Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434586 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1110 on: September 21, 2011, 08:52:06 am »
Hi everyone,
I've missed everyone here on the forum. I think Aug-Sept are my busiest months always. I haven't been on here since August, but just read everyone's posts to catch up. Wish I could comment on all of them!

I'm so sorry about your dog, Jill. 

Chance3 - wondering how you're doing and if you've been able to walk/run?

Since I was last on, I was down in Texas visiting my aunt with Alzheimers. I was supposed to head to Houston and meet Kay!! But that hurricane was heading up the east coast (Irene I think) and I had to get an earlier flight. I was bummed : (  but it was kind of ironic that I was purchasing D batteries and candles in south Tx (where they usually get hurricanes) to take to Maryland!

I'm still marathon training and I was doing really well with my group but the last few weeks have been busy. I went out of town a few days last week and volunteered at a Wounded Warrior Getaway. It was awesome, no time to go into details. Then my son in the USAF came home from his deployment in Afghanistan. His squad came through our local airport (most USAF troops come back through Baltimore) and we got to spend the day with him till he had to fly back to his base. So it's been busy emotional couple of weeks.

So I need to get my butt back in gear and get running again. I've run 2x in a week. And I havne't done a long run in a couple of weeks, and that is kind of the 'cornerstone' in marathon training. So, here I go again.. I NEED TO RUN TODAY. and Tomorrow. Then maybe bike Friday and run long Saturday.

It's nice hearing about what y'all have been doing. Or even if you're just trying to do, that's good too. Life gets in the way of exercising sometimes.

Everyone hang in there and keep posting. It's good to 'see' you all again!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #1111 on: September 23, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »
where IS everyone?? facebook? haha.

I have to go on record saying this or I'll be tempted to sleep in. Need to get back into the long run tomorrow morning for marathon training. I won't want to. My whole pace group I've been training with is doing a relay in the northern part of MD so I'm on my own.  I need to get rolling early because late tomorrow morning my son (who came back from his deployment in Afghanistan last week) will come home on leave ! So I want to get the running off my to do list early.

What's everyone else up to?

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1112 on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:07 am »
Been super busy w/ meetings & appointments - got the gym in one day (worked out REALLY hard) and a very long walk w/ a friend on Thursday (not quite my pace but good none the less). Hopefully meetings will lessen...

Keri, did you run???

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1113 on: September 24, 2011, 05:46:32 pm »
Keri, we have all been busy working our tails off at the gym.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1114 on: September 26, 2011, 05:45:08 am »
I have been living at school ... me and a friend who have been turning our special activity into outer space were at school all last week covering the walls with black paper splattering it with glow in the dark paint and I painted aliens to grace the entrance and made a flying saucer out of a kiddie pool and a bunch of baby saucers out of Styrofoam plates and foil ...

no I am not nutz * well the jury is out on that) we have book fair that started Thursday afternoon for parent teacher conferences and it will run all week ... we only managed to walk one day due to business and weather ... and only 3 miles then ...

but to make up for it we walked the 5K heart walk/run Saturday ...Hannah , my oldest ran it ... she came in 15th out of the 350 runners ...

I had my 2 year old granddaughter in a stroller and she finished about middle of the pack ... Sarah and a friend from school ran pushing the baby ... I was just behind mid stream ...last year me and the girls walked it in pouring rain ... this year was foggy ...about 55* ... it was nice ...
working 7:15 - 2:30 all week in book fair  ... may walk after school ...

Thursday I have a scout meeting ... if it isn't raining may trick my girls into walking ... tell them it is a nature hike for badge we are working on ... I have a couple who don't want to do any thing that involves physical activity unless it involves shopping ... then they can walk around a mall for 5 or 6 hours and not get tired ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Mei Mei

« Reply #1115 on: September 26, 2011, 07:24:43 pm »
I'm still going to the gym, but it ends this Friday and I've learned a lot from my trainer.   I've also lost 5 1/2 lbs on two weeks at the Weight Watchers program called Points Plus.   It's much better than 10 years ago, but I did well ten years ago and hope to lose my post surgery weight.

I'm using Persian Henna on my hair now since I'm afraid of the PPD and had pimples all over my head from it.  I had and am still having a GI problem that ended me up in the ER last week with a nice supportive call to our dear Phyll.   My Ehlers Danlos doctor said my aorta is getting big and don't know what that means.   I think it is from the vocal cord paralysis.   The doctor back in 1989 said I would get an enlarged heart in time, so I guess it's time.

Big news.   I called our County Hospice about my father for an informational visit and they admitted him on Friday.   They ordered Oxygen delivered.   Saw the pulmonary doc too and he ordered nebulizer treatment and the machine.   So my house looks more and more like a clinic day by day but at least I have more support.   A chaplain came, then a nurse and then a social worker.   I had three visits on the weekend and expect more later this week.

Will be going to Montreal Oct 11-15 for the Genetics Conference because I have to help babysit my grandchildren while my children are in the genetics conference.     Will be sure to use the gym in the hotel

In the meantime, the rec center across the street is free for seniors and I also joins the Bone Builders class that meets twice a week and once a week Tai Chi with a Chen trained teacher.   It's great for the balance.   Also bought a balance board that I use at the gym.   Am volunteering at Georgetown University as a medical researcher which is what I used to do before I left to become a teacher.   So I'm making lots of changes and finding good gyms and swimming pools at the local hospitals within a mile from home.   The gym classes only cost $10 a month and they make you commit to three months so I am feeling good about making good changes in my life. 

I also called ANAUSA and signed my wonderful Dr. Ducic up to be a member of ANA.   So welcome Dr. Ducic and thank you for your help!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Soundy

« Reply #1116 on: September 27, 2011, 05:04:37 am »
weighed in at nurses office yesterday and even with missing walking I have lost 5 pounds ... proof that healthy diet changes are making a difference ... seeing the loss made me feel better about missing the miles we didn't walk
girls have basketball tryouts after school today and tomorrow ... I plan on walking while they are in gym ...do some catch up work on our 400 mile by Christmas goal ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

kerijacobs

« Reply #1117 on: October 12, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »
How's everyone? Busy???? Busy working out ??

Don't feel like you have to update everything.. just give us a quick 'how's it going?' answer.

Here's my quick answer: I really need to go run NOW and i'm putting it off, as usual.
I have a marathon in 2 1/2 weeks.

That's it for now! I'm going to go run!

Keri

Mei Mei

« Reply #1118 on: October 12, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
Good Luck!  I'm proud of you....hey, how did you become a Newbie?
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Brewers7

« Reply #1119 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
Go Keri!  I got some new running shoes for my birthday.  Saucony mesh top.  Very light weight.  I am pumped.  (My first pair of new running kicks since my surgery nearly 3 years ago)
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Soundy

« Reply #1120 on: October 18, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »
walked today for first time of any great length and I fear my left leg may all off from hip ...

too much at once  after too long of not walking daily ...

between being busy and being sick just haven't been walking like we were ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

Mei Mei

« Reply #1121 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
I came home so happy tonight from my Chen Tai Chi class (my cousin's husband said only to do Chen Tai Chi and suddenly our county Rec Dept offered it this fall).   I've had Adhesive capsulitis since 2004 and have gone to so much PT and seen 4 doctors about it with no avail.   The doctors all gave me in total 5 Cortisone shots and 3 of them wanted to do surger for the "frozen shoulder".   The Johns Hopkins doctor who is also the doc for the NY Giants said that the surgery had 50% chance of working so I opted out.

Tonight after my 4th Tai Chi class I was chatting  with a classmate and she said after so many years of spots  she had a bad shoulder like me and a bad hip but that was gone because of Tai Chi.   I then lifted up my arm which I hadn't been able to do since 2004 and suddently I was able to raise my arm all the way to my ear.   It was such an exciting moment that I had to share it with all of you.  I tried Yoga, but it was Tai Chi that did the trick for me.   Keep on trying my friends until something works for you.   Tai Chi has worked for me and I am so grateful to my teacher:  Alain.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1122 on: October 19, 2011, 03:20:49 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Congratulations on achieving success in getting relief for your 'frozen' shoulder by practicing Tai Chi - and thanks for letting others know about it.   You may have helped someone today.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #1123 on: October 19, 2011, 10:51:17 pm »
Yes, that's great Mei Mei!!

I see my earlier posts I'm newbie again. It's really ME!  I think one time I was out of town and got on the forum and didn't know my login so I may have accidently signed up as me in as a different user. And , for some reason, the last couple of times I got on the forum I guess i signed on as my alter ego. I wish I could clone myself like that sometimes.

Hope everyone is doing well!

I have a marathon in another week and a half. I would like to do a better job on this one. I'm pretty slow, but I'd like to beat some of my really slow times in prior marathons.

Keri
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1124 on: October 20, 2011, 06:14:43 am »
I'm still plugging along - usually 5 days a week. This week I am resting due to tendonitis in my right deltoid and a bruised left heel. At least I hope it is a bruise and not the first signs of a heel spur. I'll be back at it Monday, hopefully rested and refreshed.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13