Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 434563 times)

Mei Mei

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1170 on: December 17, 2011, 08:09:53 pm »
Hey, I'm proud of you.   WW is great!   

As for Restless Legs Soundy, keep on walkin'
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Kaybo

« Reply #1171 on: December 17, 2011, 10:22:15 pm »
Clarice-
I hope you know that I am so proud of you! I haven't lost near as much but I've had a few things in my way...hopefully I am past all that now and can do better. I've done really well the last couple of weeks making it to the gym 3-4 times per week. This last week, Addi didn't have early morning basketball practice so she & I went to the gym at 5:30 (AM!) 3 days. I think she was a little shocked by what all I do - especially the cardio!! LOL!

Keri-
I thought of you - twice this week I ran a mile on the treadmill (& then either kept walking then or moved on to the ARC)!! I usually stay away from the treadmill & certainly never run a mile straight w/out stopping. I'm such a wimp - I don't know how you run the long distances.

Sara & Soundy-
Sorry for the setbacks!

Keep exercising!
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1172 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:16 am »
well , we didn't make our re-set goal of 200 miles ... only made 140 ... but a teacher pointed out that all the walking from one end of the school to the other we have done would have put us way over 200 if we had logged it ...  we are going to make a New Years resolution to log the remaining 55 and hit the 200 by the last Friday in January

feeling better ...still have nagging cough from fluid being in my lungs ... just an irritation , no infection ... stone dropped into bladder but I have yet to pass it ... since it isn't causing any problems I am just living with it ...

been walking in woods stalking deer with Hannah  ... got bit Christmas Eve by a pet cow that wanted to get salt off my hand ...we had  walked back and put salt in the lick by the pond that the cows use ...only I could get bit by a cow ... topped off Christmas Eve by giving Stella a shower after she got skunked ... let me tell you now that getting in the shower fully clothed with 50 pounds of unhappy dog is no way to do Christmas Eve  :o ... at least she just got a little spray to face and didn't get skunked all over ...

haven't gained weight back which I figured with my past few weeks of less activity I would so that is good ... Bo tried to buy me some new clothes for Christmas but I wouldn't let him ...they would make me feel obligated to not drop weight in order to wear them ... ;D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Keri

« Reply #1173 on: December 27, 2011, 08:18:04 pm »
I'm so glad y'all have kept this going.
Last time I was on here, I was lamenting how busy I was Aug/Sept.
Then came October (OK, sorry for the Readers Digest version of my life this past fall).
My mom died on my birthday, Oct 24. She has suffered many years with really advance MS. It doens't make this easy, but she had great faith in the Lord, and I knew she was with Him in a much better place. She had been completely (like can't even get up into a wheelchair) bedridden for years.
That Sunday, I ran Marine Corps Marathon. I wanted to run it strong in her memory (my dad had been a Marine in Korea). I finally did a marathon under 5 hours. I was so happy I about cried.
Then I was just so busy planning her memorial service (I'm a church musician.. lots to coordinate) here in Maryland, then down in Texas. My son in the USAF couldn't come to her service in MD, but could in TX. I was so glad about that.
Then by the time I got home from all that, holiday season hit  (Thanksgiving.. Christmas.. again.. busy music season)!
So, here I am. I'm still running. I have a big trail run in a couple of weeks. Kind of nervous about that.. will tell more about that later.

I'm proud of you all! Either you're trying or intending to try and are showing up so you'll get back at it, or you're still doing something! I've gone back and caught up on everyone's posts.

Two things I'll say if you're trying to get back into the whole exercise thing - sign up for something. Like Cindy said, when she signed up for the half marathon, "now we have to take the training seriously" (or she said something like that)!
Also, try to find a buddy or friends or daughters! (like Kay).
I guess I'm saying really obvious things. Signing up for runs/races really does keep me at it. And I finally have a small group (4 of us) running friends  and I actually sometimes sort of kind of look forward to getting up at 5:30 or 6:00am on Saturdays to go run with them.

Mei Mei - come be my cheerleader at National (March 17)!!

I heard from Patrick the other day - he's about to do the Houston Marathon in two weeks? Need to check. I always think of Patrick because he raises money for MS every year with his bike ride (since my mom had MS, that cause is close to my heart).

So glad you all are still around!
Happy new year!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #1174 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »
I also find that when I sign up to do a run / walk I am more motivated ... not much going on here at the moment to take part in ... roaming the woods with the girls is good exercise and having Hannah wanting to get a deer is motivating me to get up and walk with her ...

I walk daily just not around the track and I find it hard to count walking the halls at school as exercise type walking ... I think that the extra rambling through the woods and hall walking is why I haven't gained any weight back even though I feel like I have been less active ...

there is a pole dancing exercise studio that opened up in town a couple months ago ... I hear it is great exercise and you will lose weight and strengthen your whole body if you stick to it ... maybe that is an option for me ... NOT ... but it has been suggested ... that is what this area needs is a 50 year old tottering pole dancer ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1175 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »
I'm so proud of all of you who keep this thread - and yourselves - moving  ;D

I'm in week 2 of the Run Your Butt Off program and am committed to sticking with it.  I actually made week 1 - walking 30 minutes 4x a week - into a 4 week long section.  But, hey at least I didn't quit, right?

Am having a little problem with one of my heels - someone mentioned a heel spur  :o - and I need to get that checked out, but in the meantime, I'm trying to think good thoughts.

Jan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:50:43 am by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1176 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »
Jan-
I have trouble w/ my heels...text me of you want...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1177 on: December 29, 2011, 10:51:39 am »
Will do, Chickie  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #1178 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:41 am »
Good for you, Jan, on the run your butt off thing. You're just custom tailoring your program!

I know Runners World.com has a section on injuries - there's so many types of running injuries. I know once I read an article on different injuries and it was divided up into sections - like, when to just take it easy, when to lay off for a temporary period, and when to stop immediately and get to the doc! Or something like that. There were some injuries you could just kind of cope with and carry on, but some you need to stop right away. I'm sure I'm not doing the article justice, but the Runners world website is a good resource. And there are many types of runners - beginners, those that walk/run, those that are slow, fast and everything in between.

Enjoying having my son in town - he's home on leave for a few days. This morning we bought $20 bucks of pastries and had bacon and eggs. Yikes. better get my butt moving.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1179 on: December 29, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »
Runner's World is a great resource.  Used to read it all the time when I was running.

The Run Your Butt Off book is actually written by 2 Runner's World staff.  It's a good plan for those who've run before and lapsed (like me) as well as for those who've never run before.

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1180 on: January 01, 2012, 08:52:20 pm »
Happy New Year everyone! We are just back from Christmas in Vietnam to visit our daughter. Did lots of walking, climbing and even a bike ride there. Briefly met LADavid at LAX during a layover but we were just off a turbulent flight and unfortunately not up for a satisfactory visit.

Looking forward to a great active year for all of us.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1181 on: January 02, 2012, 09:10:11 am »
Hello to all and Happy New Year!
I cooked and ate my way through the holidays and now have the extra pounds to show for it.  It seemed like we were in the kitchen planning some kind of feast at every turn. So-o-o-o-o, I have resumed my walking with great intent.  I have been out doing my 2 mile circuit every day for a week now and feel like my energy level is getting back to normal.  Rich food made me feel like a sloth! I also downloaded another book onto my MP3 player, so the time flies by as I walk.

Priscilla
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:55:57 pm by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1182 on: January 02, 2012, 04:43:17 pm »
Saralynn -

I'm jealous that you got to meet David - rough flight or not.

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1183 on: January 02, 2012, 06:06:26 pm »
Jan, as we all know from our virtual connections with David, he is a super nice guy. We had anticipated time for a nice visit during our layover, but Phil had been sick off and on during the entire 10-hour flight and thankfully still had an airsick bag or I would have thrown up all over the customs agent. By the time we were able to connect with David, I looked awful, felt wretched and smelled terrible. So instead of a visit, we said hello, took a quick picture, and he helped us find a shuttle to our next terminal. I'm sorry to have dragged him out on New Year's Eve for no more than that and hope that someday our paths will cross again under more favorable circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:10:27 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #1184 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:54 pm »
I fell on the 29th and bruised everything ... still have some pretty ugly bruises ...

went to doctor yesterday and got cleared to proceed with walking again ...  not that I ever quit if you count walking through woods in pursuit of deer with Hannah ... gotta go to Huntsville and get me a new pair of shoes ... the ones I have are about worn out ...

Sorry you didn't meet David in better shape ... hopefully you path will meet again
Translab July 2 ,2007