Author Topic: The more bizarre things that result from SSD or vestibular dysfunction  (Read 5777 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: The more bizarre things that result from SSD or vestibular dysfunction
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »
Triman -

there's a very inexpensive solution to your iPod problem.

It's called a mono plug adapter and it's available @ your local Radio Shack and also online @ Amazon.  The adapter is just what it sounds like; it puts stereo sound into a single source so that in essence one ear is hearing what two ears would normally hear.

I purchased a mono plug and a single ear bud shortly after my AN surgery left me SSD for under $10.

I just recently purchased a MP3 adapter from Cochlear and am now awaiting my BP100 (I currently wear a Divino) so I can try it out.

It's supposed to be a wonderful little "toy". 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

turbomom

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 09:23:04 pm »
Luv the weeble comparison! I had a whole slew of them when I grew up. Thank goodness I do not have too many wobbling issues at this point. However with that said, I seem to be doing some silly things... juice in the cabinet... bringing in one dog and planning to take the second one out and instead put the leash back on the first one and walk out the door. Maybe they are stressed related issues or maybe not :P
tinnitus, mild hearing loss, occasional light-headiness, rare imbalance. Diagnosed on 07/09; 14x9x8mm intra and extra canalicular of left ear. Repeat MRI on 1/15/10...waiting for radiologist to read, but on quick review little growth shown.

kford

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »
I'm right with you on the walking into walls and things. I was once told by a physical therapist that I should put my hands out to prevent myself from banging into things so I wouldn't bruise myself. Yeah, well if I knew when I would bang into something, I would brace myself!
Gamma knife procedure 1/25/08 for a 3cm AN. Left facial weakness after contacting Ramsey/Hunt Syndrome. (They say) No hearing in left ear.

michelle d.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:25 pm »
When I start to wonder if I'll ever be "normal" again, I come into this forum and read a lot and realize that I'm not alone! I wish I could sit down in a (quiet) room with you guys.:)   Your entry Amy, hit home-- but I hadn't even thought about riding my bike yet and now I wonder how that will go!(when the snow melts.) The first time I went to get the mail after surgery, I realized my life was goimg to be different because when I went to cross the road, I almost got hit by a car! I hadn't realized how I depend upon hearing in both ears to do so many things....and I guess I didn't really "look both ways" before I crossed the road that well before because I counted on my ears hearing the vehicles, you know? I'm still very wonky head most of the time but I'm thinking that will get better as time goes by. Noisy, crowded places are very annoying (and make my ear  and head hurt)  and I can't carry on good conversations because I miss a lot of what people are saying. My husband has been awesome at repeating things and being very empathetic about that when we go out places...he keeps me "in the game" with what's being said and if he senses I'm having difficulties, we leave or go outside. He's also very attentive about sitting to my left so I can hear him better. :) When I'm walking in hallways, I find myself running my hand along the wall on the side I have no hearing--I started doing that a few months before I had the surgery because I found it helped me have better balance. Still have no taste on that side either and maybe won't ever get that back but you know, all in all, I'm coming along. Helpful to hear your experience--hang in there....it helps me to just keep a sense of humor about it--we're all so human and fragile after all. :)
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

cecile k

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 09:39:54 pm »
Hi Jan:

Yes, I really do look at the ground while walking because it just 'feels' better to me. I won't fall over if I do look up ahead but somehow it doesn't feel right. Maybe I should just force myself to look up and, after your post, got thinking more about it. I do wear glasses for long distance (driving) and should maybe wear those when walking - perhaps that would help.

Cecile