonna be there for a 1 year/AN and BAHA check sometime Oct/Nov ..
 Don't wreck the place yet!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 01:57:56 pm »
Can you imagine group surgeries?  That would be stinkin' hysterical, a bunch of us crazy wenches banging around the walls and falling over.  Karla, at least at house you should have like patients around you, I'm not expecting that at all.  You guys will just have to wait till Karla and I are back up and functioning enough to travel, then we need to get back talking about that Vegas trip.  I think we will all need to blow off some steam together!!!! 

I wish I had the motivation to go back to school, but I keep filling in my extra time with volunteering.  Good luck to all of you that are going that route!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 10:06:01 pm »
Hi Karla,

sorry for the delay but PapaPearl came through! :)

Dr. Nicolas Morrissey - vascular surgeon, NYC

Here's a link for him that I found.

http://www.nypvascularcare.org/abo_us_nmorrissey.html

hoping it helps! :)

Hang in there... just like me and the rest of the gang, we're all hanging tough! :)
xo
Phyl