Author Topic: Breast Cancer update  (Read 54894 times)

moe

Re: Breast Cancer update
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:57 am »
I think Chemo brain is in cahoots with POST AN brain, so you have it coming at you from two angles, Kathy!

Thinking of you, praying for strength tomorrow. Enjoy your DAY!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:42 am »
Kathy, you know we will forgive you for whatever you might forget due to "chemo brain."

Best wishes for a better experience tomorrow. Take your quilt along so that you will be wrapped up in our love and prayers.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:24 am »
Kathy .....

Enjoy this beautiful day of sunshine and fun in the park!

Best thoughts and many prayers for an easy chemo tomorrow!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lori67

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:43 am »
Kathy,

I think I am having "sympathy chemo brain" for you.  At least that's the excuse I'm going to use for now!   ;)

Enjoy your picnic - what a great idea for a beautiful day!  And there shouldn't be any ants!  Have fun!

Thinking of you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2010, 09:46:44 pm »
Good luck tomorrow, Kathy.

I'll be thinking about you and praying, too.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2010, 07:04:48 am »
It is a beautiful quilt, and I'm so glad it came at just the right time.

I'll be praying for you today as you're on to treatment #2.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

moe

« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:01 am »
Kathy,
Healing thoughts coming your way today. Hope the magic quilt helped you get through your second chemo treatment.
xoxoxoxo,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:43 pm »
Sorry, I've been shipped out to Vermont to care for my aunt who fell and broke her hip five weeks earlier, so I missed the quilt arrival.  I was so looking forward to seeing it all assembled, but the photos are not appearing for me.  ??  :-[
I'm going to catch up on all of your news, Kathy, as soon as I am back in the world of high speed internet.  Caregiving takes almost my entire day and certainly my entire source of energy.  I am exhausted!
Best to you in your healing process and hope you are getting great vibes off the quilt,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

wendysig

« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
Kathy,

By now you've had your second round of chemo and I hope it wasn't as bad as the first.  You are one very brave lady and my prayers go out to you and your family. Please keep us updated when you feel up to it.

Hugs
Wendy

Donnalynn,

This was my firs look at the quilt  You did a wonderful job -- thanks!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:34 am »
Hi Kathy, I just wanted to see how you are doing and cannot imagine what you are going though...I am also hoping that the infection has gotten better and that you are not as ill with the chemo this time ?? I am also concerned as to how your family is doing as well.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and if you need to vent remember I am here at anytime...

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
I'm still here!  It's been a while since I've checked in but I'm having a great day and thought I'd say hello. 

Three chemos down, 5 to go (the next is 4/15).  I am back to work part time and it feels really good to have some sense of normalcy in my life.  The chemos have been rougher than anticpated but allegedly when I switch to a different chemo drug in early May, it will be a bit easier.  Phew!

I have purchased a variety of turban-like head coverings in all colors to match my wardrobe and I have to say they look really cute!  Lola (my wig) is not an option for me right now because she hugs my head so tightly that my incision hurts...my head has been through way too much to have anything irritate it now! 

I'm off the iv antibiotics (10 weeks was a heck of a long time!) and I'm on just a maintenance dose of oral antibiotics.  The skin is so very thin from all the surgeries that it's still very easy to ruffle up, but no signs of the dreaded infection.  Can it be that it is finally gone?  That's what I'm counting on!!!  It feels so good not to have to drag that IV pump and fannie pack everywhere.  A really good thing about that whole thing is that the central line is still holding up well, so they are using it for chemo.  The oncology team is nursing the line along so that I don't have to have another surgery to put in a port - I'm liking that!!

Well, that's about it!  Didn't want you all to think I was shrinking away in a corner somewhere.  I'm alive and doing just fine.  After a whole lot of reflection, I have come to understand that nothing about this journey is in my control other than to take care of myself as best I can.  God has a plan for me and I have to trust Him.  I am so appreciative of the prayers and support from you guys and those around me - much love to you always!!

Enjoy - winter is finally over.  Weather in Ohio is fantastic right now!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »
Kathy ~

Thanks for sharing that encouraging update with us!  I'm pleased to learn that you're almost halfway through your chemo treatments - and off the antibiotics, too!.  Your affirmative attitude is a lesson to us all about how to deal with challenges in our life.  Enjoying the spring weather is a great tonic.  I know that you'll continue to appreciate life and look forward to you sharing your progress with us.  God bless you, Kathy.  :)

Jim

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:28:31 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »
Kathy, I have been wondering how you are doing and was hoping you weren't in worse shape than have been.   You have been thru more than enough and I do hope now it does get better for you!              Very nice to hear even can work some. 
    Good luck with the next chemo and we do think of you!               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2010, 07:27:10 pm »
Oh, Kathy .....

So glad to hear the encouraging news.  You are such an inspiration with your attitude.

We are in Athens this week-end and it is indeed beautiful here ...... the flowering trees are gorgeous ..... it does much to lift one's spirits.  I'm so glad you are able to let it lift you.

..... and back to work part-time has to be a big factor in creating a sense of normalcy.

Yes, God is in control and I know He is watching over you ..... and He still has great plans for you.

My love and prayers continue.

Clarice

Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

opp2

« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2010, 08:01:07 pm »
Thanks Kathy, You are certainly and inspiration to us all.

Love and best wishes...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.