Author Topic: On a more somber note...  (Read 6023 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
On a more somber note...
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »
My amazing SIL is a nurse practitioner in Chicago.  Several years ago she founded a medical mission in Haiti and took a team of nurses and friends to set up a clinic.  They now go twice a year....and they are there now.  They were just leaving the clinic (which is in the mts. outside Port Au Prince) for the day when the quake hit.  They spent the night in a nearby hospital treating victims, tearing up scrubs to use as bandages and using broom sticks for splints.  Her team is safe, but horribly shell shocked by the carnage.  They are due to be airlifted out tomorrow, God willing.  My prayers are with them for safe travel, and I'm sending up prayers of gratitude for the work they were able to do while there.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Lilan

Re: On a more somber note...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:49:58 am »
I second that!

As I watch the Haiti coverage, I keep thinking of how *awful* and *scared* I felt for a couple of days with "surgical injuries," let's call it, in an orderly society, in a hospital, many doctors and nurses, healthy caretakers, hygiene, IV fluid and nutrition, constant monitoring, air conditioning, a menu of painkillers and pillows, etc. etc.

I'm trying to imagine being injured and in pain without any of that, with criminals roaming the street and none of the sustenance or medical attention, with dead relatives around you, children you can't get water or medicine for, and on and on..... It's epic to even think about.

ETA: By surgical injuries, I mean only the routine surgical procedures, not that anything went wrong! I'm just using it as a comparison.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:52:06 am by Lilan »
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:54:17 am »
It makes you stop and think of what we have seems trivial right now and definitely not as bad as others in the world that are going through...

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:05:08 am »
Oh Ms. Maggie~
SO thankful to people like them that share their lives and time to help others...I can't imagine what they have gone thru and are continuing to experience everyday.  I also can't imagine what y'all and all the family & friends went thru until you heard that they were OK.  My prayers are definitely with them for a safe trip back and for EVERYONE over there!

K  

Lilan ~ great way to put it - I got it...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:26:51 am »
Haiti really puts my AN in perspective!  It is horrifying what is going on there with all the carnage & criminals!  As I said my AN is trivial in comparison.   

Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

moe

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:18:15 am »
I am still in shock over the ramifications of this horrendous earthquake. Kudos to your SIL who gives her time and talents. Definitely puts things in perspective..
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:01:07 am »
No word yet on whether or not they are going to make it out on a flight.  Big knot in my stomach, although the logical part of my brain knows they are alive and well.  Can't get the images of men running around with machetes out of my head!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:41:34 am by msmaggie »
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cyrmom2

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:07 am »
I am in awe over people that devote their skills, time and so much effort into mission trips. What a beautiful thing they are doing.  My 7 year old son is from Guatemala and we encountered many caring individuals on misson trips while traveling. 

Praying for your SIL and her team's safe return. 
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:27:26 am »
My prayers and thoughts are with them to.

Best Wishes,

Pat

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 02:53:31 pm »
Priscilla ~

My hopes and prayers for your Sister-in-Law and her medical team in Haiti, that they are able to get out safely after helping the victims of the devastating (7.0) earthquake.

Our church's youth minister, a newlywed and recent college graduate, is a native of Haiti and just learned that his family survived but were temporarily buried in the rubble of their home.  His father is a minister and both his home and his church were destroyed.  Our church family will help them rebuild.  Donny, the youth minister and native of Haiti, is thankful they survived the earthquake. 

Sadly, Haiti is one of the poorest places on earth, easily equaling most sub-Sahara countries in unemployment (50%) and low standard of living ($700. per year).  The county has only a token government and no substantial infrastructure.  When a disaster strikes, there are few resources available - government or private - to deal with the consequences.  As tragic as this is, it also offers us a fresh perspective on our own problems and highlights, once again, how fortunate we are to live in America - or, for that matter, anywhere in the industrialized western world.  I believe this is why Americans are some of the most generous people on earth when the need arises during an national emergency, as is happening now, in Haiti.  Although a lot of the eagerly contributed funds and supplies may eventually be stolen or 'disappear' in that corrupt atmosphere, we still have to do what is right and just for a poverty-stricken people made desperate by this natural disaster...and, as always, we will.

Jim       
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 10:50:38 pm »
I was wondering this too...

K   :-\
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:31:51 pm »
There was a lovely girl from Portland, only out of college for a year or so, who went to Haiti to help with orphaned and abandoned children.   Sadly, she lost her life in Haiti.  I didn't know her, but the news covered the story, and she will no doubt be an inspiration to many young people who will seek out a life of service because of her. 

This earthquake in Haiti a horrible bleak story, and it will be years and years before there will be any sort of ending.  My soul wants to be there ripping up the concrete, tending to the wounded, feeding the babies, passing out the water and food, building decent housing and hugging each and every one of them. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »
I saw that story on CNN in the wee hours.  Today the Canadian troops rescued 17 high school students and their 2 chaperons, who were in Haiti for humanitarian work.  They are from BC and are now awaiting to fly home.  My heart was so heavy worrying about the kids.  I cried for joy when I saw their rescue story on the news tonight.  It really touch a nerve for me because 2 years ago my son Anthony was in the Dominican Republic, up in the mountains, helping the natives build dwellings.   

I started off on Wed with a sinus cold and it is now bronchial, so sleeping has been little or none.  I have been riveted to the TV watching the miracles and sadly the suffering coming out of Haiti.  I am so proud of the WORLD for coming together to help the poorest of the poor.  I would LOVE to adapt a child from Haiti.  I have been discussing this with my husband.  It would mean so much to me since I'm adopted.  Reality, this is not be an option for our family at this point in our lives.  Our family sponsor's a child in Chad Africa through World Vision and I know our family can afford the sponsorship of another child.   I just cannot sit and watch the agony.  I have to help.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:36:53 pm »
Sue and her husband Brian are back in Chicago safe and sound but very distressed about the conditions there.  The people need so much, but Sue feel that the hands of God are at work already with the volunteers and donations.

Priscilla

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:23 am »
Anne Marie,
 What an awesome idea! I have two adopted children from Africa one from the North and one from the South, And yes I could adopt another!!!! I'll call World Vision in the am to see about Haiti.
This would be a great Early Valentines gift. ( I adopted both of the other children on Valentines Day a year apart.
 Thanks for the idea!
 :-*
 Donnalynn

Donnalynn

I just read your post those children are very lucky to have you as their mom you sound like a truly generous and caring person.

Best Wishes,

Pat